Poll
5 votes (100%)
No votes (0%)

5 members have voted

June 11th, 2013 at 11:20:38 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
NYC Sushi Restaurant's Ban on Tips Perplexes Diners

In NYC, the wait staff of a high end Japanese Restaurant put their staff on salary and refuse to accept gratuities from their customers. The chef's special can run over $100.

There is one local restaurant that has a fixed price menu at $150 per person (without alcohol) and refuses to accept gratuities. So the policy does exist in other places.

Do you think that this idea will gain ground? Will wait-staff avoid working at these places. Clearly wait-staff hopes to cheat IRS.
June 11th, 2013 at 2:31:17 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Pacomartin
Clearly wait-staff hopes to cheat IRS.
Is this even an issue? Waiters in Europe are salaried and I believe so accustomed to being slow and inattentive that some restaurants advertise "American Style Waiters".
January 25th, 2018 at 11:44:28 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
So my question is why is Publix rated so highly by customers (for years). It's a non-tipping place. Publix is also on the list of Forbes 100 best companies to work for.

Quote:
In a survey of 12,774 US customers, Market Force Collection was able to pull rankings for the top grocery stores in America. These grocery stores were determined based on brand preference, customer experience, brand engagement, and brand awareness.

Customers rated Publix Super Markets and Wegmans as the best grocery stores in America. They are tied for first place in their Composite Loyalty Index, followed closely by Trader Joe’s. The top two scored a 77 percent, while Trader Joe’s scored 76 percent. Closely following behind is H-E-B with 69 percent, and ALDI with 68 percent.

According to a recent report by Forbes, Publix is breaking its’ second-place streak after four years by snagging the top spot with Wegmans, who also received this honor last year. Both companies are also featured on the Fortune’s 100 Best Companies to Work For—Wegmans snagging the number two spot, while Publix sits at number 21.

Publix Super Markets: 77%
Wegmans: 77%
Trader Joe’s Market: 75%
H-E-B: 69%
ALDI: 68%
Harris Teeter: 66%
Hy-Vee Food Stores: 65%
Costco: 65%
WinCo Foods: 62%
Whole Foods Market: 61%
Fry’s: 58%
Kroger: 57%
Target: 56%
Winn-Dixie Stores: 54%
ShopRite: 53%
Food Lion: 52%
Albertsons: 49%
Meijer: 49%
Sam’s Club: 49%
Ginat Food Stores: 43%
Safeway: 39%
Stop & Shop: 38%
Wal-Mart: 31%

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/restaurantsandnews/america-just-named-its-top-grocery-stores-did-your-favorite-make-the-list/ar-AAv7H7B?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp&ffid=gz

Vintage publix pin.

By the way, if you're traveling it may be cost effective to read the customs for tipping.

Many countries don't expect tipping for certain services. In a few it is even insulting.

List of countries further down page.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gratuity
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 25th, 2018 at 12:16:45 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
What I would prefer to see happen is a service charge of 18% or so added to every bill, with this policy being made known to patrons somehow, and any tips above that are truly not expected but also not prohibited. That way a gratuity is what it is supposed to be, a gratuitous (thus the name gratuity) show of thanks. This way there will still be an incentive for superior service. You might ask, how is this better than what we have now? I feel it is more honest about the transaction.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 25th, 2018 at 12:51:49 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Freakonomics podcast did an ep about the subject some years ago.

There are downsides to both choices (BTW, this is true of just about everything in the universe, and life would be a lot better if more people realized this).
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 25th, 2018 at 1:06:26 PM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11
Quote: Nareed
Freakonomics podcast did an ep about the subject some years ago.

There are downsides to both choices (BTW, this is true of just about everything in the universe, and life would be a lot better if more people realized this).
In the UK, where tipping is less prevalent, there is one issue that discourages the practice. I know of at least one national chain of restaurants, where the management take control of and plunder what tips they can: They do not report to staff most of the tips that are paid on credit cards. Staff know that, and many customers too. That not only discourages tips, it disincentizes staff and leads a vicious circle where customers are driven away.
Personally, I tip in proportion to the service that I perceived I've had. An enjoyable meal, or a good haircut or a prompt taxi, gets the tip. Any negativity in the service -> zero tip and I'd begrudge an enforced service charge for poor service. Unlike many brits, I do politely complain about poor service, food, beer etc and don't hesitate to reject poor food. That in itself does not stop me tipping if the problem is corrected professionally.
When I was first presented with a chip and pin machine which was left at the 'how much gratuity' screen, I typed in my pin and nearly gave a tip of $1500 ( and nearly gave my pin away). I despised that approach so much that I will never give a tip in that establishment, that's if I ever get the urge to return.
January 25th, 2018 at 1:21:29 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: rxwine
So my question is why is Publix rated so highly by customers (for years). It's a non-tipping place. Publix is also on the list of Forbes 100 best companies to work for.

I shop at Publix
Its very clean and organized and food is fresh
as opposed to Wallmart which is not clean and very disorganized and I'm suspicious about their freshness
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 25th, 2018 at 2:29:55 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
It will not catch on. You are talking about a complete cultural change.
The President is a fink.
January 25th, 2018 at 3:50:57 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman
It will not catch on. You are talking about a complete cultural change.

Remember when we tried to switch
to the metric system? It's where we
got 2 liter bottles of coke and 1.5 liter
booze bottles. It fizzled out. We still
have gas in gallons, and measure with
feet and inches, and weigh in pounds
and ounces. Cultural change is very
difficult to achieve.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 25th, 2018 at 6:10:57 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: rxwine

Publix is a fantastic, Florida based store. I just got back from there, in fact.

They do all kinds of things to make their employees proud and happy to work there.

The employees get stock as part of their compensation. Publix hosts employee parties, special events, contests, and does scholarships for employees and their children.

The stores always close for major holidays and early every Sunday. They also have full benefits, sick leave, personal days, all the rest.

The store runs BOGO deals on dozens of things, mostly brand name, that people actually eat every week, and rotates them mostly about every 6-8 weeks. You plan your shopping, you save huge amounts of money. Employees get a grocery discount.

They hire many elderly and mentally challenged people as baggers, cart-collectors, and other jobs. They pay above minimum wage.

They are community leaders in charity giving and fundraising events. They sponsor almost any community activity offered.

They train all their people thoroughly on where everything is. They have people walking the store, not being obtrusive, but if you look like you're trying to find something, it doesn't matter what department they work in, they can tell you where it is. Not only that, but they cheerfully stop stocking or whatever and walk you to the product, chatting the whole way.

Often as not, it's a manager out on the floor helping customers. They are all friendly, gracious, cheerful with customers.

They are very quick to bring on more cashiers and baggers so the lines stay low. There are no-tip signs everywhere, but not garish, just matter-of-fact.

They take back anything for a full refund, even if it's open. If the price rings up wrong from the shelf or the newspaper ad price, the item is free. They have free coffee at the door for while you shop, samples here and there.

They print their own coupon flyers, and stack coupons from manufacturers with their own. They usually have 3 or so coupon flyers active along with their weekly ad. They rarely limit quantities on good buys. And if they run out, they check the stock room, and then give you a raincheck that's usually good for about 2 weeks, even on BOGO items.

Their produce is fresh, and it's almost impossible to find out-of-date food. I think that's because they donate huge amounts of unsold stock to local pantries, mostly before it's expired. The stores are very clean, though some of the 40-50 year old buildings look a bit worn.

Most stores also sell wine, beer, pharmacy, and have better-than-average bakeries and delis. The largest ones also have sushi chefs, a sommelier, and a large notions/cards/personal health/kitchen appliances section. They offer extensive pick-up catering, especially for the holidays.

Their in-house brand is always 25-50% cheaper than name brands and good quality. In some cases, better.

There are people who while vacationing in Florida, go there as often as they can just to enjoy a beautiful store, my brother and s-i-l included.

I shop them exclusively wherever I find them. Just about the best grocery experience in America, and I've lived nearly everywhere.

If any other grocery store wanted to improve, my list would be a good place to start.

Quote:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/restaurantsandnews/america-just-named-its-top-grocery-stores-did-your-favorite-make-the-list/ar-AAv7H7B?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp&ffid=gz

Vintage publix pin.

By the way, if you're traveling it may be cost effective to read the customs for tipping.

Many countries don't expect tipping for certain services. In a few it is even insulting.

List of countries further down page.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gratuity
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
Page 1 of 3123>