Original Sin?

January 5th, 2019 at 5:55:17 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: petroglyph
Do you think you would be able to read the first book, considering you may have been wrong all along?

Yes, I am sure I can read it. I think we will all learn from a critical reading of such a work. If I was wrong about something that is another way of saying I learned something, nothing better than that.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 5th, 2019 at 6:40:26 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: FrGamble
Yep, it continues to boggle the mind how Christianity so changed human history. I think the best answer to explain it is Christ's divinity, but maybe this book offers another answer. Would you and Ace want to do a book study together with it? If you do would you then be willing to do another book study of my choice?

So long as your book choice isn't the Bible - because that would result in circular reading
January 5th, 2019 at 6:53:45 PM permalink
FrGamble
Yep, I don't have a book in mind right now. Maybe another history book or maybe something from C.S. Lewis.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 5th, 2019 at 7:01:16 PM permalink
aceofspades
Yep, I don't have a book in mind right now. Maybe another history book or maybe something from C.S. Lewis.

The Screwtape Letters?
January 5th, 2019 at 7:03:39 PM permalink
FrGamble
That is a good one, but it can be a challenging read.
January 6th, 2019 at 1:19:39 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: petroglyph
We used to drive through Colorado city on our way to Mesquite to gamble. That's where one of the domiciles of the Warren Jeffs, FLDS church was located.
that is a cult, exists largely on welfare, telemarketing and expulsion of males.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Saw the same crap with the Mennonites/Hooterites in Montana.
Mennonites seem more reasonable but it was easier to avoid the draft during Vietnam than for a Mennonite to avoid his two year 'voluntary' mission.

Hudderites eat well and work well. Boys see fathers work, girls see mothers cook. only males vote. Little commerce with the outside world.

Amish mores? Remember the scene in Witness wherein the cop belts the local youthful tormenter and the first comment was a local saying its bad for tourism.
January 6th, 2019 at 4:52:06 AM permalink
FrGamble
I was watching TV last night and one of those healing evangelists came on. Oh my God, It almost made me an atheist! Seriously the fact that they are still around is satanic and a greater parody of the faith than Evenbob could come up with. In fact I wonder if those type of things have taught him what he thinks Christianity is about.
January 6th, 2019 at 5:14:48 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
which one???
January 6th, 2019 at 5:25:36 AM permalink
aceofspades
*EXCERPT*I was watching TV last night and one of those healing evangelists came on. Oh my God, It almost made me an atheist!

Now you're getting the hang of it Padre
:)
January 6th, 2019 at 10:31:31 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: aceofspades
Now you're getting the hang of it Padre
:)

It just points out the ridiculousness of
the religion. Five people can't read a
book on the nature of electricity and
come up with five different takes on it,
each one wildly different. But they sure
can with the NT. It's just demonstrates
the wishy washy nothingness of Xtionity,
there's no 'there' there. (and I only call
people 'padre' if they're actually a real
father)
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.