sneaky old tin man

Page 1 of 212>
February 14th, 2021 at 3:23:35 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
February 14th, 2021 at 8:58:48 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
wow, that was sneaky, deliberate too, all these years and seems like nobody noticed that?

ye Wizards, beware!
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
February 14th, 2021 at 9:44:14 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: odiousgambit
wow, that was sneaky, deliberate too, all these years and seems like nobody noticed that?

ye Wizards, beware!

Ok. I’m game. What was I supposed to notice?
February 14th, 2021 at 11:54:42 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: SOOPOO
Ok. I’m game. What was I supposed to notice?
well, I'd tease you about that but I've watched that movie many times and I never noticed. The title should say co 37 seconds in [or so]. And what does the tin man soon do? He is supposed to want Dorothy's wish to leave in the balloon to happen, but ...

and I just noticed, also, the combined weight of he and the scarecrow maybe could have kept that balloon from ...
February 14th, 2021 at 12:43:57 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
The movie is very good, but has a lot of bizarre things. I have no idea why he would do that. Maybe it was part of her dream that since he had heart he wanted her to find her own way back in a sneaky way (that is kind of a stretch).

One thing that was pointed out to me when I watched this movie with somebody recently was the whole plot started with Dorothy's dog biting her neighbor and her getting the Sherriff an order to seize and euthanize the dog. Which is why she ran away in the first place. However, when she returns from Oz she is right back where she started and not in hiding and this is never addressed again.
I have never actually read the book so I have no clue if the book covers or resolves this. And, of all the times I have seen this movie I have never noticed this before (I guess after all of the Oz stuff you are not really thinking about the events that started it). But, once its pointed out to you it kind of puts a damper on the movie.
February 14th, 2021 at 1:02:39 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I read the "Wizard of Oz" book when I was a kid. But the book had other Oz stories. So I have like a confused memory about the written part.

For instance the "Flatheads" stuck with me.

Quote:
The Flatheads lived in a depression atop a mountain, located near the lake of the Skeezers.

Their name identified their most conspicuous feature: they were flat-headed, lacking craniums and foreheads. They kept their brains in canisters they carried about with them. (The canisters were vulnerable to theft.)

Seemed like they could use the top of their heads to fling people up in the air?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 14th, 2021 at 1:06:14 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: Gandler
The movie is very good, but has a lot of bizarre things. I have no idea why he would do that. Maybe it was part of her dream that since he had heart he wanted her to find her own way back in a sneaky way (that is kind of a stretch).
Are you over-thinking it? Maybe he didn't want Dorothy to leave, being selfish about it.
February 16th, 2021 at 11:54:06 AM permalink
DJTeddyBear
Threads: 5
I DID notice that years ago, but brushed it off as Jack Haley noticing something was set incorrectly, and fixed it in a manner that allowed the shot to proceed. After all, back then, multiple takes of the same shot were expensive. Maybe he thought he did it while the cameras were pointed elsewhere. We never see the other tie getting loosened, although I now noticed that it did start tied.

On the other hand, since the Tin Woodman and Cowardly Lion are the closest to the two tie-downs, and both ties get untied at a most unfortunate moment, maybe we are led to believe that they are really stupid. Of course, the Scarecrow is using his newfound brains, and wasn't involved in this mistake.

Of course, after the hell that this 'wizard' put them thru, maybe the Tin Woodman is using this opportunity to put distance between Dorothy and that a-hole, and make it look like an accident.
Ignorance is bliss and knowledge is power. But having only some facts can get you into trouble!
February 16th, 2021 at 12:49:51 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
TV and filmakers probably didn't think much about viewers using slow motion,

I say "slow motion" into my remote and watch any scene for any details I want.*

*mostly just naked women
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 16th, 2021 at 1:39:54 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: rxwine
TV and filmakers probably didn't think much about viewers using slow motion,

I say "slow motion" into my remote and watch any scene for any details I want.*

*mostly just naked women

I rather prefer women that are moving quickly.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
Page 1 of 212>