Random Thought of the Day

April 22nd, 2018 at 5:27:09 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Nareed
I'm having a very bad episode of dissonance.

It's well-known, not to mention believed, that the various stories of the Trojan war took place in pre-literate times, thus were transmitted orally for generations until people wrote them down.
Yes. Much of our history is scribblings by people who lived hundreds of years later and merely recorded "legends".

However, a good deal of knowledge was transmitted orally. Pottery often depicted battles. Ornate structures often recounted invasions. Painting styles incorporated indications of numbers or concealment.

The Trojan War was really about horses and the spice trade, not some broad. Breaking Troy's monopoly on the horse trade was the real goal of the war.

Look at the Legend of King Arthur. Historians dismissed it until archeologists started digging. Look at the ways in which tapestries depicted treaties and tax payments.
April 22nd, 2018 at 10:14:30 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Killing Eve. I think its one of those FX or AMC shows.

I find that I'm enjoying it.

"What I enjoy about Villanelle is that she is robotic and ruthless and kills to order, but you don’t in any way dislike her. Her effortless cool and glamour and cleverness ensure that." I believe that quotation is from a female reviewer, hence the word glamour, but the cool and clever murderer quite able to adapt to suddenly changing circumstances is certainly appealing.

Its from a Luke Jennings set of novellas and I recently ordered an Inter Library Loan copy. He is not popular enough as an author to have his works in my local library, so I had to do the rigamarole stuff even though an electronic version is locally available and they want me to read it on a screen. I'm old fashioned, like to hold a book, not look at a screen.
April 22nd, 2018 at 4:23:08 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Do you ever feel like the days of the week ought to be named:

Monday
Monday 2
Monday 3
Friday's eve
Friday
Saturday
Pre-Monday
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 23rd, 2018 at 5:21:10 AM permalink
Fleastiff
find something you love to do and you will never work another day in your life. You will always look forward to ALL the Mondays.
April 23rd, 2018 at 8:13:42 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I've gotten rid of all the pennies I had after realizing I almost never pay cash now.

I just started spending them even when I was using a credit card - which caused a lot of confused clerks. Took a few months but they are gone. Now on those rare occasions when I wind up with them, I just leave them on the counter for someone else to use.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
April 25th, 2018 at 5:01:37 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Does anyone know anyone who's read Newton's Principia?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 25th, 2018 at 5:17:09 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Fleastiff
find something you love to do and you will never work another day in your life. You will always look forward to ALL the Mondays.

Been self employed for 35 years, many
times I wake up and have no idea what
day it is.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 25th, 2018 at 5:43:14 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Evenbob
Been self employed for 35 years, many
times I wake up and have no idea what
day it is.
Been there. And usually it didn't matter. Still doesn't.

I traveled so much in my twenty's, I remember waking up with the shades drawn in my RV, I didn't remember what town I was in, until I heard a train whistle. That was a bit strange.

I wonder if Wizard has ever graphed the peak and slack times, that posters are active on these forums?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
April 25th, 2018 at 5:50:14 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: petroglyph

I traveled so much in my twenty's, I remember waking up with the shades drawn in my RV, I didn't remember what town I was in, until I heard a train whistle. That was a bit strange.

I remember being in a motel, (about same age) and waking up. It was pitch dark, didn't leave any lights on, no clock lights, double curtains closed, air conditioner blasting. Very disorienting, as I was dreaming about something else. I hadn't any freakin idea where I was either in time or space for about 30 seconds or so.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 25th, 2018 at 5:55:54 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if that's what late stage Alzheimer's is like.

I read you can keep Alzheimer's patients from wandering out doors just by putting down a dark rug. Unconfirmed theory suggests they see a hole, and instinctively still know not to step forward.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?