living "the old ways" today

March 27th, 2023 at 12:00:38 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Usurpation, conquest, annihilation: the white man's treatment of Native Americans left much to be desired.

But having said that...are any Native Americans still living in the USA as their ancestors did pre-conquest?

Do any eschew modern medicine, modern tech, and live a primitive life?
March 27th, 2023 at 12:02:30 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: missedhervee
Usurpation, conquest, annihilation: the white man's treatment of Native Americans left much to be desired.

But having said that...are any Native Americans still living in the USA as their ancestors did pre-conquest?

I think Chief Wahoo may have been the last one.

At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
March 27th, 2023 at 12:25:59 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: missedhervee

Understanding how they lived pre-conquest and why they couldn't live without coming into conflict with white settlers is best done by reading a book

I recommend The Earth Is Weeping: The Epic Story of the Indian Wars for the American West by Peter Cozzens ... balanced, tells it like it was [as you can tell by the title] but without blaming the white man for everything
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
March 27th, 2023 at 1:04:31 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Pretty sure it wasn't the Indians that made this mountain of buffalo skulls.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 27th, 2023 at 9:24:21 PM permalink
missedhervee
I guess I'm just wondering whether it is even possible for a NA to still believe the prior spiritual beliefs, hunt, gather, relocate frequently as done back in the day.

I think probably not.

Even a shaman probably lives in a mobile home and has a cell phone now.
March 28th, 2023 at 3:35:35 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: rxwine
The ruminants of the world must all be killed to prevent global warning. We should applaud this picture [evidently]
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
March 28th, 2023 at 7:57:14 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14

There middens on the West coast from indigenous peoples with an equivalent amount of material but they are the remnants of shell fish.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
March 28th, 2023 at 8:50:18 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: kenarman

There middens on the West coast from indigenous peoples with an equivalent amount of material but they are the remnants of shell fish.

I assume they were actually using the shellfish for eating purposes also. It would be a lot of work to collect random buffalo skulls and make a pile like that. Not much work by comparison picking up shells washed ashore on the beaches that are already vacated of life.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 28th, 2023 at 2:17:47 PM permalink
missedhervee
Pic of oyster midden in Nahcotta, Wa., near Oysterville.

back story: http://sydneyofoysterville.com/2011/of-shell-piles-and-middens/
March 28th, 2023 at 4:04:47 PM permalink
rxwine
The birds.

Quote:
How did the carrier pigeon, also known as the passenger pigeon, go extinct, and when?

Witnesses reported that it took hours for the flight of birds to pass overhead. The sound was reportedly so loud it sounded like thunder and drowned out conversations. Their name comes from the French word for passing by, passager, because of the enormity of the flocks that flew overhead.

Can’t say I would miss that after the first experience, but the rain of bird crap coming down must of been awesome in its magnificent awfulness.