How many people use more than one monitor?

Page 2 of 2<12
July 20th, 2023 at 4:21:39 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: AZDuffman
Some people prefer "standing" desks. Desk is bar height and chair is bar stool height. It is sort of the new thing and I can see how for some jobs it works. When I did title work the day was so much up-down-up-down it would have worked. I thought of doing it at home but did not want to buy the new desk.

One place I worked they put one in for a guy with a bad back, was first most of us ever saw. We were not so sure what to think it was such a big change.

Laptops may eventually get a "fold out" screen for more space. But that is the kind of thing might take one more year or ten more.

My last in office position the company only bought motorized desks that raised and lowered. I never saw anyone working while standing up at that company.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
July 20th, 2023 at 4:29:39 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: DRich
My last in office position the company only bought motorized desks that raised and lowered. I never saw anyone working while standing up at that company.

My last place put in a "hotel" office that had them. You could come in if you wanted to not work from home. It was a modern-cool place. But I had no reason to use it. When they were making us come in a week a month my last few months there it drove me crazy.

When interest rates started to bottom I started looking for new work. For once in my life my timing was good as about 6-8 weeks after I left layoffs took out about 80% of the employees. I stopped by the lot last month and it looked like Saturdays used to look. This is after they gave up around 60,000 square feet of another building.

Next refi boom they will probably try to recruit me back.....
The President is a fink.
July 20th, 2023 at 4:58:31 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Evenbob
Ernest Hemingway wrote standing up at his typewriter. He said it was easier to concentrate because you constantly had to stay awake or you would fall down. Lewis Carroll, Winston Churchill, Charles Dickens, Benjamin Franklin, all wrote standing up. Whereas Mark Twain did most of his writing while lying in bed.

Interesting. That is definitely a hidden perk, it prevents you from nodding off on days where just keeping your eyes open is a struggle. It also forces you to focus more because the blood is flowing.

I got one of those pads recently which I used to make fun of, but it makes it infinitely more comfortable to stand all day.

Quote: AZDuffman
Some people prefer "standing" desks. Desk is bar
height and chair is bar stool height. It is sort of the new thing and I can see how for some jobs it works. When I did title work the day was so much up-down-up-down it would have worked. I thought of doing it at home but did not want to buy the new desk.

One place I worked they put one in for a guy with a bad back, was first most of us ever saw. We were not so sure what to think it was such a big change.

Laptops may eventually get a "fold out" screen for more space. But that is the kind of thing might take one more year or ten more.

That is the second reason I like it, it makes you much more mobile.

I don't think it has a major effect on weight loss (I know this is a debate), I like it because of comfort and mobility. Though I think it indirectly helps with weight loss because it subconsciously encourages you to randomly walk around more.

I also think it looks more professional to be standing when people walk in.
Page 2 of 2<12