Poll
3 votes (100%)
No votes (0%)

3 members have voted

February 12th, 2021 at 11:52:04 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: rxwine
There is a relevant point though that some people, who don’t get around very well and depend on mass transit now have no convenient option nearby if able bodied outsiders use up the vaccines in their neighborhood.

Just humor me.... if the government (in my state, Cuomo, who has been governing by executive order for a year), wanted those people to preferentially get the shot over those that know how to use the internet, you don’t think the government would have legislated such? Or ordered such? I’m not arguing that the concept of getting those people shots.. I’m just telling you the government could have arranged it, and chose not to!

And this wasn’t ‘those wascally wepublicans’, this is the Democrat leaders. (In my state)
February 12th, 2021 at 11:57:10 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
There is a relevant point though that some people, who don’t get around very well and depend on mass transit now have no convenient option nearby if able bodied outsiders use up the vaccines in their neighborhood.

I agree that is a fair point and could theoretically be a part of a moral consideration that one would make. I just don't think that making it a moral consideration is necessarily an imperative.

I guess it comes down to whether or not you're willing to put yourself above some nameless and faceless (to you) hypothetical person who relies on mass transit and has to wait a little longer for a vaccine as a result of you getting it. We take any number of actions every single day that either directly or indirectly fail to take into account the wants/needs of others, so I don't think that by itself makes the question any different.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
February 12th, 2021 at 12:19:03 PM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
These reports are one month old. The NYC vaccine centers are still largely empty. People are making online appointments and not keeping them.

Nearly Empty Vaccination Centers

New York's empty COVID vaccination centers
February 12th, 2021 at 3:55:13 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Mission146
I'm going to get my vaccine when I both qualify and feel like it...which means I am likely to be one of the very last to get it if I get around to it at all.

Same here
I'll wait till its easily availing in drug stores or Pharmacies
I want to see if this really works
Vaccine vs mutating virus
Living alone , it's easy to social distance.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 13th, 2021 at 12:48:02 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Locals here are whining that snowbirds are using up the supply before the 65 and under crowd can get in line.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
February 13th, 2021 at 3:54:49 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
I mean you have to register through the State or County (I think in most states anyway, and I am sure in NY) and they assign a specific appointment at a specific site (or you request it and they approve it). I don't know how much choice you even have in what "neighborhood" you go to?

I mean maybe that neighborhood was the only availability for the assigned appointment? There are way too many unanswered questions to be upset at what neighborhood people get a vaccine in.... This seems like media posturing.... I don't see anything wrong, and if there is, it is on the appointment assignment agency not the individuals....
February 13th, 2021 at 4:24:51 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Gandler
I mean you have to register through the State or County (I think in most states anyway, and I am sure in NY) and they assign a specific appointment at a specific site (or you request it and they approve it). I don't know how much choice you even have in what "neighborhood" you go to?

I mean maybe that neighborhood was the only availability for the assigned appointment? There are way too many unanswered questions to be upset at what neighborhood people get a vaccine in.... This seems like media posturing.... I don't see anything wrong, and if there is, it is on the appointment assignment agency not the individuals....

I get it. Just surprised no one argues the value of not doing something just because you can. Like you know you can eat the last piece of fruit or chocolate that is supposed to be divided evenly, but since you can, so you do.

Did everyone grow up in the ghetto, or some Machiavellian business school where the order of the day is eat or be eaten, or dog eat dog?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 14th, 2021 at 5:28:07 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
I get it. Just surprised no one argues the value of not doing something just because you can. Like you know you can eat the last piece of fruit or chocolate that is supposed to be divided evenly, but since you can, so you do.

Did everyone grow up in the ghetto, or some Machiavellian business school where the order of the day is eat or be eaten, or dog eat dog?

There's a certain degree of perspective at play, here. Just because I might not personally do something (such as go way out of my neighborhood to get the vaccine---even if I really wanted it) doesn't mean I have to hold it against others who do so.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
February 21st, 2021 at 4:32:34 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
NY State has now offered vaccines to people in specific zip codes. Both in NYC and Buffalo. At least for Buffalo, these area zip codes that have lower percentage rates of the population being vaccinated than average in Erie County.
February 21st, 2021 at 7:15:05 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: SOOPOO
NY State has now offered vaccines to people in specific zip codes. Both in NYC and Buffalo. At least for Buffalo, these area zip codes that have lower percentage rates of the population being vaccinated than average in Erie County.

Today Nevada is now offering vaccines to anyone 65+. hopefully in the next 30 days they will include my age group.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
Page 3 of 4<1234>