So who pays for Data Centers? And Why?

Page 1 of 212>
December 4th, 2013 at 10:11:38 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Sears is converting old auto service buildings in shopping centers to Data Centers.

So that means they will stuff the building with Servers and Switches ... but who pays?

Does someone rent out a Data Center? Most internet traffic doesn't seem to go through data centers. So why do they exist?

How do you market a Data Center's services? What if you open one and nobody comes knocking at the door to rent you?
December 4th, 2013 at 10:52:52 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Fleastiff
Sears is converting old auto service buildings in shopping centers to Data Centers.

So that means they will stuff the building with Servers and Switches ... but who pays?

Does someone rent out a Data Center? Most internet traffic doesn't seem to go through data centers. So why do they exist?

How do you market a Data Center's services? What if you open one and nobody comes knocking at the door to rent you?

This very site is probably hosted in a data centre somewhere.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
December 5th, 2013 at 12:44:21 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: TheCesspit
This very site is probably hosted in a data centre somewhere.
Which is rather good evidence that all those data centers to be built in the rugged, standalone buildings by Sears are not going to be hosting this site.

I've heard the term "dark fiber" and I think soon there will be "Even Darker Data Centers". All of them full of adjectives about being rugged, well powered, geographically remote from dangers but not remote from nightlife and techie types, green, power lean, .... and totally, totally devoid of customers. Someone just introduced a twelve core lugable that is a Data Center all its own.
December 5th, 2013 at 2:23:46 PM permalink
Fleastiff
How do you market a cloud? How do you distinguish yourself from someone else that is somewhere "in the cloud"?
December 5th, 2013 at 2:26:47 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Which is rather good evidence that all those data centers to be built in the rugged, standalone buildings by Sears are not going to be hosting this site.

All I'm saying is you asked which traffic visits data centers. The answer is a lot of data does. Add in the coporate web moving to the cloud, and that adds even more data in 'data centers'.

I have no idea if there is a need for more data centers. I guess Sears thinks there is.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
December 6th, 2013 at 12:50:43 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
How do you market a cloud? How do you distinguish yourself from someone else that is somewhere "in the cloud"?

I don't think this idea is much of a mystery. The standards for ethernet over CAT 5 is 100 meters, CAT 5e is 350 meters, up to 1000 meters. But as the ability to transfer large amounts of data over much longer ranges became much cheaper, it is much more cost effective for a corporation to rent rack space in a large data center. The data center takes care of fire protection, banks of backup batteries, and electrical generators for power. Not to mention basic floor space.

You need your data center to be reasonably close so that you can work on your equipment, or have the IT department work on it.

Backup batteries at a data center

Cooling system inside a data center

Data servers
December 6th, 2013 at 7:06:59 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
Cooling system inside a data center

Do not ever let a child in there! :)

But the color-coordinated bycicle is very nice.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 6th, 2013 at 8:43:25 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Okay, okay... data centers are probably too expensive anyway.

What about I invest in some of these chat rooms.... you know, get a server and some software and hope people come chat so I can sell them some ads or something?
December 8th, 2013 at 10:11:31 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
A "rack unit" is 1.75", so a standard rack is 42U or 42*1.75" =73.5" or 6.125' high. Normally the racks are 19" wide, but 23" is also a common option.

A typical rental on a single 42U 19" rack with just power is often $400 a month. But most people want reasonably fast internet connection,

I spoke with my brother about his data center costs. He says he pays $1500/month for a rack. He feels that he has $200K in equipment and he is concerned about getting a place with reliable power backup, and positive control of people (guards, biometrics like fingerprinting for entering the facility).
December 8th, 2013 at 10:43:58 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Okay, okay... data centers are probably too expensive anyway.

What about I invest in some of these chat rooms.... you know, get a server and some software and hope people come chat so I can sell them some ads or something?

Easy enough to do on GoDaddy.. rent a domain, set the site up, advertise.

Suspect it's a losing propistuion unless you have a key audience in mind.
Page 1 of 212>