Mexican Vacation

Page 5 of 6« First<23456>
October 6th, 2015 at 3:02:13 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: DRich
I thought Volaris started last year flying directly from LAS to Cancun. Maybe I am mistaken or they already cancelled it.

I just checked and you have to make a connection in Mexico City, which is an airport I don't care for.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
October 6th, 2015 at 3:17:25 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Wizard
I just checked and you have to make a connection in Mexico City, which is an airport I don't care for.

Interjet may still have a flight from LAS to Monterrey (I haven't checked recently) on Sundays and Thursdays, and they have flights from there to Cancun. No one can hate that cute, little airport.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 6th, 2015 at 3:23:09 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard

Volaris had a nonstop flight (thursday and sunday) when it began last December. They must have just changed it because it is still indicated as a nonstop on the route map (but not the scheduler).

Volaris is the best way to go from Las Vegas to Guadalajara.
October 6th, 2015 at 4:36:48 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
Volaris had a nonstop flight (thursday and sunday) when it began last December. They must have just changed it because it is still indicated as a nonstop on the route map (but not the scheduler).

I tried the interactive route map, and it claimed to have direct flights to Cancun from every other city I tried, which included Acapulco, San Jose (Costa Rica), Queretaro, Vegas and Mex City (the only one that made sense).
October 7th, 2015 at 6:25:12 AM permalink
Nareed
I am not sure why you would say "the only one that made sense".

Because of the volume of passengers involved.
November 6th, 2017 at 7:37:03 AM permalink
Pacomartin

Cross Border Xpress Tickets San Diego to Tijuana has really jumped their single person ticket prices
A One way ticket $16, Round trip $30,
Family $55 for 4 passengers, $65 for 5 and $75 for 6 (sold at the CBX facility only).
All ticket sales are non-refundable. Tickets can be used up to one year after purchase

It's unfortunate as it means the prices of a trip has really zoomed. Flights to Mexico from San Diego Airport have increased
Alaska Airlines San José del Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico City
Southwest Airlines San José del Cabo, Puerto Vallarta (begins March 10, 2018)
Spirit Airlines Seasonal: San José del Cabo

Volaris has added a lot of Mexican destinations nonstop from TJ.
Mexico City,
San José del Cabo,
Puerto Vallarta,
Acapulco,
Cancún,
Mazatlán,
La Paz,
Oaxaca,
Aguascalientes,
Chihuahua,
Ciudad Juárez,
Ciudad Obregón,
Colima,
Culiacán,
Durango,
Guadalajara,
Hermosillo,
León/El Bajío,
Los Mochis,
Monterrey,
Morelia,
Puebla,
Querétaro,
San Luis Potosí,
Tepic,
Toluca/Mexico City,
Torreón/Gómez Palacio,
Uruapan,
Veracruz,
Zacatecas
November 6th, 2017 at 1:18:22 PM permalink
Nareed
It's unfortunate as it means the prices of a trip has really zoomed.

Do you clear immigration both ways through the bridge? That might make the fee worthwhile.

also, what if US airlines were allowed to fly from Tijuana to a select few destinations in Mexico?
November 6th, 2017 at 2:25:49 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
Do you clear immigration both ways through the bridge? That might make the fee worthwhile.

The skywalk is only accessible to ticketed Tijuana Airport passengers who have boarding passes for flights departing within 24 hours or having arrived within 2 hours. You'll be required to go through U.S. Customs & Border Protection if you are traveling north, and Mexican Customs & Border Protection if you are traveling south.

So for entering the USA it is a massive timesaver. Since it is fairly easy to walk into Mexico, it might make sense to use a regular pedestrian crossing. Of course there is no trolley at the CBX, and it is over a 3 mile walk to get to the trolley

Quote: Nareed
What if US airlines were allowed to fly from Tijuana to a select few destinations in Mexico?

There are three US airlines that fly to Mexico from San Diego airport to three Mexican destinations, Cabo San Lucas, Puerto Vallarta and Mexico City (starting this weekend). I assume that there passengers prefer to fly from SAN instead of TIJ because it is almost certainly cheaper to cross the border and fly on Volaris.

Here is a sample fare for nonstop to Puerto Vallarta from SAN and TIJ

Flight $413.00 Taxes & Fees $110.41 Alaska Airlines (No Monday flights)
Sunday, Dec 3, 2017 10:13am SAN to 2:57pm PVR 2h 44m, Nonstop
Sunday, Dec 10, 2017 4:05pm PVR to 4:54pm SAN 2h 49m, Nonstop

Volaris (cheaper to fly on Monday)
Monday, Dec 4, 2017 TIJ 02:28 PM PVR 07:14 PM Direct 2 cabin bags (22 lb) $122.20 USD
Monday, Dec 11, 2017 PVR 07:59 PM TIJ 08:54 PM Direct 2 cabin bags (22 lb) $145.85 USD
Of course you would have to add $30 to cross the CBX and the usual LCC fees (checked bags, etc.). But price costs less than half.

The idea of the bridge is for flights to Mexico, Central America, and China. Maybe in the future they can consider Tijuana to Havana (< 2000 nmi).
November 8th, 2017 at 11:40:34 AM permalink
Pacomartin
The only practical thing I can think of is to let the Mexican airlines operate domestic flights from Brown Field inside the USA. Brown Field is owned by the City of San Diego. There are half a million Californians within 10 miles of Brown field, many of whom are Mexican Americans.

They would have to incorporate a USA division (like Norwegian Air Shuttle operating USA - Ireland and United Kingdom flights)
I don't know if they would ever let that happen.

Southern California Airports. Code SDM is Brown Field just across border from Tijuana Airport. Volaris is starting to fly to Mexicali (MXL) as well. El Centro Airport has minimal commercial flights to LAX.

If Volaris could fly from Brown field to some of their USA destinations it would ease congestion at Lindbergh field. As noise is a big issue the airport may only be open 14 hours per day.

Volaris's USA destinations
November 8th, 2017 at 3:40:29 PM permalink
Nareed
The only practical thing I can think of is to let the Mexican airlines operate domestic flights from Brown Field inside the USA. Brown Field is owned by the City of San Diego. There are half a million Californians within 10 miles of Brown field, many of whom are Mexican Americans.

When pigs fly during a snowstorm in Hell in the fourth of July :)

The problem isn't that the Orange Twit wants to renegotiate NAFTA, but that three real US presidents, 4 Mexican presidents and however many Canadian Prime Ministers(?), never saw fit to expand it or add to it over the past 22 years.
Page 5 of 6« First<23456>