Hollywood Should Make More Horror Films

Page 2 of 4<1234>
June 14th, 2013 at 1:09:58 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: zippyboy
The idea being that society as a whole would be happier if we let the low-life riff-raff kill each other off in a government-sanctioned event. Also, be nice to your neighbors and employees, just...in...case.

Well everything from The Lottery to such things as Death Race deal with certain events wherein there is a suspension of the normal "right and wrong" standards. Its the same way with prison movies wherein its okay to kill over a piece of toast because if you don't kill over a piece of toast you will be killed for a piece of toast. The various limits are to time, place or circumstances, because the real world only provides temporary alterations to the rules of war. We can get away from Boxing and grasp the concept of real fighting with such things as Multiple Martial Arts. Circumstances can also arise where we experience a paradigm shift: Post Katrina meant no food or water or police or fire services. It was pretty much the same thing but in a hapless way and an unofficial way.

Its sort of the concept of Fashching. I believe that is the proper spelling for the Brazilian festival period wherein men and women are expected to appear in public largely in bath robes and the laws against adultery are suspended. Popping down to the hotel's cafe with just a robe on is fine and doing it with someone else's spouse is fine too. Indeed its sort of a sport to be seen in what would otherwise be compromising positions.

I recently posted about Australia's Anzac Day festivities regarding Two Up or the Vietnamese Three Day New Year festival wherein even the police will engage in non-stop gambling but vigorously enforce anti-gambling laws at other times of the year.

Let the scum kill the scum is always a grand idea but Charles Bronson found out that it has disadvantages from time to time.
June 14th, 2013 at 1:33:23 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Fleastiff
Its sort of the concept of Fashching. I believe that is the proper spelling for the Brazilian festival period wherein men and women are expected to appear in public largely in bath robes and the laws against adultery are suspended. Popping down to the hotel's cafe with just a robe on is fine and doing it with someone else's spouse is fine too. Indeed its sort of a sport to be seen in what would otherwise be compromising positions.

The Amish have rumpspringa
June 14th, 2013 at 3:57:20 PM permalink
Pacomartin

Now it seems like the latest horror flick has a bunch of actors playing themselves. This idea of playing yourself seems to be taking over in Movies and TV.
June 17th, 2013 at 4:12:12 AM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
Most were in Pineapple Express. Great cast, but the one probably the least worthy is Jay Baruchel.
June 17th, 2013 at 10:13:17 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: 1nickelmiracle
Great cast, but the one probably the least worthy is Jay Baruchel.

Because this movie is so self referential, the fact that Jay Baruchel is less famous than the other five is one of the running gags in the movie. In reality, he and Seth Rogen are both from Canada born only days apart. Jay was working in TV at the age of 13, and Seth at the age of 17. So far Jay's biggest hit was animated film, whereas Seth Rogen is a recognizable live actor.

James Franco ...
Jonah Hill ...
Seth Rogen ...
Jay Baruchel ...
Danny McBride ...
Craig Robinson ...
June 17th, 2013 at 11:15:55 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Hmmm, Jay Baruchel I didn't have to look up (saw him 'Shes Out of My League' and a couple of other shows where he plays a whiny nerd... and plays it very well).
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
June 17th, 2013 at 11:56:09 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Jonah Hill has now made 21 films that grossed $1,632.1 million
Angelina Jolie has now made 28 films that grossed $1,578.6 million

They have each made 3 animated films. However, to be fair, Angelina Jolie's biggest films were made before Jonah Hill started getting credits (so her movies have 12% more in ticket sales). But she is 8 years older and with 7 more films. Now Angelina Jolie makes a fortune in product endorsements, whereas I have yet to see Jonah Hill endorse anything.

But in any case, it just shows you that it is possible to be a big star and worth millions without being particularly handsome and playing mostly whiny characters with stunted emotional development. Funny is valuable commodity. He was actually more like able when he was fat, but no fat actor wants to stay fat once they become rich.

June 18th, 2013 at 4:34:20 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Pacomartin
The Amish have rumpspringa
Yes, that is true but to be precise it is not at all a suspension of pre-existing moral values but an acknowledgement of a biological teenage state of those who have not yet accepted any code of moral values.
June 19th, 2013 at 4:27:10 AM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
Jonah Hill is the son of a Hollywood exec or lawyer and childhood best friends of Adam Levine.
June 23rd, 2013 at 8:17:41 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
In the absence of another thread to post in, I saw World War Z today; 1pm showing and theater was 95% full on third day of release.

Do we really need yet another zombie movie? Even if this one's got Brad Pitt? This movie offered nothing new we haven't seen before. A few interesting scenes in the beginning, but most of the good stuff was all shown in the trailers on TV. The best part of the movie was Brad's character's relationship with his family. The worst part was the thoroughly predictable climax. In fact, it was so awful I wouldn't have even known it was supposed to be the climax if the music hadn't swelled and camera angles clued me in that this was a key scene. Very overrated. Hope there's not a sequel.
Page 2 of 4<1234>