What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

December 30th, 2018 at 2:52:47 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: ams288
At this point, I don’t even know what you’re trying to argue: the Avatar sequels won’t be successful because they’re sequels?

4 sequels, all made at once. With a
sequel, you gauge how many more
sequels you'll make on the success
of the first sequel. Nobody has an
ego (except Cameron) big enough
to think they're smart enough
to make multiple sequels all at
the same time. If just one of early
one bombs, you're screwed.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 30th, 2018 at 3:02:59 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
Both sequels to Back to the Future were filmed at the same time. And Peter Jackson directed all the Lord of the Rings movies at the same time. He paid the actors double the money, but got three movies out of them, thereby saving money for the studio.
December 30th, 2018 at 3:13:09 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
“Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” is an animated feature rebooting the Spider-Man origin story in an alternate universe. The story is urban fresh, and the direction is dynamic, using every shade of red and blue in the paintbox. This makes the film tough to watch for anyone over 22. The clashing red/blue and the hectic use of flashing lights and quick cuts can leave folks with a headache. The animation is a mix of photo-realistic backgrounds, CGI with shading (like “The Incredibles”, and old school 2-D (like the old “Looney Toons”). They also included an “out of phase” effect that left me wondering if it was a 3-D screening and they didn’t give me the glasses.

The story revolves around a teen named Miles Morales, who is the second person in his universe to get bitten by a radioactive spider which imparts super powers. Unfortunately, this occurs just before a sequence of events that opens a portal between multiple universes, making it difficult for him to learn how to master his new abilities. Will he be able to learn to use his Spider powers in time to save the world?

The script pokes fun at the low points in the history of Spider-Man. It also includes things that you would have to consider if you were learning to use brand new super powers. For example, jumping off a building with confidence, or controlling the ability to stick to things.

If you are a Spider-Man fan, this is a must see. If you are familiar with the origin story, but haven’t been keeping up with the past couple of reboots, you may still enjoy it. If you are epileptic, or sensitive to flashing lights, you may not enjoy it.

I give it 7 anvils out of 10.

Be sure to stay through the credits for a touching Stan Lee tribute, and a hilarious bit in the style of the late 60’s TV show.
December 30th, 2018 at 3:47:47 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: zippyboy
Both sequels to Back to the Future were filmed at the same time. And Peter Jackson directed all the Lord of the Rings movies at the same time. .

LoTR was from the books, there had to be
3. BTTF took a chance, the 3rd sequel
made less than half what the orig did.
The 2nd made about half.

And BTTF 3 was so ridiculous, I still haven't
seen all it. I usually quit about 20 min in.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 30th, 2018 at 4:43:22 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Of course if you have multiple movie project that fails... it could be a big risk.

Quote:
It’s not easy to end a studio like United Artists, which had Annie Hall, Raging Bull and Apocalypse Now in various stages of production at the same time.
United Artists was the flagship store for the golden age of cinema, founded by cinematic greats Charlie Chaplin, Mary Pickford and DW Griffith, and it took one misfiring and costly movie like Heaven’s Gate to end the dynasty. Known to the press as Apocalypse Later, Cimino reportedly shot well over one million feet of footage during the exhausting and sisyphean principal photography. Cimino’s carte blanche reign style led to the destruction of United Artists and its subsequent sale to MGM Studios

I plan to watch Heaven's Gate one day.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 30th, 2018 at 4:45:50 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Evenbob
4 sequels, all made at once.

They aren’t doing all 4 at once. Last interview I saw with James Cameron, he said they’d already finished filming the first two of the sequels, and their success would determine whether or not they go through with the other two.

Quote:
With a
sequel, you gauge how many more
sequels you'll make on the success
of the first sequel. Nobody has an
ego (except Cameron) big enough
to think they're smart enough
to make multiple sequels all at
the same time. If just one of early
one bombs, you're screwed.

None of them will “bomb.” They might not make as much as the first Avatar (what movie has?), but they’ll be huge. Especially internationally. Avatar was a beast overseas.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
December 30th, 2018 at 5:55:06 PM permalink
Evenbob
They aren’t doing all 4 at once. .

Basically, they are. 2 are done and in
editing, the last 2 are filming right
now. The point is, all 4 are written
and cast and will all be done before
the first one comes out.

I think the first one will do OK, the
last two will break even maybe,
but will probably lose money. They
aren't about anything, it's just
fantasy crap. Avatar was unique,
5 of them is major overkill.
December 30th, 2018 at 6:36:50 PM permalink
ams288
Basically, they are. 2 are done and in
editing, the last 2 are filming right
now.

False. They haven’t started filming the last two.

Principal photography on the first two sequels is done - but Avatar movies will be mostly CGI, so principal photography is just a tiny part of the process.
December 30th, 2018 at 6:41:06 PM permalink
Evenbob
False. They haven’t started filming the last two..

They're in pre production and all 4
WILL BE DONE before the FIRST
ONE comes out. That's the POINT
of all this. Jeez... Written, filmed,
in the can.
December 30th, 2018 at 7:12:07 PM permalink
ams288
They're in pre production and all 4
WILL BE DONE before the FIRST
ONE comes out.

That’s. Not. True.

You’re spreading fake news.