The City on Fire

June 5th, 2020 at 2:00:48 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Evenbob
Quote: terapined
Criminal charges absolutely. It does not take much to seriously injure the elderly.

Old white guy? Yawn, nobody will
care.

Lots of coverage on Fox, CNN. The unit (anti-riot?) that the two cops were in reportedly have ALL resigned in support of the two suspended cops. I believe the cops were wrong, but how are you to clear out people if they don’t follow your verbal instructions if you are not allowed to use some force? I do not even think the two cops wanted him to fall, it looks like they were trying to push him out of the way. They obviously misjudged the guys frailty. But as opposed to keeping your knee in someone’s neck for 8 minutes, this was a split second action. They erred. But if that error costs you an entire career, as it almost certainly will, the next cop will just not do his job for fear of losing his job.
June 5th, 2020 at 2:24:20 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: SOOPOO
They erred. But if that error costs you an entire career, as it almost certainly will, the next cop will just not do his job for fear of losing his job.
Deleted
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
June 5th, 2020 at 2:40:59 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Some want all police departments disbanded.

It total BS
Will never happen
Its just like reparations because of slavery
Will never happen

These are extremist views that have nothing to do with reality
Some on the right take extremists political views on the left seriously. That's dumb
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 5th, 2020 at 2:45:33 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

Lots of coverage on Fox, CNN.

Hard to feel sorry for the guy,
at his age he had no business
being there. The universe
punishes the stupid in violent
ways sometimes. What he did
was just plain idiotic for a guy
in his 70's. He should have
known better. On the bright
side he just made his family
wealthy.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 5th, 2020 at 2:45:48 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

Lots of coverage on Fox, CNN. The unit (anti-riot?) that the two cops were in reportedly have ALL resigned in support of the two suspended cops. I believe the cops were wrong, but how are you to clear out people if they don’t follow your verbal instructions if you are not allowed to use some force? I do not even think the two cops wanted him to fall, it looks like they were trying to push him out of the way. They obviously misjudged the guys frailty. But as opposed to keeping your knee in someone’s neck for 8 minutes, this was a split second action. They erred. But if that error costs you an entire career, as it almost certainly will, the next cop will just not do his job for fear of losing his job.

It happened in Baltimore when they charged those cops with Murder-1 when that guy died in the paddy wagon. It is the only sane thing to do. These neighborhoods will go back to the unlivable conditions of the 70s.

In a way I wonder if that is not how they really want it? Gentrification has been an issue a decade or more now. People getting priced out. Unlike when whites were blockbusted out in the 60s/70s today the blacks being priced out have nowhere to go. So perhaps let the neighborhood slide and "reclaim" it?
The President is a fink.
June 5th, 2020 at 2:45:52 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
They erred. But if that error costs you an entire career, as it almost certainly will, the next cop will just not do his job for fear of losing his job.

I'd like to hear about anyone doing their job who worried so much about a bad guy in the same profession they were afraid to do their regular job. If the bad guy was falsely accused, that's something to worry about. If you're also doing the wrong thing, you deserve to worry. If you've been doing the right thing and none of the latter applies you can relax.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 5th, 2020 at 2:47:03 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
I'd like to hear about anyone doing their job who worried so much about a bad guy in the same profession they were afraid to do their regular job. If the bad guy was falsely accused, that's something to worry about. If you're also doing the wrong thing, you deserve to worry. If you've been doing the right thing and none of the latter applies you can relax.

That is fine until the media decides the line after the fact.
The President is a fink.
June 5th, 2020 at 2:51:32 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: AZDuffman
That is fine until the media decides the line after the fact.

That's under falsely accused. If you know plenty of good guys being falsely accused, that's a legit worry. This incident wasn't.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 5th, 2020 at 2:54:55 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Evenbob
Quote: terapined
Criminal charges absolutely. It does not take much to seriously injure the elderly.

Old white guy? Yawn, nobody will
care.

If I was a cop and had to clear an area and encountered an elderly person
I would not touch him.
What really shocks me is multiple cops walked right by him when it was clear he suffered a head wound and was out cold
If this was a cop laying there out cold with a head in a blood puddle, no way a cop walks by and ignores this.
I am fine with these cops resigning
Reminds me of this incident
Elderly Grandfather from India visiting his family. Does not speak English
Cops put him in intensive care for no reason

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 5th, 2020 at 3:25:28 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
Quote: kenarman
It sounds easy "use the absolute minimal force". Problem is you only know the answer to that in hind site.....

Exactly the same philosophy our government used in handling the China virus back in January. Nobody could have imagined back then that it would escalate to where it is today, start small and ramp up restrictions when needed. That's the way we treat everything, sensibly.