Rent payments

Page 1 of 212>
September 16th, 2023 at 6:29:45 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I was surprised to read that rents in Las Vegas have dropped more than 10% this year. The average one bedroom apartment can now be had for less than $1,654. I guess I sold my Las vegas house at the right time for once. Of course, I paid top of the market in Florida for my new home.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
September 16th, 2023 at 7:05:38 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: DRich
I was surprised to read that rents in Las Vegas have dropped more than 10% this year. The average one bedroom apartment can now be had for less than $1,654. I guess I sold my Las vegas house at the right time for once. Of course, I paid top of the market in Florida for my new home.

Would you have saved renting an apartment in florida and holding out for awhile before buying a house?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 16th, 2023 at 8:18:07 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
House prices aside. What is home insurance like right now in Florida? I have heard some bad stories?
September 16th, 2023 at 8:27:00 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Gandler
House prices aside. What is home insurance like right now in Florida? I have heard some bad stories?

My boss who lives in FL just had a a random surprise insurance inspection yesterday. She thinks they’re going to cancel her insurance, or at the very least raise her rates exponentially.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
September 16th, 2023 at 8:36:25 AM permalink
DRich
Quote: rxwine
Would you have saved renting an apartment in florida and holding out for awhile before buying a house?

Probably a little but with two big dogs an apartment isn't really an option for me. Surprisingly the Zillow estimate on my house is still about 10% more than I paid even though I paid what I thought was a very high amount for a modest house.
September 16th, 2023 at 8:38:52 AM permalink
DRich

In my opinion it is pretty high here. I pay 3x the amount I did in Las Vegas and my house is a lot smaller. Obviously the big reason for it is the wind damage from hurricanes. My home insurance is almost $600 a month. That doesn't include flood insurance which is a separate policy for most. I am not in a flood zone so I don't have flood insurance..
September 16th, 2023 at 9:13:39 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: ams288
My boss who lives in FL just had a a random surprise insurance inspection yesterday. She thinks they’re going to cancel her insurance, or at the very least raise her rates exponentially.

I just turned on the TV right now and there is a news feature on insurance claims. Lowballing claims, delaying claims into eternity. In other words, nothing good.

Florida passed laws to make it harder to sue insurers.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 16th, 2023 at 9:25:59 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: ams288

Yeah surprise inspections from insurance are rarely a good sign. They often want you to do a ridiculous amount of things in a short period of time.

Quote: DRich
In my opinion it is pretty high here. I pay 3x the amount I did in Las Vegas and my house is a lot smaller. Obviously the big reason for it is the wind damage from hurricanes. My home insurance is almost $600 a month. That doesn't include flood insurance which is a separate policy for most. I am not in a flood zone so I don't have flood insurance..

I keep hearing FL and CA are crazy zones right now.
September 16th, 2023 at 9:53:19 AM permalink
DRich

I keep hearing FL and CA are crazy zones right now.

I don't know what would be considered crazy in Florida but it is expensive. Every insurance company that drops out of the market allows other to raise their prices.
September 16th, 2023 at 6:18:50 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Renting is for those unable to provide the scratch and the credit needed to buy a home.
Page 1 of 212>