The first Brazilian International Superstar

August 31st, 2013 at 1:32:18 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

Annita is being touted as the first Brazilian pop-star that has the potential to go international. Horrible video in my opinion. Some international hodgepodge of Kim Kardashian and Brittney Spears and the worst of hip hop, but only in Brazilian Portuguese. The music is terrible.

Am I too old? Fifty years ago when Brazilian music hit America it was brilliant.

August 31st, 2013 at 1:55:59 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I remember Blame It on the Bossa Nova and The Girl from Ipanema.
I don't know much about Brazil but know there is alot of wealth there and the women all worship Botox.
Headwaters of the Amazon almost became an official resettlement place for USA slaves prior to our Civil War.
Highest number of plastic surgeons outside of Beverly Hills, I believe.
August 31st, 2013 at 4:03:22 PM permalink
Pacomartin

They need plastic surgery because look at the swimsuits.

Actually South Korea is now #1 for plastic surgery with Brazil #4. ARgentina has the most shrinks per person.

Blame It on the Bossa Nova and The Girl from Ipanema were great songs. I don't see how this Anitta can be the next international pop star.
September 1st, 2013 at 7:33:13 AM permalink
aluisio
Threads: 2
I'm ashamed of that. Being Brazilian and enjoynning true brazilian music makes me sick about Anita. Reading it here surprised me because even in Brazil middle class and upper middle class despise this kind of music. I am with you, paco. Long live the Bossa Nova. Are you familiar with Tom Jobim and Vinicius?
September 1st, 2013 at 7:50:42 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: aluisio
Are you familiar with Tom Jobim and Vinicius?

Tom Jobim is legendary, but I have to admit that I was unfamiliar with Vinicius I will have to listen to his music.

I've heard mention of a woman in her early 40's who is hugely popular in Brazil. She speaks almost no English and her music is said to be difficult to translate. Although she has sung in New York, they are worried that trying to make her into an English singer might destroy her career.

I have heard singers sing in English while seemingly having very little comprehension of the language. There was a segment when a young teenager in Montreal was asked by Josh Groban "How long have you been singing?" and she was totally confused by the question. Then a minute later she begins singing his song in perfect English.
September 1st, 2013 at 12:36:28 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Some songs hit the top of the charts in the USA yet I doubt listeners knew what was being sung on the tracks:

LaBamba by Richie Valens.
99 Lufte Baloons by Nena.
September 1st, 2013 at 1:11:25 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Fleastiff
Some songs hit the top of the charts in the USA .

Songs that are not in English can go up the charts, but Artists almost cannot build an entire career as an international artist without performing in English. Richie Valens only ever recorded one Spanish song, and it was the flip side of the the single. The other side, "Donna" was a much bigger hit in it's day.

I think "La Bamba" has grown in popularity more than "Donna" over the last half century.

Celine Dion is a good example. She released over a dozen albums in French, and was very popular in Quebec. She even sang some songs in English without speaking the language. After 5 years of releasing English albums, singing the title song in Disney's "Beauty and the Beast" and building a reputation in the Anglo world, she went back and recorded D'eux in French. It sold very well in the English speaking world, but she probably couldn't have established a reputation entirely with French songs.
September 1st, 2013 at 2:19:47 PM permalink
aluisio
Threads: 2
Is it Adriana Calcanhoto?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FsWe2sc7mA

Or is it Marisa Monte?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40MdALPWnTw

Or none of the above?
September 1st, 2013 at 4:32:00 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Here is a partial quote from the Forbes article

Quote: Forbes
Could Brazil's Latest Music Sensation Anitta Be A Global Superstar In The Making?
Just a couple of weeks ago, it was the Brazilian singer Ivete Sangalo who made headlines in the United States ...Sangalo is undoubtedly a megastar in Brazil...
she is so big in the South American nation that at this point of her career it would be a huge risk to move up to international superstardom, the sort of commitment that would require her full time and attention. In her case, it may simply not be worth the bother.

Besides, the problem with Sangalo, who is 41 and barely speaks English, is that she’s too Brazilian,...— much of its charm is owed to the beautiful and sexy resonance of the Portuguese language, making it a thing for those who appreciate the language, not for general audiences.

But that’s not the case of Anitta, the newest sensation in the Brazilian music industry. ...

From the NY Times: Brazil’s charts are dominated by axé, romantic pop ballads and a local version of country music called sertaneja.