Random Thought of the Day

June 11th, 2018 at 7:19:14 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Chesterdog has it.

I had a different angle of it, but I just couldn't get it to post.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 11th, 2018 at 7:28:04 PM permalink
rxwine
It was in the style of Beaux-Arts architecture

Quote:
Beaux-Arts architecture is classical in nature with Greco-Roman styling. The Beaux Arts Movement (beaux arts means 'fine arts' in French) was popular in the United States from about 1880-1930 and reflected the wealth that accumulated during the Industrial Revolution. Beaux-Art architecture harkens back to classic Greek and Roman forms. This style of architecture originated from Ecole des Beaux-Arts (School of the Fine Arts) in France where many architects studied. The first Americans to study there were Richard Morris Hunt and Henry Hobson Richardson. They brought the style to the United States and inspired a number of other students to study abroad. Beaux-Arts architecture is synonymous with America's Renaissance movement.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 12th, 2018 at 6:43:23 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
My guess in Penn Station.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
June 12th, 2018 at 8:27:39 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
One of my favorite sense from Homicide Life on the Streets with John Waters
Takes place at the other Penn Station. the one in Baltimore
Love the back forth regarding Baltimore and NYC
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 12th, 2018 at 7:20:29 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: kenarman

Grand Central Station?

Interestingly, Grand Central Station has a tennis court.

Quote:
We are a non-membership club. Price per hour of open play varies ($200-$280 per hour) depending on the time of day and day of the week.

Please call 212-599-6500 or email desk@vanderbilttennisclub.com for specific rates.

We take bookings 1 week or less in advance of your desired playing time.
June 13th, 2018 at 1:58:26 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
we have car keys that are remote door lockers/unlockers. Nothing fancy though they will also roll down the windows with a press of a key. One of them is 13 years old and still works - so I have theorized that when you use it in the ignition, it charges the battery.

finally remembered to go online and check that out, but all I could find was people going to a forum and other people answering with questions addressing this. If the answers are correct, it seems that the key just uses such little power that the battery lasts nearly forever - 11 years was cited in one case. That seems even more remarkable if this is what is going on.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
June 13th, 2018 at 2:56:42 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: odiousgambit
we have car keys that are remote door lockers/unlockers. Nothing fancy though they will also roll down the windows with a press of a key. One of them is 13 years old and still works - so I have theorized that when you use it in the ignition, it charges the battery.

finally remembered to go online and check that out, but all I could find was people going to a forum and other people answering with questions addressing this. If the answers are correct, it seems that the key just uses such little power that the battery lasts nearly forever - 11 years was cited in one case. That seems even more remarkable if this is what is going on.

The keys for my wife's car are now 13 years old and still fine. One even spent a year underwater when it fell into a drain in the driveway. 4 months of that time it was frozen in the ice. I don't believe they are being charged. That would take 2 points of contact. I am not sure they had wireless charging 13 years ago. The wireless panic buttons that I provide for my alarm panels now don't have a replaceable battery.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
June 13th, 2018 at 2:58:42 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: kenarman
The keys for my wife's car are now 13 years old and still fine. One even spent a year underwater when it fell into a drain in the driveway. 4 months of that time it was frozen in the ice. I don't believe they are being charged. That would take 2 points of contact. I am not sure they had wireless charging 13 years ago. The wireless panic buttons that I provide for my alarm panels now don't have a replaceable battery.

You can find YouTube videos on how to replace the battery in your key, I just looked after the above post.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
June 13th, 2018 at 3:00:27 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I don't ever remember seeing a rechargeable car remote. What was your first car with a remote? I think mine was my Cadillac Allante.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
June 13th, 2018 at 4:37:04 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: terapined
One of my favorite sense from Homicide Life on the Streets with John Waters

One of my favorites too! I'm sure I bored you with the fact that I was an extra on one episode. Didn't know Mr. Big was ever on it.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber