Al Gore TV Network For Sale

October 27th, 2012 at 12:37:13 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Gee, it has a couple hundred viewers, why sell it.

http://www.caintv.com/AlGoresCurrentTVputtingitselfu-638
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 27th, 2012 at 1:46:42 PM permalink
rdw4potus
Threads: 10
Current TV still exists???

Current introduced me to the comedic stylings of Ms. Sarah Haskins Cute, funny, sarcastic, taken. damn.
I'm not wearing any pants, film at 11
October 27th, 2012 at 7:55:36 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rdw4potus
Current TV still exists???

Kind of like the tree falling in the deserted woods question I guess.

It would probably be a smart purchase if you wanted to rebrand it as the cable carry contracts are in place.
The President is a fink.
October 27th, 2012 at 8:22:08 PM permalink
rdw4potus
Threads: 10
I don't think I ever knew that Al Gore was associated with Current TV, and I think that all I ever watched (mostly online) was Target Women.

It really feels like there could/should be a massive consolidation or reduction in TV stations. I pay for something like 200 cable channels, because that's the only way to get the NFL and MLB networks. I watch about 12 channels: ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, CNN, Fox News, ION, USA, TNT, ESPN, MLB, NFL. I don't mind having access to History or TLC. I guess the Big10 network is fun if I've bet on a game there, too. The rest is just overkill.
I'm not wearing any pants, film at 11
October 28th, 2012 at 4:39:49 AM permalink
MonkeyMonkey
Threads: 0
Wow, I had never even heard of this thing. Funny article though EB.
World's most discriminating Kool-Aid connoisseur
October 28th, 2012 at 6:05:33 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

It really feels like there could/should be a massive consolidation or reduction in TV stations. I pay for something like 200 cable channels, because that's the only way to get the NFL and MLB networks. I watch about 12 channels: ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, CNN, Fox News, ION, USA, TNT, ESPN, MLB, NFL. I don't mind having access to History or TLC. I guess the Big10 network is fun if I've bet on a game there, too. The rest is just overkill.

You are not alone here. Most people I know only watch a few channels, though the channels will vary. On FIOS I usually migrate from FNC to History, which is a 10 channel bank of channels similar to History (other then FNC) with a "jump" to the Food Network 10 channels up. Most of the rest I just say fughettabaddit. Half of the rest are things like MLB which hogs 10 channels, "isolating" things I might actually watch.

I remember last time Congress or whoever tried to take up making cable companies stop the practice of loading you with 50 niche channels with a basic package. Gore gets $.12 per subscriber. Some of that the cable co gets back in ads, but you are paying something. ESPN probably gets $3-4. Clearly you pay somethiong for that, and at one time they tried to make ESPN "premium" similar to HBO they pushed so hard with fees. (I would just yank ESPN if I could, not worth it to me.) But when the talk got to killing the niche stations the logic was, "If we do not make people take them then nobody will take them."

Huh?

I really wish that I could just get a menu of what is in my package, pick what I want, put them in an order I want, and delete the rest. I have no interest in CurrentTV, the gay channel, The Church Channel, and several others. Some I will watch time to time, say the indie movie channel.

I can see YouTube migrating to where slef-produced "channels" there become a mini-cable channel. A few of their people are pretty good. Most are of coures not. But still I think a neat idea.
The President is a fink.
October 28th, 2012 at 8:37:04 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

My brother signed up for 25 Mbs internet only service for $30/month + taxes, fees, security service (price is good indefinitely). It turned out that the Fcc required stations were available if your TV has a QAM tuner (more or less standard equipment for televisions less than 6 years old).

He gets MyTV, CBS, ABC,PBS,FOX,NBC,CW, UNIVISION, ION (plus QVC and HSN) all in High Definition plus a couple of stations that broadcast old TV shows that are still funny (like Memorable Entertainment TV).

It turns out that he is not stealing a signal. The Fcc requires the cable company to include these stations, but they are not required to advertise it, or even support this capability. That is the corporate code for the fact that their phone support won't even tell you that these stations are included or that you just need to split the cable and plug it into a TV.

I know that some of the stations you mention are not included on this list (Fox News, ION, USA, TNT, ESPN, MLB, NFL), but rather than raise his rate from $30 to $80 per month to get those channels, my brother feels that he can get much of the same thing through websites, Netflix, or even NFL online packages for a lot less than $50 a month.