Hydrogen Powered Cars available in California

Page 6 of 8« First<345678>
April 15th, 2021 at 11:13:04 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: kenarman
CARBON BAD We are all going to die of Global Warming if you live in a coastal city you are going to drown. None of them care about your lungs. It the world as we know it ending that has them upset.

The refusal of Toyota to introduce a BEV in the United States has the faithful up in arms. Two years ago an executive stated “selling 1.5 million hybrid cars reduces carbon emissions by a third more than selling 28,000 EVs.” Toyota introduced the hydrogen powered automobile in 2015 and their policy up until this year is to use hybrid's as an intermittent vehicle until the hydrogen cars are ready. That way you are not tapping into the grid and requiring new plants.

We wouldn't need batteries if we all switched to Mitsubushi Mirage powered by riding mower engines.
The Mitsubishi Mirage is a subcompact hatchback and sedan. It has a 78 hp internal combustion engine and weighs 2000 lbs. It does 0 to 60 mph in 12 seconds. It has an MSRP From $14,295.

Quote: Ben Jervey Mar 12, 2019
Toyota Is Losing the Electric Car Race, So It Pretends Hybrids Are Better

There are at least 12 car companies currently selling an all-electric vehicle in the United States, and Toyota isn’t one of them. Despite admitting recently that the Tesla Model 3 alone is responsible for half of Toyota’s customer defections in North America — as Prius drivers transition to all-electric — the company has been an outspoken laggard in the race to electrification.

Now, the company is using questionable logic to attempt to justify its inaction on electrification, claiming that its limited battery capacity better serves the planet by producing gasoline-electric hybrids.

For years, Toyota leadership has shunned investment in all-electric cars, laying out a more conservative strategy to “electrify” its fleet — essentially doubling down on hybrids and plug-in hybrids — as a bridge to a future generation of hydrogen fuel cell vehicles. As Tesla, Nissan, and GM have led the technological shift to fully battery electric vehicles, Toyota has publicly bashed the prospects of all-electric fleets. (See, for instance, the swipe the company took at plug-in vehicles in this recent Toyota Corolla Hybrid commercial.)

Last week, at the Geneva Auto Show, a Toyota executive provided a curious explanation for the company’s refusal to launch a single battery electric vehicle. As Car and Driver reported, Toyota claims that it is limited by battery production capacity and that “Toyota is able to produce enough batteries for 28,000 electric vehicles each year — or for 1.5 million hybrid cars.”

In other words, because Toyota has neglected to invest in battery production, it can only produce enough batteries for a trivial number of all-electric vehicles.

Due to this self-inflicted capacity shortage, the company is forced to choose between manufacturing 1.5 million hybrids or 28,000 electric cars. Using what Car and Driver called “fuzzy math,” the company tried to justify the strategy to forgo electric vehicles (EVs) on environmental grounds.

As Toyota explained it, “selling 1.5 million hybrid cars reduces carbon emissions by a third more than selling 28,000 EVs.”
April 16th, 2021 at 1:40:12 AM permalink
Pacomartin

Although hydrogen refueling is only available in California, Hawaii, and Canada the equipment is not so overwhelmingly huge that it can't be added to existing gasoline stations.

The Toyota Mirai is now priced firmly within the range of the best selling Tesla models

$37,990 Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus 50 kWh 263 max miles - 201 hp
$46,990 Tesla Model 3 Long Range 78 kWh 353 max miles - 449 hp
$55,990 Tesla Model 3 Performance 78 kWh 315 max miles - 480 hp
$49,990 Tesla Model Y Long Range 75 kWh 326 max miles - 384 hp
$60,990 Tesla Model Y Performance 75 kWh 303 max miles - 456 hp

$49,500 Toyota Mirai hydrogen fuel cell 402 max miles - 182 hp

In theory people could move up to Mirai and protect the environment without relying on future electric generation plants.

But I think Tesla owners are interested in performance and incredible acceleration (which you don't have with a Mirai) far more than they care about the environment. That is just a smoke screen to justify to their friends.
April 16th, 2021 at 7:03:45 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Early 70s VW Beetle reborn, roughly. I do admire the simplicity, but modern safety and emission standards make true simplicity impossible.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
April 16th, 2021 at 10:12:22 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Doug DeMuro reviewed a previous generation one. It is the modern Yugo. A single-mom-mobile. A fleet small package delivery car. Also being produced to keep Mitsubishi factories going a few more years before that company ultimately collapses.
The President is a fink.
April 16th, 2021 at 8:19:53 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Tesla has suspended production of it's more expensive S and X models and plans to re-release them later this year. Sales of the less expensive models are doubling compared to last year.
$37,990 Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus 50 kwh
$46,990 Tesla Model 3 Long Range 78 kwh
$55,990 Tesla Model 3 Performance 78 kwh
$49,990 Tesla Model Y Long Range 75 kwh
$60,990 Tesla Model Y Performance 75 kwh
----------------
$79,990 Tesla Model S Long Range 100 kwh
$91,990 Tesla Model S Performance 100 kwh
$79,990 Tesla Model X Long Range 100 kwh
$99,990 Tesla Model X Performance 100 kwh

Tesla does not give details of sales figures. For first quarter 2021
Model 3 & Y 180,338 produced, 182,780 delivered

In comparison a 2021 Prius Prime (plug-in) has a base MSRP of $28,220.
April 17th, 2021 at 8:10:43 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: AZDuffman
Oh, please. You would never have made it in the 70s when we actually breathed leaded gas exhaust and survived. As to filming idling vehicles that is why I do not want to live in a city like NYC. Be careful what you wish for there.

I bought a new vehicle yesterday and it has the auto engine shutoff feature when you stop. Kind of annoying.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
April 17th, 2021 at 8:13:19 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: DRich
I bought a new vehicle yesterday and it has the auto engine shutoff feature when you stop. Kind of annoying.

One manufacturer was experimenting with shutting off all but one cylinder to avoid that golf-cart feel. I was in a car had that once and could see why people hated it. But it does get your city numbers closer to highway.
The President is a fink.
April 17th, 2021 at 8:39:09 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27

If its a Ford there should be a button somewhere with an "A" and circle type thing that you can press that turns this off (engine stays running).

Other brands probably have a similar button.

This is what it should look like:

April 17th, 2021 at 8:48:02 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Gandler
If its a Ford there should be a button somewhere with an "A" and circle type thing that you can press that turns this off (engine stays running).

Other brands probably have a similar button.

Yes, the one I bought is a Honda and it does have a button to disable the feature. The problem is that every time that you start the car the feature reverts back to on so every time you drive it you have to remember to turn it off.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
April 17th, 2021 at 9:02:14 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Yes, the one I bought is a Honda and it does have a button to disable the feature. The problem is that every time that you start the car the feature reverts back to on so every time you drive it you have to remember to turn it off.

Yeah, Ford is the same way, there is no way to have it off by default. At least not that I have found.
Page 6 of 8« First<345678>