Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: boymimbo
Long flights going on now:

UA1020 IAH - ANC (Houston, Anchorage) - B753, 5,323km
AA121 CDG - JFK (Paris - New York) - B752, 5,840km
UA68 EWR - ARN (Newark - Stockholm) - B752, 6,314km

All these flights suck!

Why would you fly a narrow body from JFK to CDG (two of the busiest international hubs in the world)?

Newark to Stockholm I understand, since you probably don't have enough people to fill a widebody every day.
July 6th, 2014 at 8:36:59 PM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
Quote: Pacomartin
Why would you fly a narrow body from JFK to CDG (two of the busiest international hubs in the world)?

Newark to Stockholm I understand, since you probably don't have enough people to fill a widebody every day.

It's not my decision. US airlines make stupid decisions all of the time.
July 6th, 2014 at 10:18:00 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: boymimbo
It's not my decision. US airlines make stupid decisions all of the time.

I mean "you" in the generic sense. I suppose that if US airlines are flying 4000 seats per day to Paris (each way), it makes sense to have a few narrow body flights just to fine tune the load. But it gets to be a huge strain on the airports as they are carrying the same number of people in smaller planes.

There may come a day when airline executives forbid widebody domestic flights (except to Hawaii). Bottom line is that it limits your liability if a plane crashes. As it is now, only 1 in 3 international flyer (on a domestic airline) flies in a widebody.
July 6th, 2014 at 10:30:06 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I read the airline industry will double in the
next 25 years worldwide. Double. Greyhound
of the skies.. My son is getting in now, he still
has 20 years to get to the top of the pay grade,
which is over 200k.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 6th, 2014 at 11:30:36 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Evenbob
I read the airline industry will double in the next 25 years worldwide. Double.

The US Airline business doubled in the 23 years from the Airline Deregulation Act of 1978 to September 11 2001. But growth has been cyclical to non-existent since then. But international growth as people get used to flying is exponential.

Widbodies are only carrying about 36% of the international passengers and 3% of the domestic passengers. Of course leading the way in the ultra squeeze narrow body jet is the 218 seat A321-200 narrow body jet for the Ultra low class Spirit Airlines.
July 7th, 2014 at 3:58:18 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
The US Airline business doubled in the 23 years from the Airline Deregulation Act of 1978 to September 11 2001. But growth has been cyclical to non-existent since then. But international growth as people get used to flying is exponential.

Widbodies are only carrying about 36% of the international passengers and 3% of the domestic passengers. Of course leading the way in the ultra squeeze narrow body jet is the 218 seat A321-200 narrow body jet for the Ultra low class Spirit Airlines.

We're just getting back to pre-9-11 levels of traffic over the last year or three. Just prior to 9-11, operations were projected to have doubled by now from those numbers, which is what spurred the design and creation of the A380 and B787 super-wide-bodies, along with billions of dollars of infrastructure commitments to runway and airport modernization that have since stagnated. It's pretty amazing to look back and see how one catastrophic event has changed an industry so completely, not just domestically, but internationally.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
July 7th, 2014 at 4:36:12 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: beachbumbabs
It's pretty amazing to look back and see how one catastrophic event has changed an industry so completely, not just domestically, but internationally.

Airships may be better than high speed rail for moving people from Anaheim to Las Vegas.

I meant to specify 36% of the international passengers carried on national passenger lines. Widebodies are almost uniformly flown by international airlines to the USA (except for flights from within North American continent.
July 7th, 2014 at 6:40:24 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Airships may be better than high speed rail for moving people from Anaheim to Las Vegas.

Airships are done for, outside some specialty uses. Every project to develop passenger airships as failed. Likewise rails. Rail makes no sense in America, except for closely packed places like the East Coast.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
July 7th, 2014 at 8:40:36 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
Airships are done for, outside some specialty uses. Every project to develop passenger airships as failed.

I realize that no one has done it yet. But it would be nice if it could pick up a container with 150 people, move to a nearby city at 200 mph, and drop one container, and winch another one up.

No runways, no building rail up steep slopes, no earthquake issues, no property procurement.
July 7th, 2014 at 11:26:28 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I don't see why it has to be dropped. Just
drop it off on an elevated platform.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.