No votes (0%)
1 vote (6.66%)
1 vote (6.66%)

15 members have voted

January 11th, 2021 at 4:26:23 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Gandler
That was kind of my original point. People are finally starting to take hand washing seriously. (along with other common sense things like minimize surface touching, carry hand sanitizer everywhere, don't get close to people, etc..)
One thing that has improved, albeit for a short time is, at the grocery store when customers line up at the cashier. It's always been a peeve of mine that the person following me can't stay back a couple steps, so the stores furnish those little 1x1" batons for the closest customer to place on the feed belt so the next customer can rush in and put their groceries up long before the current transaction is near completion. Awwgh. No matter how much the person behind rushes in and gets the grub on the conveyor, it does not get them out the door one millisecond sooner. All purchases need to be scanned and paid for, bagged, etc. before the one in the big hurry can start being counted.

I've always waited back for the person in front of me, sometimes they want to reach back and grab a gum or a smut magazine or whatever. No need to jam them in the ass with my cart, or the next customer to jam one up my backside.

It is the same logic on airplanes. One time some airline figured out that by loading the back of the plane first, and first class last, they could save hundreds of thousands of dollars per year because planes load much quicker that way. Whenever I've flown 1st class or sit toward the front of the plane, I try to hold back and let people go before me, that really makes sense in these Covid days, it always did. I'm not a real people contact person, I don't like all the accidental rubbing and contact, or oral/nasal spray.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
January 11th, 2021 at 4:49:31 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: AZDuffman
It is not a matter of "no reason not to" it is a matter of "what reason to do so?"

I do not see how injecting flu into my body is a good thing.

To decrease your risk of getting infected by a illness, that is at best a massive painful annoyance and will cause you to miss work, and at worse something that can kill you.

Quote: petroglyph
One thing that has improved, albeit for a short time is, at the grocery store when customers line up at the cashier. It's always been a peeve of mine that the person following me can't stay back a couple steps, so the stores furnish those little 1x1" batons for the closest customer to place on the feed belt so the next customer can rush in and put their groceries up long before the current transaction is near completion. Awwgh. No matter how much the person behind rushes in and gets the grub on the conveyor, it does not get them out the door one millisecond sooner. All purchases need to be scanned and paid for, bagged, etc. before the one in the big hurry can start being counted.

I've always waited back for the person in front of me, sometimes they want to reach back and grab a gum or a smut magazine or whatever. No need to jam them in the ass with my cart, or the next customer to jam one up my backside.

It is the same logic on airplanes. One time some airline figured out that by loading the back of the plane first, and first class last, they could save hundreds of thousands of dollars per year because planes load much quicker that way. Whenever I've flown 1st class or sit toward the front of the plane, I try to hold back and let people go before me, that really makes sense in these Covid days, it always did. I'm not a real people contact person, I don't like all the accidental rubbing and contact, or oral/nasal spray.

Yeah I 100% agree. Illness risk aside, one reason I hate grocery shopping is because of how obnoxious most people are. I can't stand when people feel the need to stand right behind you as if that will change the speed of the line. People seem to treat grocery shopping like rush hour..... One pre-COVID example is there was some elderly lady who was taking some time to pay (I can't remember if it was card issues or whatever, doesn't matter), and this dude behind me was blatantly grunting and getting closer and closer to me like he was in some massive rush, and seemed to be annoyed that I was not "moving up" -already had my stuff on the belt so there was not much else I could do- (he just had beer and soda in his cart so I doubt he was rushing home to feed his kids or whatever), and then grabbed my arm and said, "This is absurd man, you need to do something". And, I replied, "like what rewire the card reader ? get in another line if you are so concerned, I am in no rush she can take her time and wait for the machine to reset". (The elderly lady then told the cashier to add my groceries to her card).

This is one of many reasons I prefer self-checkout, I'll happily do it myself to avoid crowds and people get stupid for no reason.

Airplanes are another great example. The airplane leaves when boarding is complete and it is cleared to leave. Even if I am 1st or business Class I like to wait until everyone is on the plane. There is literally no reason to rush the boarding agent, it changes nothing (actually it slows things when 1st class boards first and takes forever to stow their bags, which I never do anyway).... I just chill in the boarding area and have a beer or something and wait for the line to be over then I hop on....

A lot of people are in a hurry to wait. Generally your behavior in such stations never makes things faster and can only make you look like an impatient buffoon. Just my view.
January 11th, 2021 at 4:59:54 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
To decrease your risk of getting infected by a illness, that is at best a massive painful annoyance and will cause you to miss work, and at worse something that can kill you.

Illnesses are part of life. Chances of dying from the flu are extremely low.
The President is a fink.
January 11th, 2021 at 7:09:35 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22

True. And even rarer if you get a flu shot. I probably have a 1 in 20,000 chance of dying from the flu next year if I don’t get inoculated. Maybe 1 in 200,000 if I do. I’ll take the minimal pain and inconvenience for that added protection. I had the flu once before I started getting annual vaccinations. A MISERABLE week. I happened to be on vacation. Barely left my bed for 7 days.

My hospital did NOT require me to get a flu shot, but if you chose not to you had to wear a mask even when not in the OR. NO THANK YOU!
January 11th, 2021 at 11:18:10 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189

Yup, we should probably stop giving vaccinations to pets and let them suffer or even die as well as spread disease to other healthy animals.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 12th, 2021 at 3:12:11 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
Yup, we should probably stop giving vaccinations to pets and let them suffer or even die as well as spread disease to other healthy animals.

That makes little sense as pet vaccinations do not have side effects. And the results of not having one are severe.

Flu shots can and do. Thus if you are not in a profession that needs then or a risk group the reasons to take them drop in a major way.
The President is a fink.
January 12th, 2021 at 10:36:56 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
That makes little sense as pet vaccinations do not have side effects. And the results of not having one are severe.

Flu shots can and do. Thus if you are not in a profession that needs then or a risk group the reasons to take them drop in a major way.

Death is part of life. They’ve got to live their life.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 13th, 2021 at 10:26:42 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
This is how you do it
https://dcist.com/story/21/01/12/activists-give-away-marijuana-at-dc-covid-vaccination-sites/
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 14th, 2021 at 2:15:53 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
News reports that NJ has listed ‘smokers’ as a group now eligible for vaccination! So if everything else is the same, and you wouldn’t qualify, just bring a cigarette!
January 15th, 2021 at 4:09:16 AM permalink
Shrek
Threads: 6
I have always gotten a flu shot every year

Gee, why am I not surprised?? 😂😂