5 votes (100%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)

5 members have voted

January 29th, 2020 at 6:23:09 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
evidently this gets misrepresented, you decide if it is the youtube person or this link that is misrepresenting it
Quote:
Certain types of fig are male and female and so require a special breed of wasp to pollinate the females.

The female wasp crawls inside through a hole so narrow that she loses her wings in the process and becomes trapped. If the fig is a male, she lays her eggs inside. These hatch into larvae that burrow out, turn into wasps and fly off, carrying fig pollen with them. If the wasp climbs into a female fig, she pollinates it, but cannot lay her eggs and just dies alone.

Luckily for us, the female fig produces an enzyme that digests this wasp completely. The crunchy bits are seeds, not wasp parts

https://www.sciencefocus.com/nature/is-it-true-there-are-dead-wasps-in-figs/
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 29th, 2020 at 6:46:40 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Wizard
I did not know that, nor does it bother me. Our bodies are crawling with microscopic bugs. It's completely natural.
We are what we eat ... and what eats us!
Although the urban legend about worms in figs is not true, we are heavily influenced by a variety of micro-organisms as many such organisms control a variety of endogenous neurohormones that affect our moods and dietary preferences. Often parasites affect us more than we realize and current medical views embrace co-existence rather than eradication. So is it better to fight an infection or consider the infectious organism's needs and accommodate them?
January 29th, 2020 at 7:05:10 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: odiousgambit
I voted for fig newtons because I never noticed the others

That is somewhat odd. As one of the oldest cookies in the country there are lots of copies.
February 5th, 2020 at 4:58:10 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
I like the ones from Trader Joe's. They are Trader Joe's branded.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
February 6th, 2020 at 3:15:35 AM permalink
Fleastiff
low fat usually means they've taken out the good stuff and replaced it with bad.

Organic usually has no defined meaning; its just an adjective used by salesmen.

I doubt Trader Joe makes them. Someone bakes them and wraps them in Trader Joe's packaging.
February 6th, 2020 at 4:58:30 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: Fleastiff
low fat usually means they've taken out the good stuff and replaced it with bad.

Organic usually has no defined meaning; its just an adjective used by salesmen.

I doubt Trader Joe makes them. Someone bakes them and wraps them in Trader Joe's packaging.

I don’t believe that they are labeled as low fat, but I’d have to look again. Same thing with, “Organic,” though I do know at $1.99/package, they are as cheap as any others I have seen.

Most store-branded type items are not actually manufactured by the store, so that’s anything. There are sure to be a few exceptions where the stores actually do manufacture the items, but I can’t think of any off the top of my head. This is even true with some items that are, “Generic,” or lower-priced without being store-branded. Like the L’Oven Fresh bread you can find at Aldi stores in my area, Nickles Bakery makes that and puts it in a different bag.

In any case, I disregard, “Organic,” completely. I only care about the price and what I am getting, so, “Organic,” does not factor at all.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
February 6th, 2020 at 6:27:09 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
I just looked, my Trader Joe's Fig Bites make no claims to be low-fat or organic, just, "Made with Turkish figs," which means that they have more than 0.000000000000000000% Turkish figs, even if not much more than that.
February 6th, 2020 at 7:26:32 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: Mission146
I just looked, my Trader Joe's Fig Bites make no claims to be low-fat or organic, ......
Those terms relate to the other choices in the poll.
February 6th, 2020 at 4:14:04 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Trader Joe's This Fig Walks Into a Bar Cereal Bars (low fat) $12.99 for 7.9 ounces (or $1.65 per counce)
Nabisco Fig Newtons Chewy Cookies $10.51 for 48 ounces (or $0.21 per counce)
Turkish figs are about 45 cents per ounce (retail)

Quote: Mission146
I just looked, my Trader Joe's Fig Bites make no claims to be low-fat or organic, just, "Made with Turkish figs," which means that they have more than 0.000000000000000000% Turkish figs, even if not much more than that.

Trader Joe's bars are very expensive. They should be able to afford any fig they want.
February 6th, 2020 at 4:20:47 PM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
I like the strawberry Newton’s but I guess thats not a fig bar.
Page 2 of 3<123>