Suing Cumberbatch for reparations

Page 1 of 41234>
January 2nd, 2023 at 9:57:30 PM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
https://www.thedailybeast.com/benedict-cumberbatchs-family-could-face-slavery-reparations-fight-in-barbados

I object to this because by this many generations, the genetic purity of the family tree is spoiled by infidelity. The purest ancestors would be the female line which would no longer be the same family, but they are pure descendants. Also the female line of the slaves would again be more qualified to be the suing party.
January 3rd, 2023 at 3:41:16 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: 1nickelmiracle
https://www.thedailybeast.com/benedict-cumberbatchs-family-could-face-slavery-reparations-fight-in-barbados

I object to this because by this many generations, the genetic purity of the family tree is spoiled by infidelity. The purest ancestors would be the female line which would no longer be the same family, but they are pure descendants. Also the female line of the slaves would again be more qualified to be the suing party.

Just where do you want to bet the money will wind up if reparations are collected in a country like Barbados? Oh, sure, they'll 'throw the bums a dime' as Bob Dylan put it
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 3rd, 2023 at 5:15:38 AM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Quote: odiousgambit
Just where do you want to bet the money will wind up if reparations are collected in a country like Barbados? Oh, sure, they'll 'throw the bums a dime' as Bob Dylan put it
I plead the fifth.
January 3rd, 2023 at 7:45:30 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
If you can trace something directly, I'm not opposed. If your family has a stolen painting for instance, you don't get to keep it once discovered even if you bought it unknowingly from someone without knowing it was stolen. Or the money some people made from Bernie Madoff was stolen from other investors so they became subject to "claw back".

Of course countries don't all do this the same. Depends on the laws that apply.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 3rd, 2023 at 9:43:46 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Bunch of BS, this "reparations" nonsense.

Instead of suing rich white guys why don't these clowns go after the blacks who originally captured and enslaved them in Africa, and who later sold them to white slavers?

Conquest and exploitation has been in the human playbook for thousands of years.

Some win, some lose: get over it.
January 3rd, 2023 at 1:04:29 PM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Quote: rxwine
If you can trace something directly, I'm not opposed. If your family has a stolen painting for instance, you don't get to keep it once discovered even if you bought it unknowingly from someone without knowing it was stolen. Or the money some people made from Bernie Madoff was stolen from other investors so they became subject to "claw back".

Of course countries don't all do this the same. Depends on the laws that apply.

Back then those things were said and done and it seems to be a recent change seeking things stolen multiple decades ago. Maybe I want statutes of limitations to not apply to my interests and not my possible debts. This isn't something everyone benefits from. These laws don't apply to everyone equally. It's not a profound statement to make, but it is profound nobody cares about the majority of people and certain people matter more than others by law and treaty. I'm against solving inequality with inequality and getting justice with injustice. To be clear, I am not accusing you or anyone else of any wrongdoing and I'm not attacking you.
January 4th, 2023 at 3:05:50 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: missedhervee
Bunch of BS, this "reparations" nonsense.

Instead of suing rich white guys why don't these clowns go after the blacks who originally captured and enslaved them in Africa, and who later sold them to white slavers?

Conquest and exploitation has been in the human playbook for thousands of years.

Some win, some lose: get over it.

Well, what do you think is worse? Bums in Portland taking handouts they didn't earn, or keeping property your grandfather stole from someone else?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 4th, 2023 at 3:53:55 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: rxwine
Well, what do you think is worse? Bums in Portland taking handouts they didn't earn, or keeping property your grandfather stole from someone else?

That has zero to do with the issue under discussion, but since you asked...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK9hqBF9bMQ
January 4th, 2023 at 6:12:26 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: missedhervee
That has zero to do with the issue under discussion, but since you asked...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK9hqBF9bMQ

Just trying to see if your ethics make sense.
January 4th, 2023 at 7:06:01 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
This is total insanity, his way back relatives owned slaves and were rich (the article says the family lost the plantation almost 200 years ago), he grew up middle class and made his own money, and yet since he is rich and famous now, he is suddenly responsible for the sins of distant relatives.

Yeah, this is total insanity. I don't even care about the history ofnthe family tree or how it may have been spoiled etc.... I don't care if his parents owned slaves, he did not, and as such cannot be responsible.

If your parents die in massive amounts of debt, are you responsible? Of course not, exact same concept.

At some point in history 100% of our ancestors owned slaves. That is how the world worked, some families may have to go back further than others, but does it really matter? If Barbadosa really cared about slavery they should spend their time in international court targeting countries that still practice slavery (like literally as we speak), but the reality is they are trying to use the courts for easy money from celebrities who can be guilted into not putting up a fight....

If I had to guess, he will give them the one mil just to make this go away, he shouldn't, but he probably will....
Page 1 of 41234>