What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

December 8th, 2018 at 8:17:41 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
Some special FX hold up really well, like in Starship Troopers. Others were awful even when they came out, like in the second Matrix movie when Neo fought all the Agent Smiths. So avoidable.

The Wizard of Oz was already remade in 2013, with Oz the Great and Powerful, retelling the story from the Wizard's point of view instead of Dorothy's.
December 10th, 2018 at 12:32:31 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Evenbob
I like Julia Roberts in some things, so
I watched without reading the reviews.
Yikes. And Julia is getting long in the
tooth, her mouth just gets more
frightening the older she gets.

👀

“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
December 10th, 2018 at 12:54:08 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: zippyboy
Some special FX hold up really well, like in Starship Troopers.

Veerhoven has a way with depicting violence that stays relevant for a long time. This clip is from a movie he made 35 years ago in Holland for a relatively low budget. You will probably have a visceral reaction to the violence.

December 11th, 2018 at 4:19:12 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
You just know a movie sucks when all
you see are ads for it 5 times an hour
the week it opens.

Mortal Engines. 37% on Rotten.

It's just a shame its messy pacing and clunky, predictable story are so hard to stomach. Visuals aside, Mortal Engines is mediocre through and through. A dystopian film that invites you to ask: "How could humanity screw it all up so badly?," Mortal Engines will leave you wondering only: "How could the filmmakers screw up this amazing world so badly?"
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 11th, 2018 at 6:51:50 PM permalink
ams288
Quote: Evenbob
You just know a movie sucks when all
you see are ads for it 5 times an hour
the week it opens.

Mortal Engines. 37% on Rotten.

It's just a shame its messy pacing and clunky, predictable story are so hard to stomach. Visuals aside, Mortal Engines is mediocre through and through. A dystopian film that invites you to ask: "How could humanity screw it all up so badly?," Mortal Engines will leave you wondering only: "How could the filmmakers screw up this amazing world so badly?"

Yeah, I could tell this one was going to bomb from a mile away. Looks like it cost a lot of money, and yet, I can’t tell how anyone would expect it to recoup that kind of budget...
December 11th, 2018 at 6:55:33 PM permalink
ams288
On the other hand, that animated Spider-Man movie is 99% fresh at RT. I thought it looked stupid, but the positive word of mouth has me interested.

I always take my nephews to see a movie on Xmas night, and with no Star Wars movie to see this year, we might have to see it.
December 11th, 2018 at 10:45:17 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: ams288
On the other hand, that animated Spider-Man movie is 99% fresh at RT. I thought it looked stupid, but the positive word of mouth has me interested.

I always take my nephews to see a movie on Xmas night, and with no Star Wars movie to see this year, we might have to see it.

Disney made a fortune on Black Panther, now Sony Pictures wants in on the money.

Sony's biggest film so far in 2018, has been Venom, another spider man spin-off.

Last year Sony's two biggest films were:
Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
Spider-Man: Homecoming

So I guess we can look forward to three Spider-Man films next year.
December 11th, 2018 at 11:38:22 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: rxwine
Man, Queen's 1985 live aid concert is one of the best live concerts recorded on youtube. I hear it's reproduced in the movie.

But I recently stumbled across this gem, so I'll post this instead.

This was exactly the subject of today's NYT crossword. It's a good puzzle. Kind of neat to have just read this today, the puzzle pops up on the app, and I'm going, no....too much coincidence

Hey. This has turned into a great thread lately. Maybe because there are so many good movies out this year. Fun binge-read after a few months away.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
December 12th, 2018 at 12:32:09 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: ams288
👀

That's a Rell of a typo.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
December 12th, 2018 at 12:54:26 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: beachbumbabs

That's a Rell of a typo.

And our minds went right to all
of them, especially the big one
on her face.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.