Nine candidates for 4th Google Fiber city

February 19th, 2014 at 4:10:00 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

At this rate it will take a while to build out country. The Northeast is noticeably blank.

The merged Comcast/Time Warner Cable covers a lot bigger area.
February 20th, 2014 at 5:17:03 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I don't know what a google city is supposed to have. Connectivity everywhere and real close to "the backbone" of the net with none of this antiquated stuff that would slow anything down.

Gee, email and solitaire and pinterest just ain't all that important to me. I might move to Portland for the beer or the music or the greenery but not for one tenth of a nanosecond on my internet connection.

VC types going to be attracted to a tenth of a nanosecond? Maybe but they won't relocate to get it. Look at all those backup hosting centers that built in the middle of nowhere and offered the much touted security. All the techie types said "I don't want to live in the middle of nowhere, build it a bit less safe back in civilization".
February 20th, 2014 at 7:54:26 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Fleastiff
I don't know what a google city is supposed to have. Connectivity everywhere and real close to "the backbone" of the net with none of this antiquated stuff that would slow anything down.

Gee, email and solitaire and pinterest just ain't all that important to me. I might move to Portland for the beer or the music or the greenery but not for one tenth of a nanosecond on my internet connection.

VC types going to be attracted to a tenth of a nanosecond? Maybe but they won't relocate to get it. Look at all those backup hosting centers that built in the middle of nowhere and offered the much touted security. All the techie types said "I don't want to live in the middle of nowhere, build it a bit less safe back in civilization".

Quote: Oregonian

Google Fiber Q&A: Who needs a gigabit, and what might it cost?

In Kansas City, the first city where it offered service, it charges $70 a month – plus local taxes and fees. High-definition cable TV is available for an additional $50 a month. Google includes a DVR, which it calls a “Storage Box,” that can record up to eight shows at a time and includes 500 hours of HD storage.

By comparison, Comcast’s 20 mbps service costs $54 to $65 a month, depending on whether or not subscribers also have TV or phone service. Comcast’s basic TV package is $70 a month (plus taxes and fees). Various introductory packages and service bundles can reduce that cost, but a DVR and HD service cost extra.

Additionally, Google Fiber offers slower Internet connections of 5 mbps (and 1 mbps upload) for at least seven years to customers who pay a $300 installation fee.

So for a one time fee of $300 you could purchase a VOIP phone, browse the web and do email for 7 years. Even a simple home phone service often costs $300 for one year.

With fiber, you could download an entire HD movie in about 33 seconds. The same task would take 2 hours on the free service.

While you may not move somewhere just for fast internet, companies are more likely to locate in these cities. You might move somewhere for a career.