What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

August 6th, 2019 at 9:36:55 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Saw Halle Berry is doing movie playing a MMA fighter. That should be revealing. I don't think she's been really muscled up for anything, even the cat woman role.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 7th, 2019 at 5:42:41 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: rxwine
Saw Halle Berry is doing movie playing a MMA fighter. That should be revealing. I don't think she's been really muscled up for anything, even the cat woman role.

I thought her body was beyond amazing in Monster's Ball. (There was that one long shot of her completely nude that was just stunning.) Lean, muscled, perfect long limbs.

So I can see her doing MMA, if the story line is somehow accounting for her age in doing it. She seems about 20 years too old to play a fighter in her prime, but she's always kept herself in great shape, so maybe she can pull it off.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
August 8th, 2019 at 3:31:40 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: beachbumbabs
I thought her body was beyond amazing in Monster's Ball.

Probably the first actress who was a former model that was 10 years into her movie career before doing a nude scene. She more or less set the standard for doing a nude scene in an highly rated film instead of for the puff films.

She had a very impressive debut. Not the kind of film you expect to see a model doing.
August 8th, 2019 at 4:03:21 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I don't see many movies but I saw The Art of Racing In the Rain last week. It was a cute movie and if you like dogs you should definitely see it. Most of the movie and dialog is from the perspective of the dog which was voiced by Kevin Costner.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
August 17th, 2019 at 12:51:33 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I watched “Horrible Bosses” last night. Kevin Spacey has always been good at playing an A-hole.

It was okay, for non-theater price point.

Watched Jack Reacher? It was good enough, but not as good as Tom in MI series. Reacher is a bit too tough. Makes him a bit too superhuman, And that is even compared to his MI character who has more physical and mental anguish to accomplish his ends.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 17th, 2019 at 1:11:06 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

Watched Jack Reacher?

Seen both Reacher's half a dozen
times. I like the orig because it's
all story, there's no love interest,
no BS, just the main story and
lots of action. 2nd one is good
too because it has gorgeous
Cobie Smulders all buffed out.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 17th, 2019 at 2:53:40 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
I watched “Horrible Bosses” last night. Kevin Spacey has always been good at playing an A-hole.

It was okay, for non-theater price point.

Watched Jack Reacher? It was good enough, but not as good as Tom in MI series. Reacher is a bit too tough. Makes him a bit too superhuman, And that is even compared to his MI character who has more physical and mental anguish to accomplish his ends.

Don’t waste your time with the second Horrible Bosses movie. It was no good. Comedy sequels usually suck.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
August 18th, 2019 at 10:31:52 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

The best comedy sequel of 1964.

Quote: ams288
Comedy sequels usually suck.

The following list is an attempt to list the top 25 comedy sequels that "don't suck". Unfortunately, I think this list pretty much confirms your hypothesis.

Personally, I don't think of animated films as "comedies". I think they are family entertainment with comic elements. Any animated film that is remotely successful gets a sequel which invariably makes more money as the characters are now familiar to a worldwide audience.
Toy Story
Shrek
Monsters Inc.
Kung Fu Panda

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
National Lampoon's European Vacation
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation is a 1989 Christmas comedy film directed by Jeremiah S. Chechik. It is the third installment in National Lampoon's Vacation film series, and was written by ...more

Back to the Future Part II
Back to the Future
Back to the Future Part II is a 1989 American comic science fiction film and the second installment of the Back to the Future trilogy. It was directed by Robert Zemeckis, who directed all three ...more

Toy Story 2
Toy Story
Toy Story 2 is a 1999 American computer-animated comedy adventure film produced by Pixar Animation Studios and released by Walt Disney Pictures. Directed by John Lasseter and co-directed by Lee ...more

Shrek 2
Shrek
Shrek 2 is a 2004 American computer-animated fantasy comedy film produced by DreamWorks Animation and directed by Andrew Adamson, Kelly Asbury and Conrad Vernon. It is the second installment in ...more

Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me
Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery
Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me is a 1999 action comedy film and the second film in the Austin Powers series. It is preceded by the original film, Austin Powers: International Man of ...more

22 Jump Street
21 Jump Street
22 Jump Street is a 2014 action comedy film written by Oren Uziel and directed by Phil Lord and Chris Miller.

Addams Family Values
The Addams Family
Addams Family Values is a 1993 American dark comedy film, which is the sequel to the 1991 American film The Addams Family. It was written by Paul Rudnick and directed by Barry Sonnenfeld, and ...more

Rush Hour 2
Rush Hour
Rush Hour 2 is a 2001 martial arts buddy action comedy film. This is the second installment in the Rush Hour series. A sequel to the 1998 film Rush Hour, the film stars Jackie Chan and Chris ...more

Ghostbusters II
Ghostbusters
Ghostbusters II is a 1989 American science fiction fantasy comedy film produced and directed by Ivan Reitman. It is the sequel to the 1984 film Ghostbusters and follows the further adventures of ...more

Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls
Ace Ventura: Pet Detective
Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls is a 1995 American film and the sequel to the 1994 American film Ace Ventura: Pet Detective. Jim Carrey reprises his role as the title character Ace Ventura, a ...more

Wayne's World 2
Wayne's World
Wayne's World 2 is a 1993 comedy film starring Mike Myers and Dana Carvey as hosts of a public-access television cable TV show in Aurora, Illinois. The film was adapted from a sketch on NBC's ...more

Home Alone 2: Lost in New York
Home Alone
Home Alone 2: Lost in New York is a 1992 American Christmas family comedy film written and produced by John Hughes and directed by Chris Columbus. It is the second film in the Home Alone series ...more

American Pie 2
American Pie
American Pie 2 is a 2001 American comedy film and the sequel to the 1999 film American Pie and the second film in the American Pie film series. It was written by Adam Herz and directed by James ...more

Monsters University
Monsters Inc.
Monsters University is a 2013 animation adventure comedy film directed by Dan Scanlon.

Meet the Fockers
Meet the Parents
Meet the Fockers is a 2004 American comedy film directed by Jay Roach and the sequel to Meet the Parents. The film stars Robert De Niro, Ben Stiller, Dustin Hoffman, Barbra Streisand, Blythe ...more

The Naked Gun 2½: The Smell of Fear
The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad!
The Naked Gun 2½: The Smell of Fear is a 1991 comedy film starring Leslie Nielsen as the comically bumbling Police Lt. Frank Drebin of Police Squad!. Priscilla Presley plays the role of ...more

Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back is a 2001 American comedy film directed, written by, and starring Kevin Smith as Silent Bob, the fifth to be set in his View Askewniverse, a growing collection of ...more

Police Academy 2: Their First Assignment
Police Academy
Police Academy 2: Their First Assignment is a 1985 comedy film directed by Jerry Paris. It is the first of six sequels in the Police Academy series. Many actors return from the first film to ...more

Hot Shots! Part Deux
Hot Shots!
Hot Shots! Part Deux is a 1993 comedy/parody film, and a sequel to the 1991 comedy Hot Shots!. The sequel primarily spoofs the 1988 action film Rambo III. Directed again by Jim Abrahams, the ...more

Army of Darkness
Evil Dead II
Army of Darkness is a 1992 American dark fantasy action comedy film directed by Sam Raimi. It is the third installment of The Evil Dead franchise. The film was written by Sam Raimi and his ...more

Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey
Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey is a 1991 American science fiction and fantasy comedy film, and the directing debut of Peter Hewitt. It is the second film in the Bill & Ted franchise, and a ...more

Airplane II: The Sequel
Airplane!
Airplane II: The Sequel is a 1982 sequel to the 1980 American comedy film Airplane!. First released on December 10, 1982, the film was written and directed by Ken Finkleman and stars Robert ...more

Beverly Hills Cop II
Beverly Hills Cop
Beverly Hills Cop II is a 1987 action comedy film starring Eddie Murphy and directed by Tony Scott. It is the first sequel in the Beverly Hills Cop series. Murphy returns as Detroit police ...more

Clerks II
Clerks
Clerks II is a 2006 American comedy film written and directed by Kevin Smith, sequel to his 1994 film Clerks, and his sixth feature film to be set in the View Askewniverse. The film stars Brian ...more

Kung Fu Panda 2
Kung Fu Panda
Kung Fu Panda 2 is a 2011 3D American computer-animated action comedy-drama martial arts film, directed by Jennifer Yuh Nelson, produced by DreamWorks Animation, and distributed by Paramount ...more
August 18th, 2019 at 10:49:19 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I just watched the Netflix movie I Am Mother. One thing that bothers me about some movies is when the leave they audience hanging with no closure, as this movie does. Or am I just too thick-headed to understand it? Anyone else seen it and your thoughts on the ending. For the benefit of those who haven't seen it, please use spoiler tags if discussing the ending.

Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
August 18th, 2019 at 11:20:46 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin

he following list is an attempt to list the top 25 comedy sequels that "don't suck".

I can proudly say I saw only
11 of the originals and 4 of
the sequels.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.