Random Thought of the Day

February 1st, 2023 at 10:47:38 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
I hitch-hiked down the coast to the bay area to see it for the first time as a young man; took BART to downtown, and after climbing the exit stairs I was surrounded by weirdos singing songs to get my attention.

I was about to blow them off when a woman stopped and told me "Watch out, they're Moonies."

I'd heard of them, and having no other plans for the day I decided to let them "pick me up."

I spent the day with them at their HQ; when I went for a walk they accompanied me, didn't want to give me a chance to leave.

Helped them prepare a horrible vegetarian dinner, listened to supposedly inspirtational speakers blather on about their ideas, and as the day ended they tried to convince me to jump in their van or bus so we could all go to their rural compound.

I declined to go, and that really seemed to piss them off.

Moonies: what a bunch of ... hell, I don't know what they were other than bat-shit crazy.
February 1st, 2023 at 10:58:17 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: missedhervee
I hitch-hiked down the coast to the bay area to see it for the first time as a young man; took BART to downtown, and after climbing the exit stairs I was surrounded by weirdos singing songs to get my attention.

I was about to blow them off when a woman stopped and told me "Watch out, they're Moonies."

I'd heard of them, and having no other plans for the day I decided to let them "pick me up."

I spent the day with them at their HQ; when I went for a walk they accompanied me, didn't want to give me a chance to leave.

Helped them prepare a horrible vegetarian dinner, listened to supposedly inspirtational speakers blather on about their ideas, and as the day ended they tried to convince me to jump in their van or bus so we could all go to their rural compound.

Moonies: what a bunch of ... hell, I don't know what they were other than bat-shit crazy.

I'm a hardcore Deadhead
Saw them over a hundred times
A cult like following but certainly not a cult (I never hesitated to criticize after a lame show)
But
They attracted a lot of cults
Hare Krishnas, Rainbow cult, communes from the NE ect all recruited in the parking lot
I saw the twelve tribes cult at every single show
They never went into a show. Just there to recruit.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 1st, 2023 at 12:00:53 PM permalink
PotPie
Threads: 5
Hot Shoppes was a popular restaurant chain in the DC suburbs owned and operated by the Marriott Corporation.
A guy who I worked with's wife worked as a Waitress there for many years; I think between '65 and '85.

The Company required Waitresses to do one hour's work off the clock in the a.m. setting up the restaurant before it opened.

It was illegal, but not uncommon for non-union employees to be cheated and abused that way by Corporations.

She gave that Company thousands of hours of free labor during her years there.

When she retired I tried to convince them to sue Marriott but they wouldn't do it.
the foolish sayings of a rich man pass for words of wisdom by the fools around him
February 1st, 2023 at 12:05:38 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I went into a Mormon exhibit at a State Fair when I was a teenager, and was waylaid by a conversion attempt.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 1st, 2023 at 5:01:38 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: missedhervee

That sounds exactly like something I would do.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
February 2nd, 2023 at 9:52:02 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
February 2nd, 2023 at 2:34:48 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: petroglyph
https://www.zerohedge.com/medical/recent-data-shows-stunning-increase-serious-harm-reports-young-healthy-pilots-army-lt-col

I always prefer older pilots because they obviously went that long without having an accident fatal to them.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
February 2nd, 2023 at 3:05:08 PM permalink
terapined
https://www.zerohedge.com/medical/recent-data-shows-stunning-increase-serious-harm-reports-young-healthy-pilots-army-lt-col

I read the entire article
The article is BS anti vax junk
Give me a link to the actual data
Let me judge the data myself
Hmm, that's not provided
Just a bunch of people outraged and blaming vaccines
The only link provided is a letter Senator Ron Johnson wrote. The guy is an extremist clown
All the other links take you to the same epoch article.
Insanity
Really garbage journalism practiced by Tyler Durden.
GIVE ME THE SOURCE DATA
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 2nd, 2023 at 3:14:19 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27

There is also an equally alarming spike in car crashes from late 2020-2022, I wonder if all of these drivers are crashing because of COVID vaccine results.

A "reportable event" can mean virtually anything in DMED. (Also COVID can be a reportable event..)

If military pilots are having more reportable events in a peacetime environment and an environment where training/flying is cut back, you have to ask why? Maybe they are bored, and a good chunk of the reportable events are pilots out drinking and crashing their motorcycles? It can mean almost anything.... (Without being able to see each event reported this number is meaningless). But, really more reportable events in Army pilots (on an internal system) somehow correlating with COVID vaccines is a stretch.

The Army does not want to secretly kill or injure some of their best (and most expensive) assets enmass, if vaccines were killing or harming pilots to the point where they cannot fly for whatever reason, pilots would be exempted from vaccines, it's really that simple. The Army views people as an asset (not always in a good way), but they are not going to mass devalue their assets, if the Army thinks the vaccine is a net-positive, it is a net-positive.

Anytime there is a new vaccine (though this is certainly the worst, largely thanks to social media) people are always skeptical, and look for the oddest correlations.... Remember all of the charts linking autism to certain vaccines in the early 2000? And, you can go back and history again and again.

Humans have a weird desire to be distrustful of things put in their body and find the oddest statistical link to justify it.... But, really Army pilots having more injuries in 2020-2022? This is a stretch....
February 2nd, 2023 at 3:23:21 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: Gandler

Humans have a weird desire to be distrustful of things put in their body and find the oddest statistical link to justify it.... But, really Army pilots having more injuries in 2020-2022? This is a stretch....

Yea
2016 to 2022
Pilot deaths not up 100%
Not 200%
Not even a thousand per cent
1600 percent
ROFTL
More then a strecch
BS
Whats funny or sad
You see a lot of articles by anti vaxxers about this and their source on this, epoch times
but of course
No source for these absurd numbers except the word of an anti vax clown
The source is Teresa Long. A real nutcase. She insists any military pilot that received a vaccine be grounded
Yea, that aint gonna fly