Free Senate Seats!!!

Page 1 of 212>
October 27th, 2012 at 6:30:42 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
I could win against these clowns!

If there is one thing I (believe I) learned from Santorum's defeat in the Republican Presidential Primaries, it is that the best bet for Republicans in a bad economy is to focus on a plan for Economic recovery rather than focusing on divisive social issues that may cause some of your voters (who agree with your Economic or anti-ObamaCare positions) to pull away from you.

Even if this advice goes unheeded, then a respectful and well-articulated approach to controversial and sensitive social issues would be well-advised. Apparently, Missouri GOP Candidate, Todd Akin, and Indiana GOP Candidate, Richard Mourdock, didn't get the memo.

Todd Akin made the comment that, "Legitimate rape," victims rarely get pregnant because...wait for it...that part of a woman's body essentially shuts down in times of great duress!

So, how did the polls react in light of this medically brilliant commentary?

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/senate/mo/missouri_senate_akin_vs_mccaskill-2079.html

Ouch.

It was 48-43 Akin prior to that comment, and now it is essentially 48-43 McCaskill, in a race where she was declared all but finished.

I bet Todd Akin wishes that an individual's voicebox shut down in moments of great duress when he is about to say something over-the-top ridiculous! Maybe he can get his job at IBM back...

Following in the brilliant footsteps of Todd Akin, Richard Mourdock made the brilliant comment that, "God intended," for a raped woman to be impregnated if that is what happens.

Even if we ignore the fact that Mourdock is clearly speaking aggressively on a divisive issue that may lose him some voters, (and unnecessarily, since candidates should be focused solely on the Economy, ObamaCare and foreign affairs) Mourdock is still invoking God which is divisive in and of itself.

The necessary corollary to Mourdock's statement is that, if God intended for the woman to be impregnated, then God must also have intended for the woman to be raped, because certainly she could not become pregnant via rape were she not raped!!!

Brilliant!

Indiana polling laws and regulations are notoriously tight, so it will be difficult to determine what effect this will have on the polls, but Rasmussen had Mourdock leading only by 5 points prior to these comments, which also happens to be the amount by which Akin led (and McCaskill now leads) in Missouri.

Listen, everyone gets it, the (R) that comes after your name pretty much automatically makes you Pro-Life, so you really don't need to make any statements that are, you know, medically patently wrong, or any comments about God's Will, or any other divisive remarks. If you're forced to discuss abortions, just make a calm and collected statement about cases where you think it should be an option (Mourdock, for instance, does support abortion if the Mother's life is at risk) and state that you don't think it should otherwise be an option. However, for F*&^% sake, do not explicitly mention the word, 'Rape,' or otherwise allude to it in any way whatsoever, unless it is to say, "I am in favor of abortion in cases where the Mother is raped."

I am certain that the Democratic Party thanks you for the free (and probably two) seat, though.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
October 27th, 2012 at 6:41:00 AM permalink
FarFromVegas
Threads: 3
I've gotten used to ignorance, but the scary thing to me is when the ignorant people are in positions of power! Mourdock has only been a Treasurer where he presumably doesn't weigh in on policy matters but Akin has held a seat for a decade. Maybe he needs to take night classes in biology or medicine with the free time the voters hopefully give him.
This space for rent
October 27th, 2012 at 8:42:20 AM permalink
Calder
Threads: 0
He certainly answered the question badly. But it's the inevitable question asked of pro-life candidates.

What I never see are pro-choice candidates asked about the touchy side of their stance: partial birth abortion, parental notification, the handling of 'failed' abortions.
October 27th, 2012 at 1:06:49 PM permalink
rdw4potus
Threads: 10
Quote: Calder
He certainly answered the question badly. But it's the inevitable question asked of pro-life candidates.

What I never see are pro-choice candidates asked about the touchy side of their stance: partial birth abortion, parental notification, the handling of 'failed' abortions.

Isn't it asked to all candidates? The questions Mourdock managed to bomb on was "what are your views on abortion?" And he took it from there...
I'm not wearing any pants, film at 11
October 27th, 2012 at 1:45:36 PM permalink
FarFromVegas
Threads: 3
Quote: rdw4potus
Isn't it asked to all candidates? The questions Mourdock managed to bomb on was "what are your views on abortion?" And he took it from there...

It was a trap! Like asking Sarah Palin what she read!
This space for rent
October 27th, 2012 at 7:58:30 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: FarFromVegas
It was a trap! Like asking Sarah Palin what she read!

Or asking Obama what he remembers from his daily intel brief?
The President is a fink.
October 30th, 2012 at 8:13:08 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Ouch.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/senate-races/264341-dem-poll-donnelly-jumps-to-to-seven-point-lead-after-mourdock-gaffe

Mourdock has an internal poll that shows that he has a two-point lead, and I am sure that internal poll is incredibly reliable.

Quote: Mourdock
Rape is a horrible thing, and for anyone to twist my words otherwise is absurd and sick.

You'll excuse me, but I really don't see the need to twist his words around! I would say that the literal interpretation of what came out of his mouth is sufficient to quite probably doom him.

I'm not sure if Mourdock understands how formal logic works, (doubtful) but there is no twisting around of his words taking place. By definition, if an individual is raped and impregnated (via the rape) and Mourdock contends that it is God's intention that she be pregnant due to the rape, it is necessary that it was also God's intention for her to have been raped in the first place. An individual simply cannot become pregnant as a result of rape if she is not first raped.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
November 2nd, 2012 at 4:49:57 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2012/election_2012_senate_elections/indiana/election_2012_indiana_senate

BOOM!!!!

Game.F***ing.Over!

Donnelly leads Mourdock by 3 according to...Rasmussen!!! Howey-Depauw has Donnelly at +11, but they were leaning Donnelly before they actually should have been.

Two FREE Senate seats!
November 3rd, 2012 at 5:06:55 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote:
The GOP needs to gain a net of four seats to claim control of Congress’ upper chamber, a challenge that has become much more difficult due Republican candidates’ inability to stop talking about rape.

http://www.nationalmemo.com/mourdock-collapses-in-polls-in-indiana-senate-race/

Quote:
My latest story is a look back at the "rape gaffes" of 2012, which -- it can no longer be argued -- did real damage to Republicans up and down the ballot

http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/2012/11/02/poll_richard_mourdock_may_actually_blow_the_indiana_senate_race.html

Quote:
This question is going to haunt Republicans if, next week, they blow a few elections that they should have won. Why, why, why do their candidates keep musing about abortion in cases of rape?

Quote:
Republicans are better off when then this distinction never gets explored.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2012/11/richard_mourdock_questions_about_rape_and_abortion_have_become_a_problem.html

Quote:

“It’s all over but the crying,” Republican pollster Christine Matthews wrote of the race.

http://www.inquisitr.com/385238/richard-mourdock-sinks-in-polls-after-comments-that-god-intended-rape-pregnancies/#BwviCsHDIztgudVY.99

Quote:
One-third of respondents said the word “extreme” applied to Mourdock, up from 18% who said the same in a September poll.

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-donnelly-mourdock-poll-20121102,0,7739135.story

Quote:
"Bottom line: Joe Donnelly is likely to win next Tuesday, and probably the only suspense will be the margin of his victory," (Fred) Lang said.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2012/11/02/indiana-senate-race/1678313/

Quote:
...only 70 percent of Republicans are backing him.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/senate-races/265525-poll-donnelly-leads-mourdock-by-11-in-indiana

I bet he has darn near 100% Tea Party support, for what that's worth!

No, no, really, I don't mean to gloat or otherwise celebrate the epic FAIL that is Richard Mourdock's existence, but...

...Oh wait, yes I do!

I'll be laughing all the way to a Democratic Senate majority! I personally like it when the two Houses are split, forces compromise.

I guess that I'm the sort of person where if you have a question of, "X or Y," I want to see some sort of fusion resulting in a Z. Generally speaking, if 55% favor X and 45% favor Y, I typically don't want X, as moulded, because X still sucks for nearly half of the people. Some issues, by their very nature, are diametrically opposed to the extent that a compromise, literally, cannot happen, but in most cases I like to see some sort of agreement by both sides that pushes the matter at least to 75%+ general acceptability when possible.
November 8th, 2012 at 1:48:35 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
BUMP!

I have bumped the thread and now I must tell a joke, here it is:

Mourdock for Senate!!!
Page 1 of 212>