AI causing MegaDeaths

February 5th, 2024 at 5:41:45 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
so some of these AI experts watched the Terminator movies one time too many?

Quote:
A group of researchers from the UK has systematically interviewed experts to figure out their worries about AI, and the results are concerning.

Two experts predict that by 2040, AI will cause events with at least a million deaths, leading to a megadeath. AI experts are worried that AI will make it increasingly hard to tell apart truth from fiction, leading to an arms race in which some AIs produce fake content and others try to identify it as fake.

https://eightify.app/summary/artificial-intelligence-and-future-of-work/ai-experts-predict-negative-impacts-in-2040
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
February 5th, 2024 at 6:47:03 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
To me, Ai would be most effective being able to move relatively small machines that can roll or crawl across various terrain, fire small rounds and release highly toxic sprays or gas as needed and use bayonets for any close contact accompanied by small kamikaze drones. It would be foolish (I think) to try to make super hardened tanks or some such, because anything we could currently design could be targeted and disabled by current technology. Just 'cause the Russians have difficulty killing our Abrams tanks doesn't mean they are invulnerable. Better to have ten smaller vehicles rather than one tank for a more distributed assault for say, a city invasion. Overwhelm and annihilate. Code name: Locust Swarm
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 5th, 2024 at 6:55:26 AM permalink
rxwine
The best mpg of an Abrams is .55 per gallon but supposed to be able to travel 300 miles? ?? Is that right?

Must be bigger than I thought.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 5th, 2024 at 9:04:32 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: rxwine
The best mpg of an Abrams is .55 per gallon but supposed to be able to travel 300 miles? ?? Is that right?

Must be bigger than I thought.

I believe it holds about 4,000 pounds of fuel.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
February 5th, 2024 at 9:13:53 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: DRich

Whatever the case, if someone manages to ignite that tank with an attack, no one is getting out alive.
February 5th, 2024 at 9:29:16 AM permalink
GenoDRPh
Threads: 0
Quote: DRich

504 gallons, according to wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_Abrams
February 5th, 2024 at 10:11:57 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: GenoDRPh
504 gallons, according to wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_Abrams

That is a great Wikipedia page. Usually Wiki pages are not that detailed.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.