Space Force

Page 2 of 4<1234>
May 16th, 2020 at 3:42:05 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Gandler

Official Flag released:
"The official flag of the Space Force is derived from key and central elements of the seal of the United States Space Force, presented on a black field fringed in platinum with the words “United States Space Force” and Roman numerals MMXIX (2019) below the seal. "

President Trump unveils the Official Flag of the United States Space Force:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiLn_w_lL_s

This is another great step for America. Also, an excellent Flag and emblem.

Not bad looking. And Space Force about 20 years after we should have had it.

They question is once up and running how many points should I lay when they play Army? Or anyone else?
The President is a fink.
May 16th, 2020 at 5:52:40 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73

Official Flag released:
"The official flag of the Space Force is derived from key and central elements of the seal of the United States Space Force, presented on a black field fringed in platinum with the words “United States Space Force” and Roman numerals MMXIX (2019) below the seal. "

This is another great step for America. Also, an excellent Flag and emblem.

I thinks its stupid and a star trek fan boys wet dream
Its a waste of money
Space force?????? We are sending Buck Rodgers up there to do battle?
Space should be about science, not this stupid fantasy force.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 16th, 2020 at 6:34:59 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: terapined
I thinks its stupid and a star trek fan boys wet dream
Its a waste of money
Space force?????? We are sending Buck Rodgers up there to do battle?
Space should be about science, not this stupid fantasy force.

Its really not a waste of money (though I think it should be more heavily funded).

Essentially what happened is everything in the AF that was space related was moved to the Space Force. It is still under the Department of the Airforce (kind of like how the Marines are under the Department of the Navy but a separate branch).

Department of Defense:
There is Department of the Army which has: Army.
Department of the Navy: Marines and Navy. The Coast Guard can get pulled into department of the Navy during wartime I believe.
Department of the Air Force: Airforce and Space Force.

Homeland Security:
Coast Guard (Coast Guard is the only military branch that is under Homeland Security), this allows it to enforce laws on U.S. soil (and water). It is the only military branch that is also law enforcement. (The Army National Guard and Air National Guard, and potentially Space National Guard can enforce laws only when under State Governor orders, the federal military cannot enforce laws in the U.S.)

Anyway the point is, it is not spending much more than we are already spending, they are just getting their own branch.

As for why its necessary, it is highly necessary. For defense against asteroids, space trash and satellite maintenance. The idea that there will be people going into space routinely is wrong. Like most things terrestrial, Space is becoming unmanned. Most of Space Force works on a computer. Space vessels can be controlled from a computer, and eventually will be autonomous. Just like drones replacing bombers and infantry, remotely controlled space craft will replace the need for manned vehicles. Its not going to be like in the movies with Soldiers in Space battling ship to ship, if there are ever any battles it will all almost certainly be robots and machines....
May 16th, 2020 at 6:52:17 AM permalink
AZDuffman

As for why its necessary, it is highly necessary. For defense against asteroids, space trash and satellite maintenance. The idea that there will be people going into space routinely is wrong. Like most things terrestrial, Space is becoming unmanned. Most of Space Force works on a computer. Space vessels can be controlled from a computer, and eventually will be autonomous. Just like drones replacing bombers and infantry, remotely controlled space craft will replace the need for manned vehicles. Its not going to be like in the movies with Soldiers in Space battling ship to ship, if there are ever any battles it will all almost certainly be robots and machines....

The people making fun of it are the same ones who made fun of SDI. SDI got us GPS, Patriot missiles, and the Iron Dome that protects Israel. They have no understanding or the complexities of real life.

But you forgot to add it is about making sure our satellites are safe. Imagine if you knocked GPS out! People under 40 would be near incapable of getting around as they have little map skills due to GPS. Us old folk would be wounded but have to go back to the old ways. Then there are the communications and weather satellites. Anyone who thinks China is not figuring a way to knock those out is smoking something.

I am not sure how unmanned it gets. Satellite repair will need to be done by humans. Huge number of experiments to be done in zero-G. We may one day find a way to do precision manufacturing up there. Then just the idea that man tries to expand, space is a natural part of that.
The President is a fink.
May 16th, 2020 at 7:01:10 AM permalink
Gandler
Quote: AZDuffman
The people making fun of it are the same ones who made fun of SDI. SDI got us GPS, Patriot missiles, and the Iron Dome that protects Israel. They have no understanding or the complexities of real life.

But you forgot to add it is about making sure our satellites are safe. Imagine if you knocked GPS out! People under 40 would be near incapable of getting around as they have little map skills due to GPS. Us old folk would be wounded but have to go back to the old ways. Then there are the communications and weather satellites. Anyone who thinks China is not figuring a way to knock those out is smoking something.

I am not sure how unmanned it gets. Satellite repair will need to be done by humans. Huge number of experiments to be done in zero-G. We may one day find a way to do precision manufacturing up there. Then just the idea that man tries to expand, space is a natural part of that.

I did mention Satellite maintenance, but you are right that satellite security is also important. Besides routine issues there is always the possibility for an enemy attack on out satellites either physically or virtually. And, as more countries become Space Powers this will grow in concern.

If ISIS (or the next equivalent) or even North Korea (perhaps as a proxy from China influxing them with tech) ever gets space capabilities, we can be in big trouble without protection. Because as you say, much of our world depends on those satellites for everything.
May 16th, 2020 at 7:12:21 AM permalink
AZDuffman
I did mention Satellite maintenance, but you are right that satellite security is also important. Besides routine issues there is always the possibility for an enemy attack on out satellites either physically or virtually. And, as more countries become Space Powers this will grow in concern.

If ISIS (or the next equivalent) or even North Korea (perhaps as a proxy from China influxing them with tech) ever gets space capabilities, we can be in big trouble without protection. Because as you say, much of our world depends on those satellites for everything.

One other thing. One day solar power will be collected in space and beamed to earth. Tesla (man, not company) thought up sending it thru the air when he was alive. It was one of those things the experts say, "It will work if we can figure it out."
The President is a fink.
May 16th, 2020 at 7:31:15 AM permalink
Gandler
Quote: AZDuffman
One other thing. One day solar power will be collected in space and beamed to earth. Tesla (man, not company) thought up sending it thru the air when he was alive. It was one of those things the experts say, "It will work if we can figure it out."

There is actually an interesting project to put solar panels on the moon.

But, I agree that when energy becomes transferable by such a fashion, it will be a huge step forward. I honestly don't know much about historic Tesla, but if that is true he was way ahead of his time.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/glenn/2019/building-solar-panels-in-space-might-be-as-easy-as-clicking-print
May 16th, 2020 at 7:50:33 AM permalink
AZDuffman
There is actually an interesting project to put solar panels on the moon.

But, I agree that when energy becomes transferable by such a fashion, it will be a huge step forward. I honestly don't know much about historic Tesla, but if that is true he was way ahead of his time.

Bo, the dude was ahead of OUR time. I saw the History Channel thing on him. Guy was a tortured soul. One of my favorite bachelors in history, but tortured. But I also read the idea at Stratfor. Our current solar is not all that efficient and never will be. But you put a satellite up with some solar panels! Never covered by clouds, no natural filters. Just need to find a way to beam it down. Likely 100+ years away.
The President is a fink.
May 16th, 2020 at 8:06:16 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
IAnyway the point is, it is not spending much more than we are already spending, they are just getting their own branch.

Just wait as their own branch, their budget will explode. Just common sense
Yea its fun to spend money
Its more responsible to balance the budget but unfortunately most politicians are not responsible adults.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 16th, 2020 at 8:29:36 AM permalink
Gandler
Quote: terapined
Just wait as their own branch, their budget will explode. Just common sense
Yea its fun to spend money
Its more responsible to balance the budget but unfortunately most politicians are not responsible adults.

It will eventually because in the coming decades space will become more critical.

I love science and discovery. I think if there is anything wise to spend money on, this is it. And, it may make the difference between life or death of not just America, but humanity.

Even Neil De Grasse Tyson knows how critical asteroid defense and space debris defense is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeZdL1Oq9sQ

The balance has not been budgeted in decades, and probably never will be....
Page 2 of 4<1234>