Top 5 Game

Page 1 of 212>
June 23rd, 2020 at 8:48:00 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Greetings!

Just for something to do, let's have a Top 5, 'Game,' even though it's not exactly a game.

RULES:

1.) Respond to the previous Top 5 List by making a Top 5 list of the same category. (Descriptions Optional)

2.) Present a new Top 5 List on anything you want. (At least include a small description for each list item)

3.) Rinse and Repeat, do not post twice in a row.

4.) If two people respond to the same post, the post that was the earlier of the two gets the response, OR, the following poster can respond to BOTH of the previous Top 5 Lists.

My Top Five (No Pizza) Fast Food Places

I don't consider pizza to be, "Fast food," because it's not particularly fast. I suppose Little Caesars could be an exception, since some pizzas are already ready to go, but it wouldn't make my list anyway.

Honorable Mentions:

Five Guys: Sorry, Five Guys. The food is pretty good, but I can do better than a high-level fast food burger and fries at those prices in a classic sit down restaurant.

Roy Rogers: Horsey sauce and customizable (unless they do away with the toppings bar). Love it, even though the burgers themselves are second-tier. Not enough locations to make the list.

#5 McDonald's

Damn it all, I hate putting McDonald's on a top-anything list, but here they are barely making their way aboard. The thing about McDonald's is that it simply offers so much that if you hunt and peck your way around the menu, you're sure to find something you really enjoy. They're also extremely cheap and extremely widely available.

They've really got to do something about the breakfast hash browns, though. What a disgrace. Also, didn't they used to come in pairs?

BREAKFAST: Bacon, Egg & Cheese Biscuit (or two when 2 for $4), coffee. Coffee's a buck and while still kind of always burnt tasting, has gotten better. The biscuits are buttery, flaky and delicious. If you're going to eat two of them, prepare not to do much else that day. If you're only getting one BE&C and coffee, might as well make it a meal if you think one of the oily and insubstantial hash browns is worth $0.35, but I don't.

LUNCH/DINNER: The best burgers on the menu are the 2 for $3 McDoubles they have currently at my location. I would also recommend black coffee to go along with them. People swear by the fries, but I don't find them worth the calories...except the app does occasionally have free fries with any purchase. I'll eat some of them for free. I like the McDouble burgers because I think the distribution is pretty good...the QP tastes like nothing and the Big Mac might as well not even bother to have beef on it.

#4 Kentucky Fried Chicken

PETA-endorsed KFC is coming in the #4 spot for this list simply because the offerings are fairly unique, particularly when it comes to the sides. Pretty simply: If you hate KFC, you haven't really had KFC. KFC is the fast food you get if you want something that at least resembles a dinner that you might actually prepare at home. Another thing about KFC is that it's pretty convenient for whatever size crew you're buying for because of all of the different item combinations and sizes.

LUNCH/DINNER: Extra Crispy Chicken, biscuits, cole slaw, mashed potatoes.

The one thing I would recommend is to probably avoid doing this more than 2-3 times per year. This is not a meal that treats you very well the following day.

#3 Chick-Fil-A

Yeah, I know, something political. Whatever. Have you tried the chicken sandwiches? Chick-Fil-A is reasonably priced, unique enough and really good at what it does. The menu is hardly expansive, but they knock it out of the park with everything they serve.

BREAKFAST: Don't know, never tried. Chicken for breakfast just doesn't appeal to me. Also, how do you not call a chicken and egg sandwich something like, "The Before and After Bagel?"

LUNCH/DINNER: Easy! Chick-Fil-A Spicy Deluxe combo with waffle fries. The waffle fries are unique, though unremarkable...but Chick-Fil-A has something like 192,573 different sauces. If you can't find something to make the fries satisfactory, then you're being too picky.

#2 Arby's

Oh hell yeah! If you don't love curly fries and meat, you're not an American, and Arby's has the meats!

What meats?

Yes.

They probably have a venison sandwich that I missed just because I haven't spent enough time looking at the menu. Take your pick and you'll probably either love it or hate it, but if you try a few different things, you're sure to land on a few winners.

LUNCH/DINNER: Reuben Sandwich combo with curly fries. Unless they take the Reuben off of the menu, I'll never eat anything else. It might not be as loaded as you might get at a sit-down restaurant, but I think it tastes almost as good. PRO TIP: Nobody knows your Thousand Island preferences as well as you do, ask for it to be on the side, unless you're eating while driving.

Also, the Reuben is NOT a great choice for eating while driving, unless you don't like the shirt you're wearing.

#1 Wendy's

Was there ever really a doubt?

They say the chicken sandwiches are good, but I wouldn't really know. They say some of the sides are unique (baked potato, chili) and I suppose that's true, but I couldn't tell you what they taste like. That they now have breakfast is a huge bonus, but Wendy's wins for the Lunch/Dinner combo that I always get and will always get.

BREAKFAST: Breakfast Baconator with Wendy's Breakfast Potatoes and black coffee! Wendy's one failing used to be the fact that the coffee there was abysmal, but it's actually pretty good now as long as you don't hate strong tasting coffee. The breakfast potatoes have set a new standard in the fast food breakfast game and are pretty unique...if you know what Ho-Jo/JoJo/Potato Wedges are...basically those, but smaller and crispier. The seasoning is better and the batter is not as thick as those other things.

The only potatoes I like ALMOST as much are the Hardee's Hash Rounds, but that's like comparing apples and oranges...and the hash rounds are sort of something you just get in the mood for once every year or two.

Okay, so the Breakfast Baconator is maybe something you only want to eat every month or two. That said, it's a brioche bun, six strips of bacon, a sausage patty, a fried egg, two slices of American cheese and a Swiss cheese sauce. Through it all, these competing elements work in nearly perfect harmony...but damn it this thing is a health abomination. Maybe get one and cut it in half to share? If you take this breakfast down on your own, it's going to be an early nap time that day.

I think I've had it three times and, on one occasion, the brioche bun couldn't really stand up to the moisture of what was contained...the other two times weren't a problem.

When it comes to the calorie count...this is almost double one BE&C Biscuit at McDonald's.

Totally get this with the breakfast potatoes...just once...you know you want to. Just make sure you spent the rest of the day drinking a ton of water and eating rabbit food, it'll be okay.

LUNCH/DINNER: Okay, so if you do the Breakfast Baconator Combo, I do not recommend coming back for this, because you will immediately have a massive coronary, but...

Dave's Double Combo---no ketchup, no mayo. Get that ketchup and mayo riffraff off of there, Wendy's fresh, never frozen, beef is in no need of any such foolishness. I choose Dave's Double because the distribution of the bun/veggies to the meat and cheese is absolutely perfect! It leads with the meat and cheese with JUST thick enough cuts of the other vegetables to be noticeable. Fear not for the life of the bun, it's toasted, and can take the pain. Dave's Single gets lost in the bun and the Triple will result in needing a triple bypass.

Look, everyone craps on the fries. Dip them in the Frosty, or whatever. I've never had a problem with the natural-cut fries, they just taste like a potato. Perfectly fine with me, no dipping sauce needed...but Sweet & Sour isn't bad if you're in the mood for it. I think you can also substitute the baked potato for fries, but I'm not 100% sure on that one.

BONUS: Wendy's now serves tolerable coffee!!! That at least knocks a few calories off of what used to be a choice of Dr. Pepper.

WINNER WINNER: Wendy's wins, with or without breakfast. Dave's Double is the most well-distributed, and one of the most juicy, fast food burgers in the game. If you get one that sucks, just never return to that Wendy's, though Wendy's' are usually pretty consistent.

--------

Okay, so first you have to pick your Top 5 Fast Food places and then post your own Top 5's on something else and the person after you will respond to those.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
June 23rd, 2020 at 9:00:47 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
I have to take issue with KFC. Got the $20 basket/sides deal a few weeks ago. Wife was looking forward to it. She took a big piece of what had the outward appearance of a chicken breast. After she peeled off the many layers of crust, she showed me the microscopic amount of 'meat' that this chicken had. I mean, it looked like it was starved nearly to death before they killed it. The mashed potatoes are perhaps the blandest thing on the planet, with the possible exception of the gravy that comes with it. I am still trying to figure out what deflavoring chemical they used for the gravy. I mean, it looked like it should taste like gravy, but did not.

The more I think about it, you should be suspended for putting KFC in a top 5 list.

Assuming I can't use local places,

1. Burger King
2. Wendy's
3. Arby's
4. Taco Bell
5. McDonalds

Frankly, 4 and 5 are very weak.
June 23rd, 2020 at 9:09:11 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: SOOPOO
I have to take issue with KFC. Got the $20 basket/sides deal a few weeks ago. Wife was looking forward to it. She took a big piece of what had the outward appearance of a chicken breast. After she peeled off the many layers of crust, she showed me the microscopic amount of 'meat' that this chicken had. I mean, it looked like it was starved nearly to death before they killed it. The mashed potatoes are perhaps the blandest thing on the planet, with the possible exception of the gravy that comes with it. I am still trying to figure out what deflavoring chemical they used for the gravy. I mean, it looked like it should taste like gravy, but did not.

The more I think about it, you should be suspended for putting KFC in a top 5 list.

1. Burger King
2. Wendy's
3. Arby's
4. Taco Bell
5. McDonalds

You must also create a new list for the next person to answer! Will Edit this with a response momentarily.

Yeah, there's really a ton of meat/breading variance when it comes to KFC Chicken, I don't dispute that point. Of course, even making it at home, (unless you spend a lot of time in the chicken section of the store or handpick your breasts at the meat department itself) fried chicken can be somewhat inconsistent. I like the drumsticks, more consistent. I'll take that fried batter if she doesn't want it, by the way, I'll just set it on top of my pieces of chicken....(Haha! I'm so gross. There's a reason I don't eat that very often...at home I usually just make a sautéed chicken breast sandwich, heavily spiced&peppered, with beefsteak tomatoes and Boston lettuce on toasted Italian bread if I'm in a chicken mood.)

The gravy is absolutely necessary. I've also heard the pot pies are very good, but have never tried one.

Why Burger King? It would make my Bottom Five easily, no offense. I don't think the burgers there are any good and the fact that the Whopper doesn't already come with cheese is bull****. I did like the Quadruple Stack when I was in college, I think you can still get it at some of them, but you'll not actually see it on the menu. I might do a Double Stacker these days.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
June 23rd, 2020 at 9:13:54 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: SOOPOO

1. Burger King
2. Wendy's
3. Arby's
4. Taco Bell
5. McDonalds

I think his disgrace is having Wendy's at number one.

1) Arby's (I think it is the best fast food but I don't eat it very often because of price)
2) McDonalds (just based on value and their breakfast 2 for 1 sandwiches everyday when using their app, their fries are definitely the best and anyone that disagrees is a moron).
3) Popeye's ( I exclusively eat their blackened chicken fingers over anything deep fried and battered. I also like their Sparkle seasoning packets that they give)
4) Del Taco (not great quality but three tacos for $1.29 appeals to my cheap side)
5) KFC (I wish they would bring back the Original Recipe chicken fingers)

For a new topic, best 5 things to watch on TV:

1) Any college football game.
2) College Football Gameday with Kirk Herbstreit
3) Thursday night football (I don't really care for much NFL football but it is Thursday and nothing else is on)
4) Reruns of Cheers
5) Reruns of Married With Children ( I am planning on buying a No'Maam shirt).
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
June 23rd, 2020 at 3:29:55 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
I'm going to continue off of the TV list tomorrow if nobody else does by then. I almost never watch TV, so that's the main reason I haven't added to this yet.
June 23rd, 2020 at 4:17:36 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: DRich

5) KFC (I wish they would bring back the Original Recipe chicken fingers)

I had KFC for the first and last
time in 1965. I had a car finally
and went across town to the
only KFC and got a 20 piece
bucket for $3.99, ate 18 pieces
right there in the parking lot,
Pulled over twice on the way
home and puked my guts out.
Never touched it again.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 24th, 2020 at 2:27:55 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
I had KFC for the first and last
time in 1965. I had a car finally
and went across town to the
only KFC and got a 20 piece
bucket for $3.99, ate 18 pieces
right there in the parking lot,
Pulled over twice on the way
home and puked my guts out.
Never touched it again.

You ate enough chicken for a family and got sick, a surprise why?

Was your nickname "Jake?"
The President is a fink.
June 24th, 2020 at 8:10:52 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Can someone do the TV one and continue it with a new one? LOL. I couldn't even name five things I watch on TV, much less have five favorites.
June 24th, 2020 at 8:36:25 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Mission146
Can someone do the TV one and continue it with a new one? LOL. I couldn't even name five things I watch on TV, much less have five favorites.

Other than "Shark Tank" I cannot name one show on the networks. "Friends" was the last sitcom I watched regular. I just cannot get into anything now.
The President is a fink.
June 24th, 2020 at 8:41:41 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: AZDuffman
Other than "Shark Tank" I cannot name one show on the networks. "Friends" was the last sitcom I watched regular. I just cannot get into anything now.

I watch The Orville, but it's technically not on TV anymore.
Page 1 of 212>