Kansas, bloody Kansas

August 3rd, 2022 at 5:46:08 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
The voters in Kansas have spoken, and the GOP damned well better listen.

They want abortions.

This is a state that went heavily for Trump previously.

Oops...looks like some pols may have miscalculated; be interesting to see how the Kansas state legislature responds.

Is this "the beginning of the end" for Trumpish policies and politicians?
August 3rd, 2022 at 6:11:26 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: missedhervee

Is this "the beginning of the end" for Trumpish policies and politicians?

Nope. Was just a bridge too far. The Trump candidates did better than the Democrats.
The President is a fink.
August 3rd, 2022 at 7:34:25 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
i had to laugh when I heard this reason it failed in Kansas.

Republicans have mistresses too!
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 4th, 2022 at 6:51:13 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
It failed because there will only be a few (if any?) states that a majority would vote against a woman’s right to an abortion if given the opportunity to vote directly on it. I may vote for a Republican candidate even if he is anti-abortion because of his other political ideas. It is but one factor of course. Is it enough to change a Repub voter to Dem? All it needs to do is change a few percent in an otherwise close race and we are saddled with a Democrat House/Senate for at least two more years. That the Republicans could squander this opportunity because they want to prevent a 16 year old high school drop out from not becoming a mother is STUPID. I’ll bet that same Senator finds a way for his 21 year old staffer to get one…
August 4th, 2022 at 6:58:21 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: SOOPOO
It failed because there will only be a few (if any?) states that a majority would vote against a woman’s right to an abortion if given the opportunity to vote directly on it. I may vote for a Republican candidate even if he is anti-abortion because of his other political ideas. It is but one factor of course. Is it enough to change a Repub voter to Dem? All it needs to do is change a few percent in an otherwise close race and we are saddled with a Democrat House/Senate for at least two more years. That the Republicans could squander this opportunity because they want to prevent a 16 year old high school drop out from not becoming a mother is STUPID. I’ll bet that same Senator finds a way for his 21 year old staffer to get one…

Why vote republican???????
In the old days Republicans were fiscally responsible
That is no longer the case
The deficit grew under Trump because Republicans gave up on fiscal responsibility
I used to vote republican because they were fiscally responsible and they supported freedom worldwide
Republicans spend as much as Dems and many support Russia and China over freedom
They are a disaster on social issues
Why vote republican?
Republicans will continue to fight abortion just like they are continuing to fight MJ.
The whole country supports abortion and MJ
Republicans don't care and will continue to fight the will of the people.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 4th, 2022 at 7:04:42 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Quote: terapined
Why vote republican???????
In the old days Republicans were fiscally responsible
That is no longer the case
The deficit grew under Trump because Republicans gave up on fiscal responsibility
I used to vote republican because they were fiscally responsible and they supported freedom worldwide
Republicans spend as much as Dems and many support Russia and China over freedom
They are a disaster on social issues
Why vote republican?

Have you been paying any attention recently? There have been multiple trillion plus spending bills the Democrats would have passed without them being blocked by either President Manchin or Vice President Sinema. I’ll agree with you that the present crop of Republicans might not be good, but they are WAY better than the Shumer/Pelosi run Congress. The Trump largesse was fueled in great part by COVID; the Democrat largesse, which will if unopposed make the Trump spending look like tip money, is because IT IS THE PARTY PLATFORM. The government will take care of all your needs, and who cares what it costs!!!
August 4th, 2022 at 7:12:50 AM permalink
SOOPOO
As far as the ‘social issues’ part, most are not as important to me as they are to you. I am pro abortion rights, but am so anti the outright just giving people money because they had kids (child tax credits). So against the concept of just making student loans disappear. So against the n any way legitimizing orjustifying the BLM riots. It’s hard to say exactly what a social issue is, but to me the Democrats are the party of no individual responsibility. The mindset the present leaders of the Dems have is so paternalistic. I think it is an insidious poison, and worse for the country than the stupid anti abortion, pro gun Republicans.
August 4th, 2022 at 9:18:48 AM permalink
JCW09
Threads: 12
Quote: SOOPOO

What Kansas showed is that the abortion issue is an issue that does not fall along party lines.
60% of the voters in Kansas this week were GOP voters.
20% of that 60%, or 1/3 decided that they would vote to keep the State Constitutional abortion provisions,
but still voted for the GOP candidates. And that assumes every Dem voted to keep the law & I am not sure that is correct.
If you are talking about 12-15 week term limits on abortions for pregnancies that are not incest, rape & health of the mother,
You'll get the 70% support the Dems claim they have for the "un-restricted right to an abortion".
The issue really isn't that contentious until you go to the extremes: ban all abortions vs. abortion up until 9 months.
Def. of Liar - "A Person Who Tells Lies" / "I lied. Deal with it" - ams288
August 4th, 2022 at 9:29:06 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
I just can’t help but laugh at what a much better position the GOP would be in today if “RINO” John Roberts had gotten his way and Roe was severely gutted but not totally eliminated.

But nope, Donny got to appoint Rapey McBeer and Crazy-Eyed Bible Lady to SCOTUS so here we are… a midterm that was going to be a bloodbath for the Dems will now be a standard midterm. They’ll surely lose the House, but not by the margins it could have been.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
August 4th, 2022 at 9:48:03 AM permalink
JCW09
Threads: 12
We shall see AMS. Dobbs surely didn't help the GOP, but it was the right call under that Constitution thingy.
As you have pointed out, Oz & Herschel are weak tea candidates.
I do think somehow Herschel will pull it off. I know, it makes no sense.
But Georgia has restricted mail in ballots, it really is a red state & I don't think the Dems show up for Warnock in a mid-term.
The fact that a stroke victim that is against fracking may win in PA is a testament to how bad Oz is as a candidate.
But I still believe this will be less about Dobbs & more about the weak GOP Senate Candidates.
I am picking Blake in AZ and I think Laxalt in NV has 50/50 chance in NV as Hispanics vote more and more for the GOP.
Def. of Liar - "A Person Who Tells Lies" / "I lied. Deal with it" - ams288