no/single survivor in a film

Page 2 of 2<12
April 21st, 2021 at 12:14:17 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I guess heroic deaths make everything better, if everyone dies. Whereas if Sleeping Beauty is unexpectedly torn apart by wolves it's upsetting to the audience.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 21st, 2021 at 12:30:03 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: rxwine
Whereas if Sleeping Beauty is unexpectedly torn apart by wolves it's upsetting to the audience.

Some of the recent Netflix films are a little along those lines.
April 21st, 2021 at 6:48:08 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I interpret the ending of Dawn of the Dead that all the characters died. At least the remake, never saw the original.

Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
April 22nd, 2021 at 3:00:08 AM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11
I'd recalled seeing a movie on tv which followed the classic 'group of survivors try to get together to prevent teotwawki' scenario, but where the world actually did end with zero survivors.
It took me a while to re-identify the film, but here it is...

https://a4d.fandom.com/wiki/Annihilation_Earth

Quote:
A view from outer space shows shock waves from the blast tearing the planet apart, with a gigantic crack forming in the immediate area of the blast. Moments later the planet's core is breached, causing it to explode.

The film concludes with a shot of pieces of what was once Earth floating through space, followed by a blank screen reading simply, Extinction.
April 22nd, 2021 at 3:09:30 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
I interpret the ending of Dawn of the Dead that all the characters died. At least the remake, never saw the original.

I think both Dawn of the Dead (original and remake) end just as the characters are about to be devoured.
Night Of The Living Dead (1968) ends with the accidental shooting of the only survivor

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) unlike the remake ends with the Doctor calling the FBI.

The "final girl" is a staple of a lot of horror films which I think was established with Alien (1979)

The Blair Witch Project
Cloverfield
Final Destination 5
Cabin In The Woods

What Lies Below
American Horror Story (season #1)
Requiem (jury is out on this one)
Page 2 of 2<12