BUD (the King of Beers)

May 22nd, 2023 at 5:43:15 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Gandler
I saw an example of unacceptable advertising for beer (well I am against any alcohol advertising, but let's set that aside), I saw a truck last week that was a SC based brewer and talked about it's history in it's slogan where it referenced the Civil War as the "War of Northern Aggression". Completely unacceptable. Will I buy cases of their beer and shoot them? No, because I am over 12.

This is the company:
https://palmettobrewery.com/about/

"The original Palmetto Brewery survived the hurricane of 1886 and the earthquake of 1887, it even survived the Civil War, but did not survive the prohibition in 1920. The brewery closed in 1916 due to bankruptcy and that was the end of beer being brewed in Charleston for almost 80 years."

That is the slogan, however on the local truck "Civil War" is replaced by "War of Northern Aggression". And, then some wording about reopening in the 90s.

To be slightly fair, upon calling the company they claim this has not been used in over 10 years (and based on the age of the truck and the fading of the paint, this could just be a legacy paint job), but even 10-20 years ago such a phrase would be unacceptable.

Now as upset as this disgusting behavior makes me, would I buy their beer? Maybe (their IPA actually sounds good), but will I complain about their advertising in a professional manner? Absolutely. This is something the right does not seem to understand because their default response is hive mind mob mentality.

You have a pretty low level of "disgusting."
The President is a fink.
May 22nd, 2023 at 6:02:51 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: AZDuffman
You have a pretty low level of "disgusting."

No, advocating post-war pro-confederacy myths/propaganda is disgusting. Especially in 2023 (even in 1999). "The War of Norther Aggression" is a disgusting phrase. Any slogan that casually uses it, is by default disgusting. I consider most alcohol advertising to be tasteless by default, but this really threw me off-guard.

The "War of Northern Aggression" is a well-known segregationist talking point, it's not even dog-whistling at this point.
May 22nd, 2023 at 6:07:39 PM permalink
AZDuffman
No, advocating post-war pro-confederacy myths/propaganda is disgusting. Especially in 2023 (even in 1999). "The War of Norther Aggression" is a disgusting phrase. Any slogan that casually uses it, is by default disgusting. I consider most alcohol advertising to be tasteless by default, but this really threw me off-guard.

The "War of Northern Aggression" is a well-known segregationist talking point, it's not even dog-whistling at this point.

Like I said, you seem to have a very low threshold for "disgusting." Just some words, who cares?

As to segregation, maybe you had better pay closer attention. We are seeing blacks and other minorities choose to self-segregate at colleges across the land wanting their own dorms to graduation ceremonies. It is their new woke fad.
The President is a fink.
May 22nd, 2023 at 6:07:50 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I saw an example of unacceptable advertising for beer (well I am against any alcohol advertising, but let's set that aside), I saw a truck last week that was a SC based brewer and talked about it's history in it's slogan where it referenced the Civil War as the "War of Northern Aggression". Completely unacceptable. Will I buy cases of their beer and shoot them? No, because I am over 12.

The best alcohol advertising that I remember seeing on a billboard was:

At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
May 22nd, 2023 at 6:13:14 PM permalink
Gandler
Like I said, you seem to have a very low threshold for "disgusting." Just some words, who cares?

As to segregation, maybe you had better pay closer attention. We are seeing blacks and other minorities choose to self-segregate at colleges across the land wanting their own dorms to graduation ceremonies. It is their new woke fad.

Yes, I find treason disgusting. If words don't matter, then you can't be offended or disagree with any statement.

As for segregated dorms, that is not something that I support, but I suspect you do. Should there be separate dorms for gay and straight students at college?
May 23rd, 2023 at 2:34:30 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Yes, I find treason disgusting. If words don't matter, then you can't be offended or disagree with any statement.

As for segregated dorms, that is not something that I support, but I suspect you do. Should there be separate dorms for gay and straight students at college?

So you find the very founding of the USA disgusting? and you think the Bourbon family should still run France? You just said you do.

I would support separate dorms if everyone could choose to be segregated. But that is not what is happening. Check the subject out.
The President is a fink.
May 23rd, 2023 at 7:00:56 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
The "War of Northern Aggression" is a well-known segregationist talking point,
uh, no
Quote:
it's not even dog-whistling at this point.
what it is is a well-known humorous take on the war, generally Southerners making fun of themselves.

You maybe could make a case that to use "the war between the states" is a more serious matter, connected to "Lost Cause" revisionism.
That segregationists might like to use one or the other phrase would be a matter of correlation without any meaning.

Oh, I do understand that Civil War history is now "cancelled" unless it's about how bad slavery was, and anyone interested in it otherwise should be cancelled, and any jokes about the war AREN'T FUNNY
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
May 23rd, 2023 at 7:43:12 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
on a related note, the other night watching Jeopardy! a contestant gave the response "who are the Chicks" and me and my wife said no way that should be considered correct, as the right response for that group pictured would be "the Dixie Chicks"! Well, we were wrong, that group has changed it's name to just the "Chicks" ... the word "Dixie" now being cancelled too it seems
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
May 23rd, 2023 at 8:19:16 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: DoubleGold
I continued to drink Bud after their 2016 commercial:

---------------------------

"By the way, BUD had a transsexual TV commercial as early as 2016."

http://diversitytomorrow.com/thread/3796/2/#post200481

---------------------------

But putting a transsexual on a custom made beer can offended me as a consumer because it's reverse discrimination.

That's why I won't drink another Bud.

They should have left the can alone.

Out of curiosity, what can a transexual person do that a straight person has already done, at some point, and it NOT be reverse discrimination, in your view?

Also, if there was no person on the Bud Light can immediately preceding the Mulvaney cans, which there wasn't, how is putting something that was not there before reverse discrimination? It's not as if someone had immediately appeared on the can prior and then AB InBev said, "We're only putting trannies on cans from now on."

Sadly, there are good arguments to be made that AB InBev screwed up massively, but, 'Reverse discrimination' is an almost impossibly stupid argument.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
May 23rd, 2023 at 8:24:53 AM permalink
Gandler
So you find the very founding of the USA disgusting? and you think the Bourbon family should still run France? You just said you do.

I would support separate dorms if everyone could choose to be segregated. But that is not what is happening. Check the subject out.

Yes to France, the revolution there did not end well. It led to what was effectively the first world War.

U.S. is different, because it was not a change in management so to speak, it was colonies separating from an overseas King. That being said if I lived in 1700s America, I would probably be a loyalist knowing my personality. Of course it's easy to say in retrospect that the U.S. revolution turned out well.

I am very familiar with the dorm situation, and I am completely against it. I don't know why you keep assuming this is something I support.