Fishing With Face

Thread Rating:

June 4th, 2019 at 11:39:06 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
All you need is quick reflex.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 4th, 2019 at 2:59:39 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
That's awesome and I hate it. I don't like fish... walkin' and stuff
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
June 16th, 2019 at 11:53:29 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
What broke on the boat? It's seems about time for Schadenfreude ? lol
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
June 17th, 2019 at 1:24:47 PM permalink
Face
Quote: petroglyph
What broke on the boat? It's seems about time for Schadenfreude ? lol

Dunno if there'll be much for ya. I'm just sort of mildly put out.

And I have no idea. Went with the kid and it was perfect. Returned with a crew the next week, did the shallow stuff, did ~45min of idle trolling, everything seemed normal. Went the very next day idle trolling with the kid, it all started fine, and then after a long troll I just throttled up and it all went to hell. Spittin', sputterin', backfiring. I kept it running a little above idle just cuz of the last issue with the water, but we trolled dead into the wind and the wind was coming from land; lake was as smooth as you'd want it. So we chugged for a bit before I pulled it out of gear and revved it a touch; it coughed and seemed to get to 2.5k just fine. Let it fall, put it in gear, and spittin' and sputterin'.

I couldn't figure it, and after $3k, I'm not going to. I kept it lit and just trolled back home, eventually dying for good when slowing to enter the launch. Could light it out of gear with throttle, but couldn't drop to put it in gear. F@#$ if I know. I flagged down the first boat I saw (~2min) and got towed the last 35' to the dock lol.

Boat guy says fuel filter was water free, it has spark and fuel. He suspected a loose intake manifold, sprayed it and it revved, put a socket on it and said he got ~2hrs rotation (12oclock to 2). I packed it up there and went right to the wrench. Put the boat somewhere dry and it goes back to him on Weds.

So iono. It's not my problem to fix =p And it's rained 28 out of the last 25 days (not a typo =p) I'm not missing anything yet.
June 17th, 2019 at 6:09:12 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: Face
Dunno if there'll be much for ya. I'm just sort of mildly put out.

And I have no idea. Went with the kid and it was perfect. Returned with a crew the next week, did the shallow stuff, did ~45min of idle trolling, everything seemed normal. Went the very next day idle trolling with the kid, it all started fine, and then after a long troll I just throttled up and it all went to hell. Spittin', sputterin', backfiring. I kept it running a little above idle just cuz of the last issue with the water, but we trolled dead into the wind and the wind was coming from land; lake was as smooth as you'd want it. So we chugged for a bit before I pulled it out of gear and revved it a touch; it coughed and seemed to get to 2.5k just fine. Let it fall, put it in gear, and spittin' and sputterin'.
Does that thing have a trolling plate [that dampens prop thrust}, tow a bucket, or how do you keep it down at troll speed?

Quote:
I couldn't figure it, and after $3k, I'm not going to.
Been there, spent that.

Quote:
Boat guy says fuel filter was water free, it has spark and fuel.
Since the oil separator body is non clear, I used to dribble some fluid out of the body into a glass jar so I could look for water bubbles, and other detritus.

Once after me sputtering back to the dock, after spending gobs of money having my fuel tanks redone, I did just that, checked the fluid from the body in a glass jar and no bubbles. Called the Honda man to get down there because the engines were brand new. He did the same thing, the top two carbs are set up so you can pull a fuel line so you can do that. We filled a pint Mason jar, still no bubbles! Because it was all water. There was no gas in it. The guy that changed my fuel tanks had stored my fuel in an oil drum but didn't know about leaving them tipped so rain water doesn't leak into the drum. He than pumped everything back into my tanks, including a few gallons of water. Thought I'd share?

Quote:
He suspected a loose intake manifold, sprayed it and it revved, put a socket on it and said he got ~2hrs rotation (12oclock to 2). I packed it up there and went right to the wrench. Put the boat somewhere dry and it goes back to him on Weds.

So iono. It's not my problem to fix =p And it's rained 28 out of the last 25 days (not a typo =p) I'm not missing anything yet.
You made me curious because I'm no mechanic, just broke a lot of stuff.

Just guessing that you have an aluminum intake? So I googled, wtf is the torque on an aluminum intake manifold?

We all know there is a torquing order, so for no particular reason I perused this. http://www.felpro-only.com/break_room_forum/showthread.php?tid=2438

"If you have the MS 98004 T set - with the problem-solving PermaDryPlus gaskets - the torque spec is 115 in-lbs for the 4 center bolts and 18 ft-lbs. for the corner bolts. We recommend tightening them from the center out starting at 50 in-lbs first. You will have to do the torque sequence 2 or 3 times as there is a lot of rubber to squeeze down. Once the bolts stop moving, move the torque wrench up to 115 in-lbs, again tightening them 2 or 3 times. Then finally tighten the 4 corner bolts to 18 ft. lbs."

And my hunter gatherer brain says, "my goodness" 18 ft. lbs. is nothing. Wouldn't be hard at all with an 18 inch handle to pull say 20lbs. Noon to two? Just tossing it out there, from a continent away. How old is the liquid in your fuel tank? No way this is the exact same fuel we were talking about last year after you paddled back in, right?
June 24th, 2019 at 1:25:12 PM permalink
Face
Quote: petroglyph
Does that thing have a trolling plate [that dampens prop thrust}, tow a bucket, or how do you keep it down at troll speed?

It's already too slow at idle, that's how =)

Quote: petro
And my hunter gatherer brain says, "my goodness" 18 ft. lbs. is nothing. Wouldn't be hard at all with an 18 inch handle to pull say 20lbs. Noon to two? Just tossing it out there, from a continent away. How old is the liquid in your fuel tank? No way this is the exact same fuel we were talking about last year after you paddled back in, right?

Of course it's the old gas. You think I somehow found money? lol

It was the exhaust gasket. I've kept almost all of my poverty lessons and reusing things is one of the biggest. Gaskets are no exception (including head gaskets, hasn't failed me yet!! =D) I never even think of exhaust gaskets because either it's race car (cabin filled with exhaust anyway) or wheeler (I ride faster than the gas comes out =p), so I sure didn't give a rip about an outboard some 8' behind me.

Turns out exhaust gases are hot enough to melt spark plugs. Who knew? lol

Couple days for new gaskets to arrive and I'll be back just in time for more thunderstorms. Might have to go anyway
June 25th, 2019 at 5:28:48 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Torque wrench. foot-pounds, hunter gather brain? I think I need to go get a cup of coffee and wake up before I try to tackle this torque stuff about melting spark plugs.
July 8th, 2019 at 9:56:31 AM permalink
Face
Lol, turns out the tick-a-tack in the valve train was the popping from the exhaust leak. With the new gasket, she's smooth and quiet as you want. So, I took it and broke the boy lol.

Been telling him all week the lake was a wreck. Still wanted to go. Every trib we passed looked like it was filled with interior wall paint; it was pure mud. Not "muddy". Mud. Told the boy our bay would be filled, he still wanted to go.

Got to the mouth and the mud stretched clear to Canada. It didn't even darken as it went out, I mean MUDDY. Not only that, but you could see white caps to the horizon. Jesus wept. I ain't going out in that. But Snacks and the boy wanted to try. Fine. Pain, after all, is a wonderful teacher.

I busted down to Dunkirk to avoid the tribs and the lake was still churned due to the waves, but you could see a definite line close to about where I'd need to be. Maybe I can make it work?

In the bay, there was a chop inside the break wall. I just laughed. You wanna go out? Fine. If you won't believe dad, then find out for yourself.

We got maybe 200' passed the wall lol. Looking out the side was just sky-water-sky-water. They were 4' if they were an inch, and while I've been out in bigger chop, I've NEVER been out in faster. The troughs were about as far apart as my boat is long. And my bright eyed boy and his O eyes in wonder just 5min ago was head down and about as green as they come. "I don't think we should, dad". And that was the first time he ever called off. He slept the whole way home and another 2hrs on the couch, got up for a bit, and dropped for another 12 lol.

To quote Kevin Hart, "You gon learn today!" =) And now, hopefully, my sketch ass trips have come to an end.

And, since it must, my boat broke again lol. Something in the shifter, gonna meet the wrench on the water tomorrow. Reckon I'ma get a new boat one piece at a time eventually =p

But I'm really here to bother petro. Fibreglass hulls have no lip. How in hell you mount a kicker to it? I'd hate to use the swim deck as it's "the ladies room", so it looks like some hackin' is in order. You just reinforce the hull with a plywood plate on the inside and run the bolts? Don't reckon this 30+yr old transom is gonna handle a kicker on the Great Lakes for long and I'd not like to be a mile out and rip the ass out of 'er.

My ears are on.
July 8th, 2019 at 11:19:30 AM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: Face
But I'm really here to bother petro. Fibreglass hulls have no lip. How in hell you mount a kicker to it? I'd hate to use the swim deck as it's "the ladies room", so it looks like some hackin' is in order. You just reinforce the hull with a plywood plate on the inside and run the bolts? Don't reckon this 30+yr old transom is gonna handle a kicker on the Great Lakes for long and I'd not like to be a mile out and rip the ass out of 'er.

My ears are on.
IMO, a five gallon bucket makes a better toilet than a swim platform for several reasons, and you are supposed to have a bailing device onboard anyway. I'm sure the gentlemen will turn their heads as needed. Might save the guys also, being able to get down on your knees and pee when folks are nearby.

If you mount a kicker, yes you definitely need to bolt it through the transom and reinforce a stout backing plate with either ample fiberglass, marine tex, or other suitable "bullet proof" product. The way I look at it is, you should be able to pick the entire boat out of the water by the kicker, or motor. If the kicker is going to be thought of as a rescue device, mount it like your life may depend on it. Or there abouts.

I've seen where some people have just bolted through the glass and used washers on the inside. Heard horror story's that went along with that method. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst?

What is it you plan on doing with this kicker?

Have you considered a good quality electric trolling motor? Think about it for awhile. They have some really impressive features nowadays. Memory repeat, remote/foot control, long battery life etc. etc. Those mount easy, and can even be mounted on the bow with the swing up provision for when not in use. A lot of boats are already wired for them? That would take you a long way if you were in need, give you extra battery on board for cranking, etc. The kid could run it while you fish, all kinds of plus's. They are near silent when used for stealthing into location etc. Also get it done in just a few hours without the grueling body positioning required for back plating for a kicker on the stern.

I think you might get a lot of use out of a trolling motor, where the kicker would mostly sit there and add weight, [but peace of mind]. If the electric isn't inadequate you can still start drilling.

Once you get the bugs out of your main power plant, what function would the kicker serve? If it's for emergency's, there are also little 2 or so hp clamp on, gas engines [like for canoes] that have the self contained fuel tank that would run for a few hours on one gallon, that could probably be clamped onto the swim platform ?
July 8th, 2019 at 2:35:36 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I agree with Petro, get a trolling motor. Great for trolling, and will get you home if needed when engine goes out.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.