What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

December 29th, 2023 at 7:11:10 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I think the cost of going to the movies has its own inflation index completely independent of the rest of the economy. Doesn';t matter if the economy is getting better or worse, costs there are always going up a bit. At least that's the way it seems to me.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 30th, 2023 at 6:50:58 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
I probably go to the movies at least once a week. I love it. I don’t have the attention span to watch at home, I get distracted by my phone too often.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
December 30th, 2023 at 7:43:40 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: GenoDRPh
There's no better way to watch a theatrical movie than in a theatre.

Some like it; I don't.

Took my grandson to see the new Godzilla movie; we both thought the volume level was too loud, uncomfortably so.

Fortunately I have turned my living room into a premier viewing area with a large OLED screen and high end electronics and speakers for a quality at home viewing option.

Highly recommended: not just for viewing movies but sports...another level.
December 30th, 2023 at 8:04:02 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: ams288
I probably go to the movies at least once a week. I love it. I don’t have the attention span to watch at home

My son-in-law has the attention span of a one-year-old child. If there's anything going on in the room where you're talking to him, like a TV being on, he cannot hold a conversation. He will actually drift off in the middle of a sentence while his eyes go back to the TV. If you turn the TV off, he'll stare out the window and drift off in the middle of a conversation. He cannot hold eye contact for longer than 4 or 5 Seconds before his attention wander somewhere else. How he performs his job is a mystery to me. He's one of the most useless humans I've ever met, I can't stand to be in the same room with the guy and how my daughter puts up with him is beyond my comprehension.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 30th, 2023 at 10:18:09 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Evenbob
My son-in-law has the attention span of a one-year-old child. If there's anything going on in the room where you're talking to him, like a TV being on, he cannot hold a conversation. He will actually drift off in the middle of a sentence while his eyes go back to the TV. If you turn the TV off, he'll stare out the window and drift off in the middle of a conversation. He cannot hold eye contact for longer than 4 or 5 Seconds before his attention wander somewhere else. How he performs his job is a mystery to me. He's one of the most useless humans I've ever met, I can't stand to be in the same room with the guy and how my daughter puts up with him is beyond my comprehension.

Air traffic controller?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 30th, 2023 at 12:35:16 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: rxwine
Air traffic controller?

He has some kind of engineering job, I can't imagine who would hire him. If there's any kind of sports game on TV he's totally lost in it, you literally have to punch him on the arm really hard to get him to break his attention from the TV. How he drives a car baffles me. He belongs in a mental institution.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 30th, 2023 at 4:18:05 PM permalink
ams288
Godzilla: Minus One

Finally got around to seeing this one (in the theater). Very entertaining. Can’t believe it was made for under $15 million or something, effects were very good.

Takes place immediately after WWII. Main character is a kamikaze who chickened out of his duty. Glad I saw it.
January 2nd, 2024 at 12:44:52 PM permalink
ams288
Cute little video highlighting the right’s complete meltdown over Barbie last July:

https://x.com/projectlincoln/status/1742281325682278521?s=46&t=YzY5S35GIt5OOF8vvdFyAA

Of course, we all know now that they are trying to memory-hole that after it was such a huge success. ;)
January 2nd, 2024 at 4:20:15 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: ams288
Cute little video highlighting the right’s complete meltdown over Barbie last July:

https://x.com/projectlincoln/status/1742281325682278521?s=46&t=YzY5S35GIt5OOF8vvdFyAA

Of course, we all know now that they are trying to memory-hole that after it was such a huge success. ;)

How is that asshat Ben Shapiro part of the MAGA machine. He's always the one the left mentions every time this Barbie issue comes up. Just because sometimes he says if the election were held tomorrow Trump would win in a landslide does not mean he supports Trump. Video you posted is totally clueless. Barbie is not woke no matter how much the lefties try to pretend it is. Woke people think everything they see is woke, it's a sickness. They see everything through woke colored glasses. Wokism is a psychological disorder.
January 2nd, 2024 at 4:29:17 PM permalink
Evenbob
Finally saw Once Upon a Time in Hollywood last night and was pleasantly surprised. I totally enjoyed it. It captured the feeling of the late 1960s perfectly. It was a mature Quentin Tarantino who wrote and directed this, and there's almost no violence except at the very end. It's a character study of a TV star who goes into movies and everything about it is right on. It also involves the Manson Family and Margot Robbie steals the movie as Sharon Tate. When she's sitting in a movie theater in Hollywood watching herself in a Dean Martin movie, it's priceless. She's cute as a bug, and her total innocence is beguiling. I was not looking forward to the ending because you know what's coming, but the ending was a total surprise. Leave it to Tarantino. It was nominated for a bunch of Academy Awards and Brad Pitt won for best supporting actor. I do not know why Leonardo DiCaprio didn't win for best actor, he was terrific. But they had to give best movie and best actor to a complete unknown minority so he really didn't have a chance. If you were not around when the Sharon Tate murder happened you can't know what a big deal that was. This is before the days of mass killings and we were still pretty innocent. I didn't want to have to see that acted out on screen and it turns out I didn't have to. Tarantino portrays the Manson family morons for what they were, a bunch of dopey stupid hippies. The ending is almost comical, in fact a lot of it is comical. I will definitely watch this one again.

I especially like the part where Brad Pitt is kicking Bruce Lee's ass. Bruce Lee was an insufferable jerk, he was an egomaniac with a black belt. Back in 1970 karate was huge on TV and in the movies so I took a 6-week class. The instructor would tell us in every class that we have to ignore what we see on TV in the movies because it's a fantasy. A 120 lb person with a black belt is not going to be able to beat a 6 ft 220 lb guy who has experience as a fighter. In fact he will probably kick the black belt guy's ass. And that's what Brad Pitt does, and it's hilarious.