The Biden Presidency 2022

October 20th, 2022 at 10:49:34 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: ams288

I don’t feel one iota of sorrow or pity for any of those people.

Move to Florida, you take the risk of hurricanes ruining your life.

I agree that those who move anywhere need to do their due diligence, but I still feel sorry for those who moved to Kansas and their house got destroyed by a tornado.

I was fortunate that the hurricane didn't do any "major" damage to my house. I just got my statement from my insurance and they are claiming $28,000 of damage to my property. I will guess my mothers house will be closer to $300,000 in damage. We have already spent over $50k just to get her house to the point that we can start trying to find contractors. Mold remediation itself was $25k.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
October 20th, 2022 at 11:05:02 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: DRich
I agree that those who move anywhere need to do their due diligence, but I still feel sorry for those who moved to Kansas and their house got destroyed by a tornado.

I don’t. Nor do I feel any sympathy for people who move to California and have their home destroyed by a wildfire.

It’s a huge country, plenty to places to live without being under constant threat from some kind of natural disaster.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
October 20th, 2022 at 11:30:53 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: rxwine
The lack of faster innovation of non-fossil fuels is mostly the fault of Republicans. Helping the nation essentially produce its own crack is not the answer.
If I had your picture I would make you the poster boy for what's wrong with the Left. And I mean the well-meaning Left, not the happy-to-destroy-the-country Left.

By now it has become crystal clear that pushing too fast and too hard for green energy and having it replace fossil fuels on a rapid basis is asking for a complete disaster. But the Left doesn't care and isn't learning from the UK, Germany, and Sri Lanka for that matter... who are among a group of countries that are very dearly regretting trying to do such a rapid replacement at this very time!

You should be thanking god that anybody has said "slow down, wait a minute, let's don't screw this up".

And so eager to politicize it all. You made me give out a big sigh, you really did.

*SIGH*
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
October 20th, 2022 at 12:16:01 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: odiousgambit
If I had your picture I would make you the poster boy for what's wrong with the Left. And I mean the well-meaning Left, not the happy-to-destroy-the-country Left.

By now it has become crystal clear that pushing too fast and too hard for green energy and having it replace fossil fuels on a rapid basis is asking for a complete disaster. But the Left doesn't care and isn't learning from the UK, Germany, and Sri Lanka for that matter... who are among a group of countries that are very dearly regretting trying to do such a rapid replacement at this very time!

You should be thanking god that anybody has said "slow down, wait a minute, let's don't screw this up".

And so eager to politicize it all. You made me give out a big sigh, you really did.

*SIGH*

I think you missed the word "innovation". Where would we be in space exploration if we didn't try to solve problems and try things without actual demand? Where would we be if our military products were only invested in when we finally know we have need. That's too late! China, Russia, Japan would be leading the way in the space program. And militarily it would be a disaster.

Our research investment in this needed to be funded much earlier than waiting for the demand to occur. Products needed to funded, revised, improved as needed, so we should be decade or 3 ahead than where we are.

We should already be through hundreds of discarded trials of produicts that are still in only initial iterations.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 20th, 2022 at 1:31:47 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: rxwine

I think you missed the word "innovation". Where would we be in space exploration if we didn't try to solve problems and try things without actual demand? Where would we be if our military products were only invested in when we finally know we have need. That's too late! China, Russia, Japan would be leading the way in the space program. And militarily it would be a disaster.

Our research investment in this needed to be funded much earlier than waiting for the demand to occur. Products needed to funded, revised, improved as needed, so we should be decade or 3 ahead than where we are.

We should already be through hundreds of discarded trials of produicts that are still in only initial iterations.
I don't see those in charge discarding anything but power plants that run on fossil fuel. Meanwhile they are quite ready to listen to crackpots who promise more than green energy can deliver. Europe is discovering their plans to make lots of windmills is being hampered because you really need to have fossil fuels to manufacture things like that. Oops!
October 20th, 2022 at 1:41:11 PM permalink
odiousgambit
in case you were wondering about that

Quote:
The other thing about renewables is that they cannot produce the intensity of heat required to not only build turbines but just about anything else that makes the modern world modern.

The material requirements of a modern wind turbine have been reviewed by the US Geological Survey (Wind Energy in the United States and Materials Required for the Land-Based Turbine Industry From 2010 Through 2030). On average, 1 megawatt of wind capacity requires 103 tonnes of stainless steel, 402 tonnes of concrete, 6.8 tonnes of fibreglass, three tonnes of copper and 20 tonnes of cast iron. The blades are made of fibreglass, the tower of steel and the base of concrete.

Robert Wilson at Carbon Counter takes us through the ­science. Fibreglass is produced from petrochemicals, which means that a wind turbine cannot be made without the extraction of oil and natural gas. Steel is made from iron ore. To mine ore requires high energy density fuels, such as diesel. Transporting ore to steel mills requires diesel... [etc]

https://www.wind-watch.org/news/2015/07/27/wind-farms-use-fossil-fuels-for-construction-and-operation/
October 20th, 2022 at 2:02:12 PM permalink
rxwine
As ol Oct 13

Quote:
Siemens Gamesa announced Monday that its breakthrough development in offshore wind turbine technology, the 14-222 DD offshore prototype, has set a new world record for the most energy generated over 24 hours. As first reported by news outlets earlier this week, the prototype delivered 359 megawatt-hours in a single day—roughly enough to power 18,000 households, or keep a Tesla Model 3 charged for over 1 million miles.

“With every new generation of our offshore direct drive turbine technology—which uses fewer moving parts than geared turbines—component improvements have enabled greater performance while maintaining reliability,” Siemens Gamesa explains via the turbine’s fact sheet.

One of the keys to the 14-222 DD offshore prototype’s success are its “revolutionary” blades cast from a single, gigantic piece of recyclable resin. Although the company’s “RecyclableBlade” technology first appeared in an earlier turbine generation last year, additional construction advancements have further optimized its offerings via its latest project.

https://www.popsci.com/technology/offshore-wind-turbine-record-energy/#:~:text=A%20record%20has%20been%20set,a%20mid%2Dsized%20electric%20car!
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 20th, 2022 at 4:29:17 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
You must not have been in SW Florida about two weeks ago. Four to eight hour lines waiting to fill up for gas. I was using my car to charge my cell phone and had to quit doing it because gas wasn't available.

"At one station, in Port Charlotte, cars stretched for over a mile, while hundreds of others in need carried cans. And lawn chairs."

There were some lucky ones. The DeSantis administration provided FREE transport to Massachusetts just before the hurricane hit. And it wasn’t the wealthy or even the middle class! It was the immigrants who came to our country for a better life. And they were saved by DeSantis.
October 20th, 2022 at 4:37:37 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: SOOPOO
There were some lucky ones. The DeSantis administration provided FREE transport to Massachusetts just before the hurricane hit. And it wasn’t the wealthy or even the middle class! It was the immigrants who came to our country for a better life. And they were saved by DeSantis.

Anyone who escapes FL is lucky.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
October 20th, 2022 at 4:50:05 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: SOOPOO
You must not have been in SW Florida about two weeks ago. Four to eight hour lines waiting to fill up for gas. I was using my car to charge my cell phone and had to quit doing it because gas wasn't available.

"At one station, in Port Charlotte, cars stretched for over a mile, while hundreds of others in need carried cans. And lawn chairs."

Did you ever decide where you’re going to live? I think you should just get a nice boat and live on that. You can ride it up the coast and visit golf courses. You can avoid hurricanes You can dock it wherever your wife’s parents are. You can probably hire a guy to do the regular maintenance. You can probably visit nearby resort islands. You can scuba dive and fish off it.. 3 miles out, you can have legal gambling card games.