Google Chromecast

Page 3 of 5<12345>
April 11th, 2014 at 11:34:11 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
Our own esteemed Ted kindly provided me with a Chromecast on his recent trip down south of the border. I'll post about how using it goes.

Aereo has announced that it will stream on Google Chromecast as of May 29, 2014 (presuming it survives the Supreme Court case). If you are unfamiliar with Aereo, it is available in certain cities, and it streams "over the air" television stations in that market for $8 a month. It also provides 20 hours of DVR service for that price, or 40 hours for an additional $4 a month.

Aereo claims that it is selling nothing but a glorified remote antenna, and it's DVR service is covered under existing laws. The networks claim that Aereo is violating copyright law.

It is not totally clear why the networks don't sell their own similar service, but presumably it interferes with their negotiations with cable and satellite companies.

If Aereo wins the court case, then the networks might have no choice but to sell a competing service.

As always, there are some people who think that over the air television should be replace entirely with a similar service. The reasoning is that people will all need internet in the future, just as all people should be able to phone service in the past. The bandwidth currently used for television will get a larger price if sold for cell phone service.

If you purchase Aereo service in NYC, you get the following channels.
    Major Networks
  1. CBS WCBS (2.1)
  2. NBC WNBC (4.1)
  3. FOX WNYW (5.1)
  4. ABC WABC (7.1)
  5. CW WPIX (11.1)
  6. PBS WNET (13.1)
    Syndicated Programs & Movies
  7. Cozi TV WNBC-DT2 (4.2)
  8. MOVIES! WNYW-DT2 (5.2)
  9. MyNetworkTV WWOR-DT2 (9.2)
  10. Bounce TV WWOR-DT3 (9.3)
  11. AntennaTV WPIX-DT2 (11.2)
  12. ThisTV WPIX-DT3 (11.3)
  13. ION WPXN (31.1)
  14. GetTV WFUT-DT3 (68.3)
    Lifestyle & Interest
  15. ION Life WPXN-DT3 (31.3)
  16. Livewell WABC-DT2 (7.2)
  17. NYC Life WNYE-DT (25.1)
  18. NYC Gov WNYE-DT2 (25.2)
  19. CUNY TV WNYE-DT3 (25.3)
    Children's Programming
  20. PBS Kids WNET-DT2 (13.2)
  21. Qubo WPXN-DT2 (31.2)
    Spanish Language
  22. MundoFox WPXO (34.1)
  23. Telemundo WNJU (47.1)
  24. Azteca America WMBC-DT6 (63.6)
  25. Aliento Vision WMBC-DT7 (63.7)
  26. UniMás WFUT (68.1)
  27. Univision WFUT-DT2 (68.2)
    Religious
  28. UANetwork WEBR (17.1)
    Home Shopping
  29. HSN HSN (60.1)
  30. WMUN-CD WMUN-CD (45.1)
  31. HSN2 HSN2 (60.2)
    Asian Languages
  32. WMBC-TV WMBC (63.1)
  33. Christian Global Network Television WMBC-DT3 (63.3)
  34. SinoVision WMBC-DT4 (63.4)
  35. New Tang Dynasty Television WMBC-DT5 (63.5)
    Additional Channels are available at no extra charge to paid Aereo customers.
  36. Bloomberg TV 24-hour financial and business news.

If you purchase Aereo service in Austin, you get the following channels.
    Major Networks
  1. CBS KENS-DT (5.1)
  2. NBC WOAI-DT (4.1)
  3. Fox KABB-DT (29.1)
  4. ABC KSAT-DT (12.1)
  5. The CW KMYS-DT (35.1)
  6. PBS KLRN-DT (9.1)
    Syndicated Programs & Movies
  7. MeTV KSAT-DT2 (12.2)
  8. GetTV KWEX-DT2 (41.2)
    Lifestyle & Interest
  9. LiveWell WOAI-DT2 (4.2)
  10. Create KLRN-DT4 (9.4)
  11. Enlace KHCE-DT4 (23.4)
  12. ZUUS Country KABB-DT2 (29.2)
    Children's Programming
  13. Smile of a Child KHCE-DT5 (23.5)
    Spanish Language
  14. Estrella TV KENS-DT2 (5.2)
  15. V-Me KLRN-DT3 (9.3)
  16. UniMás KNIC-DT (17.1)
  17. UniVision KWEX-DT (41.1)
  18. Telemundo KVDADT (60.1)
  19. Exitos TV KVDA-DT2 (60.2)
    Religious
  20. Trinity Broadcasting KHCE-DT (23.1)
  21. The Church Channel KHCE-DT2 (23.2)
  22. JCTV KHCE-DT3 (23.3)
    News & Information
  23. Weather KENS-DT3 (5.3)
  24. World KLRN-DT2 (9.2)
    Additional Channels are available at no extra charge to paid Aereo customers.
  25. Bloomberg TV 24-hour financial and business news.
April 11th, 2014 at 2:38:48 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I subscribed to Aereo during their free Detroit beta. It did not live up to my expectations.

They did provide the Detroit stations. They did not provide other stations that could be picked up by an antenna in Detroit, such as Windsor 9, Toledo stations, and Ann Arbor 31, which broadcasts from Southfield.

When my free trial period expired, I elected not to pay to continue service.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
April 11th, 2014 at 3:40:08 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Aereo would be in trouble if they transmitted the signal from stations out of the DMA. Their whole legal strategy depends on that argument.
April 12th, 2014 at 8:14:51 AM permalink
Dalex64
I thought their justification was each user had their own remotely located antenna. What makes the signals in Detroit legal to retransmit, but a signal from across the river illegal?

The chromecast looks interesting, especially since it is so inexpensive. I allready own other devices for watching internet streaming video, though, in a PS3 and a laptop with hdmi.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
April 12th, 2014 at 11:09:14 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Dalex64
I thought their justification was each user had their own remotely located antenna. What makes the signals in Detroit legal to retransmit, but a signal from across the river illegal?

The chromecast looks interesting, especially since it is so inexpensive. I allready own other devices for watching internet streaming video, though, in a PS3 and a laptop with hdmi.

Technically a TV station only has a license for a designated market area. The Fcc endeavors to minimize leakage (by controlling tower height and power, especially power at night), but individuals are permitted to watch anything they can receive. But Aereo could easily allow someone in North Dakota to watch the NYC stations. Aereo voluntarily polices themselves so that doesn't happen , so that they verify home addresses and warns people they will terminate service if they try to watch out of the market area. They have to do that so that they have a valid argument for court.

Roku also released a new streaming stick for about $50. The primary advantage over a Chromecast is you can operate it with a remote if you want, but you can also operate with a smart phone or tablet. There are also about a 1000 channels with Roku, but most of them are junk. The majority of people only watch Netflix and Amazon Prime. Personally, I think the Roku is worth the extra $15-$20 as I like the option of using a remote.

Some people get tired of wiring their laptop to the tv and think it is worth the money to purchase a separate device. But there is no pressing need to replace devices you already own. In the future, with TV's weighing under 20 pounds, it may simplify putting it on a wall if you don't have a separate box and power cord.

A 25' HDMI cable could cost you $20-$45 anyway.
June 22nd, 2014 at 12:41:14 PM permalink
bunya33
Threads: 0
So, is it worth it? Where I live, I have to pay a tax for owning a TV or a radio, so I'm thinking of getting Netflix or Chromecast. Which do you think is better and more worth it? I'm more for Netflix right now.
June 22nd, 2014 at 12:56:15 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: bunya33
So, is it worth it? Where I live, I have to pay a tax for owning a TV or a radio, so I'm thinking of getting Netflix or Chromecast. Which do you think is better and more worth it? I'm more for Netflix right now.

The Chromecast is just a dongle that connects tot he TV so you can watch streamed content on it. It's not a content service. I use it mostly to watch Netflix content on my TV.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 23rd, 2014 at 8:24:56 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
The Chromecast is just a dongle that connects tot he TV so you can watch streamed content on it. It's not a content service. I use it mostly to watch Netflix content on my TV.

There are a number of streaming VOD services (i.e. content services) so far usually less than $8 per month apiece.
Netflix
Hulu Plus
Hallmark SpiritClips
Warner Archive

As Nareed pointed out, Chromecast is a dongle. Other dongles include Roku Streaming stick. Also there are a variety of boxes like Amazon's Fire TV, and Roku boxes, plus boxee. Chromecast is the cheapest one, but it requires another device (like a Smart Phone or a tablet) to operate it.

Roku also has about a thousand free streaming services, and for most of them you get what you pay for. But some people who have specific interests (like GODtv for religious broadcasting) may find some of them interesting.

But you tend to give up watching new material. Most broadcast TV shows are available on the internet, but other than NBC most network sports are unavailable.
June 23rd, 2014 at 9:11:57 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
There are a number of streaming VOD services (i.e. content services) so far usually less than $8 per month apiece.
Netflix
Hulu Plus
Hallmark SpiritClips
Warner Archive

Many of which are available only in the US and Canada (and sometimes not even Canada).

Thus far the only service worth anything I've access to is Netflix. I could play video-podcasts through a podcast player, too. That's about it.

When I hear about cord-cutting, I have to smile. In the market I live in, this would leave me with so little TV available I may as well not bother.

I've the notion that even netflix isn't that good here. I haven't compared it to what it offers elsewhere. but here you find a lot of "local" content I'm not interested in. I suppose it makes sense in the market, but it doens't help me. I'd rather have more recent seasons of Mythbusters, than all the programming in Spanish there is (I see exactly none of it; I haven't tuned in to a local channel for anything other than sports or news in decades).
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 25th, 2014 at 12:14:20 PM permalink
Dalex64
Quote: Pacomartin
Aereo would be in trouble if they transmitted the signal from stations out of the DMA. Their whole legal strategy depends on that argument.

The Supreme Court has ruled against Aereo.
Page 3 of 5<12345>