Medical Assistance in Dying: MAID

Page 3 of 5<12345>
May 15th, 2023 at 5:09:50 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: SOOPOO
Quote: odiousgambit
Do you really want the state to get involved with assisted suicide? MAID should not be assisted suicide per se ... it should be instead a merciful assistance to the end of a life that was ending anyway, one step beyond allowing the termination of life support by machine for someone who will never be able to live again without such. I'm mostly OK with that kind of MAID

I'm a homeless person and that's my only problem? The state is going to help me exit this life? Canada hasn't gone that far yet, but the poll shows some would support it. I guess in your view you wouldn't mind seeing that going on ... I wonder if you are just arguing for the sake of argument

Not really. I’ve always believed that suicide should not be ‘prevented’. That doesn’t mean I don’t want to allocate resources to counseling, suicide prevention hotlines, psychiatric access, etc…. Hopefully you can convince the suicidal to reconsider.

But I don’t want the state to take away my right to decide to end my life if I chose to. I can understand your stance if the only thing you disagree with me on is the government involvement in helping someone achieve their goal of a peaceful, painless suicide.
I don't think we can see eye to eye exactly but the government involvement is the creepy part. Already it's going in bad directions.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
May 15th, 2023 at 6:17:30 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: SOOPOO

Not really. I’ve always believed that suicide should not be ‘prevented’. That doesn’t mean I don’t want to allocate resources to counseling, suicide prevention hotlines, psychiatric access, etc…. Hopefully you can convince the suicidal to reconsider.

But I don’t want the state to take away my right to decide to end my life if I chose to. I can understand your stance if the only thing you disagree with me on is the government involvement in helping someone achieve their goal of a peaceful, painless suicide.

I really like knowing some medical professionals agree with this. Let people make their own decision on it.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
May 16th, 2023 at 3:56:51 AM permalink
odiousgambit
"my right to decide to end my life if I chose to"

the spectre of this rights-snatcher I just don't see looming

no official 'medical assistance in dying' program in the US though. Do we want one? I have mixed feelings as I've said before.

And it is my opinion that, completely without any transparency whatsoever, the practices of palliative care that insurance companies will pay for have me wondering if we don't have an unofficial MAID. Well, knocking off terminally ill people with palliative sedation doesn't get me all up in arms even if I don't like the lack of transparency. So you do have this, Soopoo, and they aren't even close to taking it away. I think I can say the current practice is about as far as I'd like to see it go
May 16th, 2023 at 7:01:33 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
You can donate to this site OG, where I got this info from.

https://aul.org/physician-assisted-suicide/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign=dobbs_education&utm_id=Google+Ad+Grants+Campaign

Quote:
November 1994 – Oregon becomes the first state to legalize physician-assisted suicide through a referendum vote.
March 2009 – Following a ballot measure approving physician-assisted suicide, a Washington law authorizing the practice takes effect.
December 2009 – The Montana Supreme Court finds “nothing in Montana Supreme Court precedent or Montana statutes indicating that physician ‘aid in dying’ [i.e., physician-assisted suicide] is against public policy.” The court concludes physicians (and perhaps non-physicians) may use the “consent” defense against a charge of homicide when assisting a suicide.
May 2013 – Vermont Governor signs a bill legalizing physician-assisted suicide.
June 2016 – A California law permitting physician-assisted suicide takes effect.
November 2016 – Colorado voters approve a ballot initiative legalizing assisted suicide.
June 2017 – Implementation of a physician-assisted suicide law begins in the District of Columbia. January 2019 – Hawaii enacts a physician-assisted suicide law.
August 2019 – A New Jersey law permitting physician-assisted suicide takes effect.
September 2019 – A Maine law permitting physician-assisted suicide takes effect.
June 2021 – A New Mexico law permitting physician-assisted suicide takes effect.
January 2022 – Amendments to California’s physician-assisted suicide law take effect, severely reducing informed consent safeguards for patients
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 16th, 2023 at 7:34:01 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Do you really want the state to get involved with assisted suicide? MAID should not be assisted suicide per se ... it should be instead a merciful assistance to the end of a life that was ending anyway, one step beyond allowing the termination of life support by machine for someone who will never be able to live again without such. I'm mostly OK with that kind of MAID

I'm a homeless person and that's my only problem? The state is going to help me exit this life? Canada hasn't gone that far yet, but the poll shows some would support it. I guess in your view you wouldn't mind seeing that going on ... I wonder if you are just arguing for the sake of argument

For most homeless people, I don't think it's too much of a reach to say that homelessness is not their, "Only problem." I suspect that problems underlying are what contributed to them being homeless in the first place.

I'm not opposed to anyone ending their life, in a painless way, for any reason they wish. You could maybe have a thirty day waiting period, just to be sure, for anyone who is not suffering some borderline intolerable ailment such that they'll likely be dead in that amount of time anyway.

If everyone who wanted to die could, I would think a great amount of money would be saved overall.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
May 16th, 2023 at 7:35:10 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
I don't think we can see eye to eye exactly but the government involvement is the creepy part. Already it's going in bad directions.

(Quote clipped; quote-in-quote removed)

It should be fine; governments are usually really good at killing people. I think they can get this one right.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
May 16th, 2023 at 7:37:11 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Mission146
(Quote clipped; quote-in-quote removed)

It should be fine; governments are usually really good at killing people. I think they can get this one right.

Okay, that was funny.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 16th, 2023 at 9:32:21 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: rxwine
You can donate to this site OG, where I got this info from.

https://aul.org/physician-assisted-suicide/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign=dobbs_education&utm_id=Google+Ad+Grants+Campaign

Quote:
November 1994 – Oregon becomes the first state to legalize physician-assisted suicide through a referendum vote.
March 2009 – Following a ballot measure approving physician-assisted suicide, a Washington law authorizing the practice takes effect.
December 2009 – The Montana Supreme Court finds “nothing in Montana Supreme Court precedent or Montana statutes indicating that physician ‘aid in dying’ [i.e., physician-assisted suicide] is against public policy.” The court concludes physicians (and perhaps non-physicians) may use the “consent” defense against a charge of homicide when assisting a suicide.
May 2013 – Vermont Governor signs a bill legalizing physician-assisted suicide.
June 2016 – A California law permitting physician-assisted suicide takes effect.
November 2016 – Colorado voters approve a ballot initiative legalizing assisted suicide.
June 2017 – Implementation of a physician-assisted suicide law begins in the District of Columbia. January 2019 – Hawaii enacts a physician-assisted suicide law.
August 2019 – A New Jersey law permitting physician-assisted suicide takes effect.
September 2019 – A Maine law permitting physician-assisted suicide takes effect.
June 2021 – A New Mexico law permitting physician-assisted suicide takes effect.
January 2022 – Amendments to California’s physician-assisted suicide law take effect, severely reducing informed consent safeguards for patients
well, at least we are leaving it to the states, often the best policy

I had not kept track of this expansion, thanks.
May 16th, 2023 at 9:36:09 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: Mission146
For most homeless people, I don't think it's too much of a reach to say that homelessness is not their, "Only problem." I suspect that problems underlying are what contributed to them being homeless in the first place.

I'm not opposed to anyone ending their life, in a painless way, for any reason they wish. You could maybe have a thirty day waiting period, just to be sure, for anyone who is not suffering some borderline intolerable ailment such that they'll likely be dead in that amount of time anyway.

If everyone who wanted to die could, I would think a great amount of money would be saved overall.
on this last point, the Canadian experiment is being criticized for seeming to realize this all too well
May 16th, 2023 at 10:00:18 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
on this last point, the Canadian experiment is being criticized for seeming to realize this all too well

Good! Dead bodies don't require tax dollars. At least not as a continuing investment that will not have a positive return.
Page 3 of 5<12345>