Quote: beachbumbabs
- it was magical.

Those experiences are few and far between,
they aren't the norm. Movie theatres have
been dying for decades, they used to be
the only place you could see 'moving pictures.'
Now they're the last place many people want
to see them.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 26th, 2014 at 7:03:51 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: TheCesspit
Indeed, there is something great about a mass audience reaction to a film. Watching 'The World's End' in a relatively crowded theatre made it at least 25% better than watching it on the small screen.

'Jaws' was the last movie where I experienced
a really unusual audience reaction. It was
a hit movie in 1975 and the place was packed.
When the story of the USS Indianapolis was
being told so masterfully, the theatre was silent
as a tomb.

'You know that was the time I was most frightened? Waitin' for my turn. I'll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went in the water, three hundred and sixteen men come out, the sharks took the rest, June the 29, 1945. Anyway, we delivered the bomb.'
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 26th, 2014 at 7:09:30 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: beachbumbabs
Granted people have gotten ruder. Texting/cell phones/talking at the screen/to each other more. But a good movie (last one I saw in a theater was Les Miserables) holds people enthralled for a commonality of experience that's worth enjoying. Standing ovation from everyone there just because it was THAT good. Hear a pin drop before that. Choppy or mediocre movies, you can tell because the talking/texting/etc. shows up as people get bored, though of course it's annoying when they do that.

I remember the Thalia theater in New York City's West Side ... sort of an artsy, Woody Allen type place. When they screened Singing in the Rain the audience rose and applauded the empty screen.

Of course this was eons ago. Few movies seem to be that enthralling these days. I do remember some Scandinavian movie I didn't quite grasp, Elvira, as the young wife was happily catching a butterfly the suddenly silent soundtrack is punctuated by the sound of a single shot from her husband's military sidearm and the audience seemed to approve the beauty of the scene. Weird that I remember that. Never understood why anyone, much less the females in the audience, all seemed to be happy. Maybe the acting was worse than I realized?
February 26th, 2014 at 8:03:35 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: TheCesspit
Watching 'The World's End' in a relatively crowded theatre made it at least 25% better than watching it on the small screen.

I think The World's End would be a blast in a Cinema Bar.
February 27th, 2014 at 8:48:23 AM permalink
boopsahoy
Threads: 1
The Exorcist was a great movie to watch in a theater. When it opened people were fainting!
February 27th, 2014 at 9:59:25 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Pacomartin
I think World's End would be a blast in a Cinema Bar.

Your image doesn't show... but yes, World's End the drinking game would be fantastic.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
February 28th, 2014 at 7:31:36 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Just saw All is Lost. Pretty good, recommended.
February 28th, 2014 at 8:43:10 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
None... and if I had seen any of the recently released stuff about digitized vampires I sure would hope to have forgotten the ordeal.
March 5th, 2014 at 8:08:28 AM permalink
boopsahoy
Threads: 1
Quote: Mosca
Just saw All is Lost. Pretty good, recommended.

Much more enjoyable than I expected. Really liked it!
March 5th, 2014 at 9:45:45 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
The last movie I saw in theaters was the second Batman movie from the current batch a few years ago. The last newish movie I saw was the latest in the Terminator saga (not so good).

On the other hand I plan to watch Cleopatra on netflix this weekend. Of course, it's far from recent.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
Page 3 of 437<123456>Last »