Insurance is a racket.

My wife's company pays for all
our insurance and Medicare.
The payments are managed by
a middleman company that
employs hundreds of people.
The tendrils of the insurance
biz are everywhere.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 19th, 2019 at 3:31:33 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: petroglyph
Insurance is a racket.

If it was up to me, I'd find a way to compensate people who stay healthy longer even though I believe the best insurance is the kind where everyone pays the same and can't refuse to carry health insurance. (well if they have a salary )

Non monetary compensation -- like priority services, parking, lines, anything like that. DMV priority.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 19th, 2019 at 3:34:46 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: rxwine
If it was up to me, I'd find a way to compensate people who stay healthy longer even though I believe the best insurance is the kind where everyone pays the same and can't refuse to carry health insurance.

Non monetary compensation -- like priority services, parking, lines, anything like that. DMV priority.

That was essentially Obama Care (ACA), requiring everyone to buy insurance with the hypothesis being that it would lower rates if many young healthy people bought more policies.

Of course not the special perk part.... That will never happen, not even with Single Payer, it could easily be considered discrimination for disabilities and genetics.....
August 19th, 2019 at 4:21:09 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: rxwine
Hey, if it's the DMV, how come we can't have a drive up window?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
August 19th, 2019 at 4:40:12 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Cuz two weeks later the entrance would be a trooper check point lol
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
August 19th, 2019 at 6:10:59 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Gandler
That was essentially Obama Care (ACA), requiring everyone to buy insurance with the hypothesis being that it would lower rates if many young healthy people bought more policies.
Health insurance, communes, cults, religious orders, churches. All feed on new members paying for the expenses of the old ones.

Winston Churchill had the right idea at Dunkirk: We need healthy soldiers, leave the wounded behind.
August 19th, 2019 at 6:21:23 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Fleastiff
Health insurance, communes, cults, religious orders, churches. All feed on new members paying for the expenses of the old ones.

Winston Churchill had the right idea at Dunkirk: We need healthy soldiers, leave the wounded behind.
Just like wolves following the caribou.

It's what keeps the herd strong, the weak perish.

But apparently the plan is to destroy that natural order and keep everything alive well past it's use by date.

I can see why some millennials want to take umbrage with boomers.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
August 19th, 2019 at 8:14:54 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: petroglyph
But apparently the plan is to destroy that natural order and keep everything alive well past it's use by date.
I can see why some millennials want to take umbrage with boomers.
I have no idea about the various generational labels.
As far as health expenses go, its a matter of genetics and lifestyle choices. It is not just age, but exercise, nutrition, sheer luck. Excluding people from general health coverage and forcing them into high premium categories is simply profitable. Being temporarily unable to keep up with the herd is just as fatal as a more severe and permanent disability.
August 21st, 2019 at 7:39:13 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
It has been one week since my surgery last Wednesday. Amazingly I still have all 30 Hydrocodone pills and all 30 Tylenol with Codene pills prescribed to me. I am shocked this surgery resulted in zero pain.

My understanding is that I could get a couple hundred dollars selling those pills on the street.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.