Chauvin trial

April 22nd, 2021 at 2:58:02 PM permalink
JCW09
Threads: 12
Quote: rxwine
Are the police still obligated to correctly ID their target in such a case?

After announcing their presence and then being fired upon?
No, returning fire is not the same as initiating fire.
Def. of Liar - "A Person Who Tells Lies" / "I lied. Deal with it" - ams288
April 23rd, 2021 at 9:52:05 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: JCW09
Breonna Taylor is dead for one reason only, her boyfriend fired blindly into a dark hallway that had cops at the other end of it.
The consensus in that case that despite it being a "no knock" warrant, the cops did announce themselves.
The boyfriend is freaked out because he knows that Breonna has been in a previous relationship with a drug runner.
He thinks its drug dealers breaking down the door.
Turns out one of the four cardinal rules of gun safety is identifying your target and what is beyond it.
He didn't do that & he got Breonna killed as a result.
He should be going to jail for 3rd Degree Murder.
His actions per her life in imminent danger and she died as a result.
That's a textbook example of 3rd Degree.

We've had this discussion. If all I know is that people are breaking into my house and that I am massively outnumbered---and this is coming out of a dead sleep---I'm coming out firing.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
April 23rd, 2021 at 11:15:04 AM permalink
JCW09
With that as you plan given this set of circumstance, you shouldn't own a firearm.
Warn those that live with you there is a good chance they'll get shot under your roof
Because you'll shoot at anything in the middle night without first identifying it.
You might shoot them if they get drunk one night, forget their keys, can't wake you up & break a small window to get to their bed.
Or you'll shoot your neighbor that mistakes your place for his or hers and can't understand why their key isn't working.
There are lots of non-deadly threat reasons that an uninvited person my find themselves in your dark halllway.

C'Mon Mission, you aren't really committed to this plan.
You know that before seeing anyone, you are shouting at the intruder to stop, that you have a gun, etc.
And if its the police, in response you would hear a lot of "This is Metro Police, put down your weapon"
That's how it would go if it is the police and if it isn't the police, their dead once you see them in the bedroom doorway.
Get real, you aren't blindly shooting down a dark hallway at an individual you can't see, haven't warned to stop, etc.
You are way smarter than Breonna's boyfriend.
April 23rd, 2021 at 5:08:37 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Mission146
We've had this discussion. If all I know is that people are breaking into my house and that I am massively outnumbered---and this is coming out of a dead sleep---I'm coming out firing.

Just about the whole country agrees with you
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 23rd, 2021 at 5:57:22 PM permalink
JCW09
Quote: terapined
Just about the whole country agrees with you

Dude, you think the whole world agrees with you that Bakersfield is a great place to visit.
SMH, you're so embarrassing!
April 24th, 2021 at 6:45:08 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: JCW09
Dude, you think the whole world agrees with you that Bakersfield is a great place to visit.
SMH, you're so embarrassing!

Just so you know, much of my reasoning has to do with probability. Start with the cops have no reason I can think of to be storming my place in the middle of the night.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
April 24th, 2021 at 9:08:20 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
What if you had a severe substance abuse problem, and family decided it was time for an emergency intervention?

You'd probably feel pretty bad if you blew holes in your fellow loved ones.

My point: don't shoot if you're simply startled out of sleep: know what you're doing, who you're shooting and why.
April 24th, 2021 at 9:34:44 AM permalink
fleaswatter
Threads: 3

Hmmmm, I wonder why such a difference?
Let's go Brandon
April 24th, 2021 at 9:44:11 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: fleaswatter

Hmmmm, I wonder why such a difference?

Dunno.

Shame on Tucker Carlson for not bringing this to the attention of his racist viewers! They would have eaten that story up!
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
April 24th, 2021 at 9:48:42 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: missedhervee
What if you had a severe substance abuse problem, and family decided it was time for an emergency intervention?

You'd probably feel pretty bad if you blew holes in your fellow loved ones.

My point: don't shoot if you're simply startled out of sleep: know what you're doing, who you're shooting and why.

An emergency intervention at two o' clock in the morning that all of them decided necessitated literally breaking down my door?

I'd have to have a serious substance abuse problem to even propose that as being meaningfully possible.

Also, I have no substance abuse problem whatsoever---I don't even take prescriptions that I am, 'Supposed,' to be on.

Know What You're Doing: Shooting.

Who You're Shooting: The people breaking in who have me massively outnumbered.

Why I'm Shooting: Because there are people breaking in and they have me massively outnumbered.

Besides, if it is the cops, I'm probably getting killed anyway. And, once dead, I won't even know the difference because there will be no existence, no me and no way to know anything.

So, if it's not the cops, my preemptive strike gives me a small chance. If it is the cops, I'm dead. Seems pretty win-win.