Karen name disappearing

Page 1 of 212>
July 14th, 2020 at 12:17:02 AM permalink
smoothgrh
Threads: 1
I was thinking that the name “Karen” will probably plummet in next year’s baby rankings. But a look at the SSA baby names site reveals that its popularity has been steadily declining anyway.

In 2002, it was the 150th most popular girl’s name in the U.S. By 2012, it had dropped to 354th. Only three years later, it was out of the top 500. In 2018, it ranked 635th.

Matt Schimkowitz, a senior editor at Know Your Meme, cites a Dane Cook 2005 comedy special as the most “convincing” reason for its current pejorative use — though the name’s ranking didn’t change too much around that time.

I feel bad for all the nice Karens out there, but the name is probably going away much like other outmoded names.
July 14th, 2020 at 2:57:49 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I've been trying to avoid using 'Karen' as a slur, though it is tempting. Another epithet to use that one day you'll be told you're an awful person for using it, after it goes out of style.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
July 14th, 2020 at 6:37:55 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: smoothgrh
I feel bad for all the nice Karens out there, but the name is probably going away much like other outmoded names.

I met an older man once, a very alpha executive type. He introduced himself as "Kermit", and I thought his life must be hell.
The name Kermit was given 279 times in 1930, but only 10 times in 2018 (by sadomasochistic parents).

If everyone doesn't know it, the following note is on the SSA website.
In 1998, the Social Security Administration published Actuarial Note #139, Name Distributions in the Social Security Area, August 1997, on the distribution of given names of Social Security number holders. The note, written by actuary Michael W. Shackleford, gave birth to the present website.
July 14th, 2020 at 8:48:16 AM permalink
smoothgrh
Threads: 1
Quote: Pacomartin

In 1998, the Social Security Administration published Actuarial Note #139, Name Distributions in the Social Security Area, August 1997, on the distribution of given names of Social Security number holders. The note, written by actuary Michael W. Shackleford, gave birth to the present website.

Is that the guy who collects license plates? 😁
July 14th, 2020 at 8:56:44 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

No, the one who is into unicycles.
The President is a fink.
July 14th, 2020 at 10:27:39 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
I met an older man once, a very alpha executive type. He introduced himself as "Kermit", and I thought his life must be hell.
The name Kermit was given 279 times in 1930, but only 10 times in 2018 (by sadomasochistic parents).

One of Theodore Roosevelt's sons was named Kermit.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
December 28th, 2022 at 6:50:40 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
time to get up to date, now it's Karen, Becky, and Stacy.

Quote:
[Karen=] an aggressive, racist, minivan-driving, white mom. Your typical Karen has [to] “speak to the manager”

[Becky=] basic bitch who is a privileged, sheltered, generic, and unlikeable white woman.

[Stacy=] an attractive woman who is vain, rude, and only interested in sex.

https://www.dictionary.com/e/karen-vs-becky-vs-stacy/
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
December 28th, 2022 at 7:21:19 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: odiousgambit
time to get up to date, now it's Karen, Becky, and Stacy.

Quote:
[Karen=] an aggressive, racist, minivan-driving, white mom. Your typical Karen has [to] “speak to the manager”

[Becky=] basic bitch who is a privileged, sheltered, generic, and unlikeable white woman.

[Stacy=] an attractive woman who is vain, rude, and only interested in sex.

https://www.dictionary.com/e/karen-vs-becky-vs-stacy/

Never heard the Stacy one before. But definitely knew about Becky.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
December 28th, 2022 at 11:55:01 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
How long has it been since you met anyone named "Adolph?"

Another great name consigned to the dust bin.

Or maybe Atilla?

Great name, but...
December 28th, 2022 at 2:43:58 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51

Clearly that guy is a nerd.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
Page 1 of 212>