No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (6.66%)
1 vote (6.66%)

15 members have voted

February 4th, 2020 at 12:23:49 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
It interesting that a lot of conservatives such as EB were totally freaking out on ebola but not this virus.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 4th, 2020 at 12:28:29 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine
Aren’t you the guy with a bunker and a years worth of Spaghetti-Os?

Full of carbs, you eat them. I have
a pantry like every other person
who cooks his own meals.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 4th, 2020 at 12:29:44 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: terapined
It interesting that a lot of conservatives such as EB were totally freaking out on ebola

I never freak out on any disease,
I barely notice. When my neighbor
drops dead, maybe..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 4th, 2020 at 12:59:12 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: DRich
I would enjoy seeing a pandemic. I have never lived through one...

Yes, you have. I was floating on Chautauqua the day they closed Lakewood because of H1N1. Nearly a billion infections across 214 countries with hundreds of thousands dead is dictionary definition pandemic.

This puts it into perspective, and likely explains why few care.

Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
February 4th, 2020 at 1:03:41 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Wizard
I'm surprised there isn't a thread for this yet. Some people I speak to feel this could be a major pandemic and are stocking up on six months worth of food and water. Just this morning I learned Macau will be closing all hotels for two weeks. I know the death count is not that high so far, but the numbers of that and infections seems to be rising exponentially.

Personally, I'm not an epidemiologist so don't have much to contribute to the discussion. I am very interested in SOOPOO's opinion.

The question for the poll is what do you think the fatality count will be by the end of 2020?

Not an expert by any means. More people will die of malaria in Africa this week than will die from coronavirus over the next decade (my guess). It seems like the mortality rate is quite low, maybe a per cent or two, and I'd bet even lower at a standard American hospital. I would guess it is a risk, but most likely an over reaction by those in charge. Kind of like the cost of keeping out dangerous illegal aliens, the cost to keep it out may be in the millions or tens of millions per life saved.
I have no way to really know, but I agree with those that think this will be short lived like SARS or Zika or Ebola.

Supposedly the stock market tanked on Monday because of coronavirus. Must be contained by Wednesday as market is up a boatload.
February 4th, 2020 at 1:12:32 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: Face
Yes, you have. I was floating on Chautauqua the day they closed Lakewood because of H1N1. Nearly a billion infections across 214 countries with hundreds of thousands dead is dictionary definition pandemic.

This puts it into perspective, and likely explains why few care.

That's a fascinating chart. I was under the (mistaken) impression that Ebola's fatality rate is much much higher.
February 4th, 2020 at 1:22:25 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: reno
That's a fascinating chart.

For many reasons. I too thought Ebola was more a death sentence. And I had no idea bird flu was even more so. And then the super scary swine flu, only 0.02%?

I liked rxwine's perspective. I guess you do kinda just have to scare the crap out of people, because people as a group are stupid and can't be relied on to do what's best. I guess panic's better than pandemics.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
February 4th, 2020 at 1:27:27 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Face
For many reasons. I too thought Ebola was more a death sentence. And I had no idea bird flu was even more so. And then the super scary swine flu, only 0.02%?

I liked rxwine's perspective. I guess you do kinda just have to scare the crap out of people, because people as a group are stupid and can't be relied on to do what's best. I guess panic's better than pandemics.

A lot of people forget that the flu of 1918 was a lot more devastating then World War 1
WWI 18 million deaths
1918 flu 50 million deaths
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 4th, 2020 at 2:00:40 PM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
With El Presidente Trump in charge we have nothing to fear. He will prevail over this and any other virus that threatens the American people.
February 4th, 2020 at 2:03:17 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: pew
With El Presidente Trump in charge we have nothing to fear. He will prevail over this and any other virus that threatens the American people.

Maybe he can absorb it into his body fat like a superhero. He's 75% KFC grease.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
Page 2 of 906<12345>Last »