What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

February 7th, 2015 at 8:15:08 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Thanks for the write up OG. I enjoyed it. There is a film called Repo Men with Jude Law and Forrest Whittaker you might want to check out if you haven't already seen it. It has similar themes.
February 7th, 2015 at 9:25:15 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Pacomartin
The writer, Phillip Dick, died young in 1982 just as the mining of his writings for movie story ideas had just begun.

that is a pretty remarkable list, hadn't realized it.

Quote: Ayecarumba
Thanks for the write up OG. I enjoyed it. There is a film called Repo Men with Jude Law and Forrest Whittaker you might want to check out if you haven't already seen it. It has similar themes.

You're welcome, and perhaps I will see the other film.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
February 7th, 2015 at 12:02:11 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: odiousgambit
that is a pretty remarkable list, hadn't realized it.

In compiling it, I came across this French film based on one of his novels (the only non sci fi book ever published in his lifetime). It explores the genre made famous by Cervantes where the insane are the only true visionaries.
February 7th, 2015 at 2:18:25 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I was a Science Fiction Book of the Month subscriber
in the early 60's, when Dick and Heinlein and Asimov
were doing their best work. It was always exciting
the get the latest Dick book, he was amazing. Such
a great loss to die so young.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 9th, 2015 at 9:22:02 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I just watched TED over the weekend. The way it started I thought it might be a classic in my opinion. Sadly, half way through the movie it really slowed down and I thought it was only marginal after that.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
February 9th, 2015 at 11:53:55 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Quote: DRich
I just watched TED over the weekend. The way it started I thought it might be a classic in my opinion. Sadly, half way through the movie it really slowed down and I thought it was only marginal after that.
There's a sequel coming.

I saw, "The Wedding Ringer". I wish had held out for "Sponge Bob". It was that bad.

"Kingsman" is coming out this weekend. The trailer looks like it will be a fun, "Young James Bond" film. Samuel L. Jackson apparently is the bad guy. He seems to be carving a niche for himself as the "Anti-Morgan Freeman". The movie has an "R" rating, which is a little surprising, but maybe not so much when you consider that the writer of "Kick-Ass" and "Watchmen" was involved. It also runs 129 minutes, which seems long for an action flick.
February 9th, 2015 at 1:45:31 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Quote: Evenbob
I was a Science Fiction Book of the Month subscriber
in the early 60's, when Dick and Heinlein and Asimov
were doing their best work. It was always exciting
the get the latest Dick book, he was amazing. Such
a great loss to die so young.

Also Harlan Ellison's short stories. "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream" still resonates 50 years later. Charles Beaumont ("Miss Gentilbelle"), Richard Matheson ("Third from the Sun").... Theodore Sturgeon... some real gems.
February 9th, 2015 at 1:47:24 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
If anyone wants to watch a really strange movie, I suggest Canibal the Musical. It is written by the South Park guys and is based on a true story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannibal!_The_Musical

At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
February 9th, 2015 at 4:42:35 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Ayecarumba
I saw, "The Wedding Ringer". I wish had held out for "Sponge Bob". It was that bad.

For the highest paid female TV star, Kaley Cuoco only works in terrible movies. It doesn't make sense somehow.
February 9th, 2015 at 5:48:03 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Quote: Pacomartin
For the highest paid female TV star, Kaley Cuoco only works in terrible movies. It doesn't make sense somehow.
It was really Kevin Hart's movie. She has a pretty minor role. Did I mention her character's grandmother gets set on fire... for laughs. Yeesh, it was that bad.