Random Thought of the Day

December 5th, 2016 at 9:58:47 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: DRich
Be unselfish and pass on. That will relieve others from the burden of subsidizing me.
Easier said than done.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
December 5th, 2016 at 11:20:32 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: petroglyph
Easier said than done.
Alas.
December 5th, 2016 at 11:31:05 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: petroglyph
Easier said than done.

I think many funeral directors try to upsell the surviving family members. There's no getting away from it even at death.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 6th, 2016 at 3:44:51 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Jessica Mitford The American Way of Death. Industry expose from the late fifties.
December 6th, 2016 at 8:47:04 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: rxwine
I think many funeral directors try to upsell the surviving family members. There's no getting away from it even at death.

Absolutely, they have you at the most vulnerable time and many people don't want to appear to be cheap when it comes to their loved ones.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
December 6th, 2016 at 2:26:16 PM permalink
buzzardknot
Threads: 7
Quote: Nareed
August 6th, 2013. If you went back in time to the late 60s, say, and told business leaders of the time that some of the biggest companies of the early XXI century would sport names like Amazon, Google, Yahoo!, Apple, and that there would be operating systems called Mountain Lion and Jelly Bean, you'd be thrown into a loony bin.

I doubt that. Nobody knew about operating systems. Records were kept on paper. In 1979, at&t testboard Denver. First CRT on testboard with UNIX operating system for ticket tracking. Go back to when I hired on 1969 AT&T, guys who made most overtime were teletype repairman. Used for stock market, hotel reservations, etc. Al;ways amazed when get cash register receipt, atm, etc. No keys, spray ink thru some sort of magnetic or electronic field WTF

Go back to 1956, quit high school to support my family, unloaded tractor trailers that delivered groceries, nothing on pallets, pick up cases and put on roller tracks into basement where guys stacked in aisles. 90-100 outside , 90 + humidity in Baltimore, super hot in metal trailers. Me and MISTER SMITH. a black man 6'4 250, nobody called him a N* , not to his face anyway.

Trust me, I will get to AMAZON. Hated Domino Sugar and Carnation and Pet Milk. Sugar was 60lbs in bulky paper bags. Canned milked, 16 ounce cans, 96 to a case. Then groceries went up conveyor belt when needed, put on shelf after stamping every damn individual thing.
$67 a week, fully company paid Blue Cross. no state sales or income tax. Sides of beef cut in the store. Butchers made $100 a week.

What has this to do with Amazon ?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/news/2016/12/05/amazon-go-supermarket-no-checkout-no-cashiers-artificial-intelligence-sensors/94991612/
December 6th, 2016 at 2:48:30 PM permalink
rxwine
My dad worked in his Dad's grocery store. He hated it so much, it motivated him to get out of town, join the Army. He later got a business degree.

Of course this was more of an old style general store. Burlap bags and barrels held dry food items. Lots of lifting an' totin' I'm sure.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 6th, 2016 at 6:16:08 PM permalink
buzzardknot
Threads: 7
As kids in the 50's we would steal milk bottles and soda bottles and get the deposit back in cash at the corner grocery store. Our US geography lesson was arguing who had a coke bottle (6oz) from the farthest away bottling plant.
Still amazed , even in summer, that going to yard sales I NEVER see any kids riding bikes, playgrounds are empty, no ball games in the street or empty lots. No wonder childhood obesity is a problem.
December 7th, 2016 at 3:48:26 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Hypothesis: The worst airline is the one you just flew on.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 8th, 2016 at 2:29:20 PM permalink
rxwine
I demoed an Oculus today.. (they had a half-shell booth set up in Best Buy, and I had brought one of my computers into Geek squad for repair)

What occurred to me is how much moving around I would probably do instead of sitting at a computer, that is if they integrate basic daily activities into a game or adventure.

While I'm writing here, I could also be trying to blast a 100 foot monster standing over me. (now you can actually have the experience of being the Tidy Bowl man just like you're there and only 2 inches tall floating in a rowboat in a toliet.)

Btw the experience is very good. It's like the promise of those early 3d glasses movies, finally realized. Plus you can fully interact.