Original Sin?

December 10th, 2014 at 1:36:12 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: FrGamble
I agree Nareed in the sense that God was at work long before Christ was born.

You may not realize this, but you're only making it worse.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 10th, 2014 at 1:44:28 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Nareed
You may not realize this, but you're only making it worse.

When you have to go to extraordinary
lengths to prove a point, like the padre
does, perhaps you don't have one.

An atheist says there is no god, and gets
on with his day, thinking of more interesting
things. Religious people always seem to
have to prove something and are in a constant
muddle. Am I letting god down, is god letting
me down, am I sure there even is a god. There
must be, look at all the believers. They can't all
be wrong.

Oh yeah? They're saying the same thing looking
at you. It must be true, that guy believes.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 10th, 2014 at 1:57:32 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Most atheist aren't rejecting evidence of a god.

We are just waiting for it.

That's why we end up bringing up unicorns or spaghetti monsters. The standards of evidence we are asked to endorse easily could verify a whole lot of things.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 10th, 2014 at 2:47:33 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: rxwine
Most atheist aren't rejecting evidence of a god.

We are just waiting for it.

That's why we end up bringing up unicorns or spaghetti monsters. The standards of evidence we are asked to endorse easily could verify a whole lot of things.

What evidence are you waiting for? Seriously, I am wondering what would it take, beyond what we have mentioned in this thread, for you to recognize something as pointing to the possibility of a creator God?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
December 10th, 2014 at 3:06:44 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
What evidence are you waiting for?

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 10th, 2014 at 3:51:06 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: aceofspades
At least God gave you a sense of humor padre

I mind this attitude that "if it's good it came from God," particularly troubling.

As I said elsewhere, Christians do seem to think everything that's good comes from God, whether their deity is involved or not. This has all sorts of unpleasant consequences. But the attitude goes further. they seem to think they invented ethics and morality, discounting literally thousands of years of ethical and moral traditions of other, earlier religions and general philosophers.

Like they insist marriage is a "sacrament." It may be in their religion, and I wouldn't dream of objecting. but marriage 1) is a civil and legal matter as well which has nothing to do with religion and 2) marriage existed for thousands of years before Jesus. To claim ownership of it is simply insane. To dictate laws and limit civil rights of entire groups due to that claim, that's just plain cruel.

Nareed, you do realize I am an atheist, right…?
I guess God did not give you a sarcasm detector LOL

Hello—is this thing on?!?
December 10th, 2014 at 3:59:14 PM permalink
aceofspades
I agree Nareed in the sense that God was at work long before Christ was born. Even in religions outside of Judaism one can see the sparks of divine truth all around in ancient religions and philosophers. In my mind it is all preparation for the revelation of Jesus Christ, but even He stands on a strong and proud history of faithful reflections on ethical and moral principles. It's often a sign of antisemitism to fail to acknowledge that Jesus was often rephrasing or repeating teachings from the Hebrew Scriptures.

Once again, these lyrics are apropos:

Why'd you choose such a backwards time and such a strange land?
December 10th, 2014 at 5:26:40 PM permalink
Nareed
Nareed, you do realize I am an atheist, right…?

I do. I didn't think it was funny. I stated one reason why it's not funny.

Seriously, and I apologize if I'm making you uncomfortable, Christianity has too much of a stranglehold on morality and ethics in Western civilization. That's the really big problem. Even now, when Christianity has been tamed enough, it's still too big an impediment to many of us in living our lives.
December 10th, 2014 at 5:51:48 PM permalink
aceofspades
I do. I didn't think it was funny. I stated one reason why it's not funny.

Seriously, and I apologize if I'm making you uncomfortable, Christianity has too much of a stranglehold on morality and ethics in Western civilization. That's the really big problem. Even now, when Christianity has been tamed enough, it's still too big an impediment to many of us in living our lives.

I'm not uncomfortable but it appears you cannot even sit by as I good-naturedly take a jab at the padre. It was not meant for you and, if I know the padre at all, he took no umbrage with the fact I was making a joke
December 10th, 2014 at 7:04:10 PM permalink
Nareed
I'm not uncomfortable but it appears you cannot even sit by as I good-naturedly take a jab at the padre. It was not meant for you and, if I know the padre at all, he took no umbrage with the fact I was making a joke

Ok, then I'm sorry I spoiled your joke.