What is going on with Nevada's GOP primary?

January 24th, 2024 at 5:38:32 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I just got my ballot by mail for the Nevada Republican primary. Surprisingly, Trump's name was not on it.

I did a search and found this article: Trump won't be on Nevada's 2024 GOP primary ballot, and Haley won't be on Nevada's caucus ballot. Here's why. If my reading is correct, Nevada will have both a primary and a caucus. It is the caucus that will award delegates. If that is the case, what is the purpose of the primary? It says Nikki Haley's is listed in the primary, but won't be in the caucus. No, it doesn't have to do with the 14th amendment.

Despite reading this article twice, I still don't get what is really going on. Can anyone explain to me?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 24th, 2024 at 5:47:38 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Donny’s campaign forgot to file the proper paperwork to get on the ballot. He only hires the best people!
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
January 24th, 2024 at 6:59:35 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
Quote: Wizard
I just got my ballot by mail for the Nevada Republican primary. Surprisingly, Trump's name was not on it.

I did a search and found this article: Trump won't be on Nevada's 2024 GOP primary ballot, and Haley won't be on Nevada's caucus ballot. Here's why. If my reading is correct, Nevada will have both a primary and a caucus. It is the caucus that will award delegates. If that is the case, what is the purpose of the primary? It says Nikki Haley's is listed in the primary, but won't be in the caucus. No, it doesn't have to do with the 14th amendment.

Despite reading this article twice, I still don't get what is really going on. Can anyone explain to me?

Does this answer your question?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2024/01/12/false-claim-trumps-team-forgot-to-file-nevada-paperwork-fact-check/72203761007/
January 24th, 2024 at 7:01:48 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: ams288
Donny’s campaign forgot to file the proper paperwork to get on the ballot. He only hires the best people!

It would seem he was the smart one, at least in this case.

This article seems to explain what is really happening better: Why does Nevada have a caucus and a primary? What voters need to know about 2024 election

Per a new state law, there must be a primary. However, each party may still caucus and ignore the results of the primary, which is the case with the Nevada GOP. They are so against the primary that they bar anyone who ran in it from being listed in the caucus.

Of the only two names left, Haley is listed in the primary only and Trump in the caucus only. The voters have no say. The election is a big waste of time and money. So, somebody in Trump's campaign made the right choice, as opposed to every other GOP candidate.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 24th, 2024 at 11:04:54 AM permalink
GenoDRPh
Threads: 0
It's a shame that people are playing games with the nomination/delegate process.
January 25th, 2024 at 3:28:46 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Edited from the link. It used to be smoke filled rooms; to understand it now, would take a lot of study. I'm worn out with this almost instantly, posting this and doing no more research...
Quote:
The presidential nomination process has a history of being fuzzy. For much of the nation’s political existence, starting in the 1830s, national party conventions selected nominees for the highest office in the land. At these events, the oft-used term “smoke-filled rooms” described the sometimes behind-the-scenes activity that led to the final selection of a nominee...

After the chaotic and controversial 1968 Democratic National Convention, when Vice President Hubert Humphrey won the nomination after not running in a single primary, the national Democratic Party sought to reform its nomination process. It began to set down an increasingly nationalized set of rules that each state party had to obey, particularly certain guarantees for participation by women and minorities in state delegations and the distribution of delegate support to candidates in proportion to their vote support. This is why many view the 1972 Democratic primary as the first campaign of the “modern” era of presidential politics, as it was the first contest to feature many of these rules.
https://centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/articles/the-modern-history-of-the-republican-presidential-primary-1976-2012/
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]