Fishing With Face

Thread Rating:

August 25th, 2018 at 11:04:10 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
At that size and your kid catches it, aren't you obligated to get it stuffed?

"there is no more efficient bilge pump than a frightened man with a pail"

That is a good thing to be proud of, facilitating your sons wonderful memory's.

Thanks for sharing
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
August 26th, 2018 at 3:02:05 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
So basically you decided to conduct an impromptu demonstration of how to re-start the boat at an unwise time and place when some stand-by equipment was at home charging the camera you really needed there to be filming two tired distracted people puttering around in the dark while at the mouth of river on a dark and stormy night with deteriorating weather and all that river water trying to push you out to the middle of Lake Eire while you are paddling in but Snack Shack don't got no paddle and you don't got no idea whats wrong with the boat other than you turned it off when you didn't need to and found out that you couldn't turn it back on.

Normally this sort of stuff is fodder for headlines about boat found in middle of Lake Eire with no beer but half the fish in the lake aboard it.
August 26th, 2018 at 4:50:37 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Did you fry up the fish when you got home?
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
August 26th, 2018 at 5:59:49 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
wow what a smallie! that thing is going to give me nightmares!

I'm proud of that kid and I don't even know him
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
August 26th, 2018 at 7:20:32 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: Face
What a night. Ain't even mad, Jesus, but my kid can do work with a rod.
Time to show him the magic of a hammer and nail and set him to work on a winter habitat for your boat.
August 27th, 2018 at 5:07:45 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: petroglyph
At that size and your kid catches it, aren't you obligated to get it stuffed?

I said I would years ago. I figured if I ever beat any record that I've seen in my 30yrs fishing, then it would be a fish worth mounting as they'd all have to be large indeed. And not only this latest but his drum from a few years back that damn near tipped 20lbs,.... even though it's a drum, it deserves mounting. It was an absolute tank.

Going rate is ~$20 p/in. That's $1,200 for 2 decorations. For that price I'd have to learn to do it myself.

Quote: Fleastiff
So basically you decided to conduct an impromptu demonstration of how to re-start the boat at an unwise time and place when some stand-by equipment was at home charging the camera you really needed there to be filming two tired distracted people puttering around in the dark while at the mouth of river on a dark and stormy night with deteriorating weather and all that river water trying to push you out to the middle of Lake Eire while you are paddling in but Snack Shack don't got no paddle and you don't got no idea whats wrong with the boat other than you turned it off when you didn't need to and found out that you couldn't turn it back on.

Normally this sort of stuff is fodder for headlines about boat found in middle of Lake Eire with no beer but half the fish in the lake aboard it.

Didn't seem unwise, though. I probably thrice-thought it, as it was quite late and I was just tired and eager to get home. What caused me to end up showing her was precisely the thought that now was the very best time, as why delay what could be really important. Was a gorgeous night even with the rain, we were already "home",... seemed like a good idea to be responsible and get it done.

Quote: DRich
Did you fry up the fish when you got home?

Nope, all released perfectly fine. The walleye were too small anyway, I think.

Quote: odiousgambit
wow what a smallie! that thing is going to give me nightmares!

I'm proud of that kid and I don't even know him

It's unreal. We don't even catch big bass in that area, and I have traditionally never even fished that specific hump, as it was always slow to produce. A big one trolling there might nip into the 4lb range, as seen in pages and pages of posts. If you want to go for a 5lb'er, you jig craws at the shoal like we do in tourney. To bang home a 6+ out of thin air,... it's like first timer's luck, but someone forgot to turn it off for him. Every one of the 100+ times he's gone now this year, he always catches 5 times more fish, and by far the biggest one.

I'm glad he has a "thing". Mission accomplished. And yeah, couldn't be prouder.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
August 27th, 2018 at 7:55:32 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Going rate is ~$20 p/in. That's $1,200 for 2 decorations. For that price I'd have to learn to do it myself.

Maybe you should take up taxidermy. A devoted taxidermist can make 100k a year. So I quote.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 27th, 2018 at 11:09:29 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
It’s my understanding that with fish mounts, the taxidermist uses a pre-made form of the species that is approximately the size of the fish that was caught. What you are paying for is the art and materials. The actual fish is photographed and disposed of.

You could peruse the local Pennysaver ads, or check out yard sales to find an approximation, then put a new plaque on it commemorating the occassion. After all, it’s not the fish you’re celebrating, it’s the fisherman.
August 28th, 2018 at 2:51:59 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Nope, all released perfectly fine. The walleye were too small anyway, I think.
I can understand releasing those that were under a certain legal length but releasing the others? What did you do? Go home and microwave a couple of fish sticks for breakfast?
August 28th, 2018 at 4:09:28 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Ayecarumba
It’s my understanding that with fish mounts, the taxidermist uses a pre-made form of the species that is approximately the size of the fish that was caught. What you are paying for is the art and materials. The actual fish is photographed and disposed of.

You could peruse the local Pennysaver ads, or check out yard sales to find an approximation, then put a new plaque on it commemorating the occassion. After all, it’s not the fish you’re celebrating, it’s the fisherman.

Meh, I've seen commercial-type replicas. They all look, well, commercial. Like key fob quality, only blown up. And "real" ones I've seen people selling are still a good bit over $100.

Your last sentence nails it. I had a bit of trouble with the sun which darkened the pic a bit, but it's a good one (and there's a few others to work with, as well). I think just a framed pic with plaque would do the job fine. It'll have to, for now anyway lol.

Quote: Fleastiff
I can understand releasing those that were under a certain legal length but releasing the others? What did you do? Go home and microwave a couple of fish sticks for breakfast?

I dunno. I rarely keep them. Sometimes someone specifically requests some perch, I'll go perch fishing and bring some back. But just me and the kid, we just wanna catch 'em. Minnow's, on the other hand,... I guess you can't fish out a hole. We'll cross a thousand fish taken by fall's end.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.