DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Evenbob
Made chicken and veggies in the
pressure cooker tonight. Chicken
broth and 1/4 cup Franks. It was
perfect, any other hot sauce and
it would have been inedible.

I think Cholula is a great condiment, Frank's is to much vinegar for me.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
March 2nd, 2020 at 12:43:57 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: SOOPOO
I've had a big bottle of Tapatio, Frank's, and Sriracha sauce in my fridge.

Try Huy Fong Sambal Oelek Chili Paste instead of Sriracha. It's healthier since there is no sugar.
March 2nd, 2020 at 3:54:22 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
It [matouks] is good s#$%. If you like cooked greens there is nothing better you can put in them, but also great on sandwiches, + with black beans, etc. I've resigned myself to just ordering it online, too hard to find otherwise.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
March 3rd, 2020 at 3:54:15 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I go by what has the least sugar, the most vinegar and is priced at two for one.

Use it on shoe leather meat, boiled asparagus, etc.
March 3rd, 2020 at 7:32:45 AM permalink
odiousgambit
forgot to mention this one, another fave

Yes it's Mexican, which I said I avoided, however this one is made from habanero peppers and is really one of the best out there

March 4th, 2020 at 9:05:11 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Crystal
Not too hot and I like the flavor
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 4th, 2020 at 2:58:49 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
I’m a Melinda’s fan. Even their hottest sauces are still edible, and their flavors are fantastic.

March 4th, 2020 at 6:17:09 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Mosca
I’m a Melinda’s fan. Even their hottest sauces are still edible, and their flavors are fantastic.

Melinda's NEW GHOST Pepper Hot Sauce, 5oz. Scoville Heat Units (SHU): 250,000 - 1,000,000.

That's a pretty high SHU rating. Are you sure they are edible?

El Yucateco Salsa Picante de Chile Habanero Green, 8oz. Scoville Heat Units (SHU): 50,000 - 250,000.

A notch down the scale of SHU rating.

Personally I find a pretty solid line that I won't cross between Habanero and Ghost Peppers.
March 5th, 2020 at 3:52:42 AM permalink
odiousgambit
of course I can go from enjoying a meal to not enjoying it by using too much of, say, El Yucateco. And even Tabasco if you go crazy.

the very hottest hot sauces "cheat" by adding the same capsaicin extract used in bear spray. These are ridiculously hot but back in the day I used to like to add Dave's Insanity [SHU: 250,000 - 1,000,000] to my bbq sauce. There are even hotter ones out there*. When I was a bachelor I could make things as hot as I liked and do like very hot bbq sauce. Like just about anything you get used to hotter and hotter if you go in that direction. Currently, I can't take it as hot as in those days.

I've seen claims that you can get addicted to hot sauce due to the release of endorphins - painkillers your body produces.

*example: https://www.mohotta.com/product/artifact-acute-extract/heat-level-10-plus
March 5th, 2020 at 7:31:41 AM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
I don’t consider Dave’s Insanity or Blair’s Death food items. They are chemicals. (Obviously everything are chemicals. You know what I mean.)

From Melinda’s website, “ Melinda’s® doesn’t make sauces that just burn, we make sauces that sizzle with flavor. We believe that pepper sauces are not just measured by units of heat, but more importantly by flavor. What makes a pepper sauce extraordinary is balancing the heat and flavor perfectly.“

Everyone whom I’ve given a taste of Melinda’s has raved about the flavor. Even with the Ghost and Scorpion, they are still delicious. Obviously if you don’t like the heat, you won’t like them. But there are lower levels available. Me, I put that stuff on everything.

You can start with the easiest one. It’s about as hot as a Tabasco based sauce. It’s about taking the flavor of the habañero and making it shine. So, same heat, different taste.

Page 2 of 3<123>