Banning TikTok

Page 3 of 4<1234>
March 16th, 2024 at 10:30:59 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: Gandler
... and both Trump and Biden agree../

Not anymore.

After trying to ban TikTok in August, 2020, Trump arranged a partnership between Oracle and TikTok which was supposed to protect US user data from the Chinese government, but TikTok waited him out and never upheld its part of the agreement.

Despite that, Trump is now opposed to banning the app.

'His sudden reversal on restricting TikTok after mending ties with a top GOP donor and TikTok investor suggests there is no foreign policy issue on which Trump can’t be moved by a high bidder.'
March 16th, 2024 at 10:45:53 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: GenoDRPh
Banning TikTok will have no effect on the most dangerous country on Earth, or any other country for that matter. Those malevolent nations can still buy the same data on the open market. What's needed isn't a TikTok ban per se, but a data privacy law.

It may or may not, but it will have a positive effect on Americans. This is not about punishing China, but protecting Americans.

Quote: Tanko
Not anymore.

After trying to ban TikTok in August, 2020, Trump arranged a partnership between Oracle and TikTok which was supposed to protect US user data from the Chinese government, but TikTok waited him out and never upheld its part of the agreement.

'His sudden reversal on restricting TikTok after mending ties with a top GOP donor and TikTok investor suggests there is no foreign policy issue on which Trump can’t be moved by a high bidder.'

That is disappointing. I remember saying in 2020, this was one of the few genius positions that Trump had, so I suppose it is not surprising that he changed course for some Chinese money....
March 16th, 2024 at 3:52:48 PM permalink
GenoDRPh
It may or may not, but it will have a positive effect on Americans. This is not about punishing China, but protecting Americans.

Not anymore.

That is disappointing. I remember saying in 2020, this was one of the few genius positions that Trump had, so I suppose it is not surprising that he changed course for some Chinese money....

What positive effect will it have on Americans if the same data is still available via similar channels with no prohibitions on its sale or transfer?

Trump's genius position was because the sale was to allies of his, and he publicly angled for the Feds to get a cut.
March 18th, 2024 at 7:35:54 AM permalink
Tanko
Very unlikely to happen. Schumer says he still isn't sure he will allow it to be brought up for a vote in the Senate. Holding out for some of that lobbyist cash.

TikTok has an army of lobbyists, including former Senators and Congressmen, as well as former Obama and Trump officials, trying to buy Senate votes, with sizable donations to their campaign funds.

"It's gross. I have colleagues who are more worried about getting drunk every night with the next lobbyists that they're going to screw and pretend like none of us know what's going on and sell off the American people." - Former Congressman George Santos

So much for the interests of the public.

'State and federal lobbying spending tops $46 billion after federal lobbying spending broke records in 2023'
March 18th, 2024 at 8:15:24 AM permalink
Riverjordan
Threads: 23
Tiktok has done at least ONE good thing, they popularized a distress hand signal that signifies abuse or trouble. On the news it was reported that a guy saw a young girl doing the distress hand signal, and he immediately felt this girl was in trouble. He called the cops and it turns out his instincts were right. She had been kidnapped by a grown man. The distress hand signal is putting hand out and putting thumb in and having four fingers covering the thumb. It looks like the thumb is being smothered by the four fingers which is an indication of needing help.
Alec Baldwin's gun should have been CGI. Would have prevented the tragedy. Facts.
March 18th, 2024 at 8:39:01 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Democrats should link supporting the ban on TikTok to funding for Ukraine. (It’s as stupid a link as anything the Republicans come up with)
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 18th, 2024 at 9:45:51 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: GenoDRPh

Not anymore.

What positive effect will it have on Americans if the same data is still available via similar channels with no prohibitions on its sale or transfer?

Trump's genius position was because the sale was to allies of his, and he publicly angled for the Feds to get a cut.

China controlling accounts directly, is very different than having to buy data from a databroker. If it is anything like Facebook, where you have to provide all kinds of personal information, and scans of your government ID, that does not seem like a good thing for your personal security to provide to China.

I do not doubt that Trump had his view for the wrong reasons, but that did not make it the wrong view.
March 20th, 2024 at 12:23:36 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Senators are receiving threats of suicide and assassination in calls from Yutes that don't want TikTok banned.
March 20th, 2024 at 6:12:13 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: RonC
Senators are receiving threats of suicide and assassination in calls from Yutes that don't want TikTok banned.

They got it next. so, the focus in on them. Pelosi and McCarthy experience is lacking in the House. Of course, experience doesn't mean they won't try to do the same thing, but they can gauge the timing and the proper delivery. I think that's where the experience comes in.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 21st, 2024 at 5:36:10 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: RonC

Too me, that is probably the best reason to proceed. The more morons eliminated the better.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
Page 3 of 4<1234>