Crimean peninsula

Page 3 of 5<12345>
March 7th, 2014 at 4:18:32 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
As near as I can tell, DC is run like a state, but without representation in Congress.

Well, they would tell you that it is not run like a state.
#1) As you mentioned, no Senators, is deemed significant as some committees are only in the Senate
#2) No building over 15 floors limits tax rolls, and the local government cannot change that restriction
#3) In the mid 1990's Congress removed the city's authority to control its own finances
#4) They cannot lend public credit for private projects;
#5) They cannot impose a tax on individuals who work in the District but live elsewhere;
#6) They cannot pass any law changing the composition or jurisdiction of the local courts;
#7) They cannot enact a local budget that is not balanced; and
#8) They have limited authority over the National Capital Planning Commission, Washington Aqueduct, or District of Columbia National Guard.

That said, no municipal organization has ever been able to build a new airport (like Dulles) and keep the old one open at the same time (like Reagan National). All municipalities have only opened new airports by first closing the old one. Only a federal government can afford to finance the new airport until it catches up (in Dulles's case that took 20 years).

This salient fact seems to go unnoticed by the number of municipalities that are making serious plans to open a secondary airport (like Las Vegas and Los Angeles).
March 7th, 2014 at 4:26:15 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
As near as I can tell, DC is run like a state, but without representation in Congress.

It runs like a county as well, a very weird hybrid. Does anyone know if DC has a prison as well as a jail, or do they mix the two functions?
The President is a fink.
March 8th, 2014 at 2:21:33 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Pacomartin

That said, no municipal organization has ever been able to build a new airport (like Dulles) and keep the old one open at the same time (like Reagan National). All municipalities have only opened new airports by first closing the old one. Only a federal government can afford to finance the new airport until it catches up (in Dulles's case that took 20 years).

This salient fact seems to go unnoticed by the number of municipalities that are making serious plans to open a secondary airport (like Las Vegas and Los Angeles).
Airport is a political term. Vegas should consider separating the Executive Jet, FedEX and Freight traffic from the Passenger Traffic.
March 20th, 2014 at 8:46:06 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Normally I'm very big on honoring ones debts, especially after my bank account in Cyprus, but I hope that Ukraine at least stiffs Russia on its enormous foreign debt to them for stealing the Crimea, and who knows what other parts are next.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
March 20th, 2014 at 9:01:06 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Crimea has been a part of Russia since Catherine the Great,
250 years ago. It's Russian, let Russia have it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 20th, 2014 at 9:57:41 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Evenbob

They let it go. Seems to me they are being Indian givers about it.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
March 20th, 2014 at 9:59:49 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

A New Cold War? Over Crimea?

The EU may open it's arms to Ukraine because of this incident.
March 20th, 2014 at 11:58:30 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
They let it go. Seems to me they are being Indian givers about it.

The Russian's are a strange people, very clannish.
I saw a man on the street survey in NYC this week
of Russian immigrants, and 90% of them were totally
for Putin. They love him and his macho Russian
attitude. This has to be mirrored in Russia itself.

The Ukraine has some of the most beautiful women
in the world. Mila Kunis, from That 70's Show, is from
Ukraine. That's reason enough to want it back.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 21st, 2014 at 4:39:56 AM permalink
s2dbaker
Threads: 13
The Ukraine has some of the most beautiful women in the world. Mila Kunis, from That 70's Show, is from Ukraine. That's reason enough to want it back.
Mila Kunis is a wicked witch!
March 21st, 2014 at 7:44:30 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Wiz,

Absolutely love that idea. "Sell" them Crimea for the debt; way to make lemonade! The Ukraine did sign an economic trade pact with the EU this morning, drawing them closer to that community and by inference, away from Russia. The one to watch for is if they try to join NATO, and whether anyone suggests that would be a good idea.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
Page 3 of 5<12345>